ok this is a question thats been bothering me for a while.

on one hand, people say that spider IIs and IIIs are crap.

whereas my sisters bf has got one and loves it.

who do i believe and why?!
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
It's all opinion. If he loves it, good for him. He's got an amp he likes.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
Who do you believe? Just believe what you like yourself. Have a listen or try it sometime at his place. In my opinion, there is better amplifiers out there for the price. They would make a good starter amp, but by no means would I consider them for gigging or anything.
Quote by Hoodoo Child

The reason for this is, opinions, people don't always agree.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
The amps are great but definetly not for gigs, they're better for recording and practice or beginning,they also have tons of onboard effects.
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
I've got a 75 watt Spider III and personally love it. Probably because my previous amp was a 15 watt Marshall MG, but still, it's an improvement. People keep telling me "It sounds so digital and artificial" which annoys me because who the hell would listen that carefully to an amp to be able to tell the difference?!

In my opinion, it's a good amp.
they are great for what they do. people on here say they are crap because they don't have the same tonal qualities of a tube amp. however, for a solid state amp, they handle themselves quite nicely. i love mine. it does great for what its meant to do. however, it's not as clear as a good tube amp.

as everyone else has said, though. it really is all opinion. everyone has different ears
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by A-G-guitarist
I've got a 75 watt Spider III and personally love it. Probably because my previous amp was a 15 watt Marshall MG, but still, it's an improvement. People keep telling me "It sounds so digital and artificial" which annoys me because who the hell would listen that carefully to an amp to be able to tell the difference?!

In my opinion, it's a good amp.

wow...you've never heard a tube amp, or even a high end ss amp for that matter...have you....it's actually very easy to tell unless you are deaf
Quote by AdamDK
Who do you believe? Just believe what you like yourself. Have a listen or try it sometime at his place. In my opinion, there is better amplifiers out there for the price. They would make a good starter amp, but by no means would I consider them for gigging or anything.

he used his spider for gigging and his band got signed.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
^ Good for him. But one guitarists tone doesn't make the full band, it's not like it would have stopped them being signed.
They're not bad for the price and are a good choice for lots of people. You can get a lot of tones and effects and alot of wattage and volume for a very low price. Just go play through one and see if you like it.

I bet a lot of people who bash them have never even played through them and are just repeating what they hear other people say. It's funny how so many ppl love the Line 6 multiFX units, yet they hate the amps that have all the same built in tones.
Never played a big one, but personally I hink a small (15 watt) one is fine as a practice amp. I just wouldn't use one at a gig or anything.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by AdamDK
^ Good for him. But one guitarists tone doesn't make the full band, it's not like it would have stopped them being signed.

lol most people who listen to music dont even know what tone means
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by hunter33
I bet a lot of people who bash them have never even played through them and are just repeating what they hear other people say. It's funny how so many ppl love the Line 6 multiFX units, yet they hate the amps that have all the same built in tones.

I bet a lot of people bashing them have tried them as they're all over the place. I have, I had to gig with one once And also, the amps and multi-fx's don't sound exactly the same. And many people's problem with the amps is that they're over priced.
When I had one and played it on clean I could hear the bad tone, I got rid of mine, gave it to my dad.

I also think the effects sound artificial because no matter what pickup you're playing through it sounds the same.
I'm not prejudice against SS amps, I don't own a tube, I gig with a SS kustom all the time. The spider is just gross.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by AdamDK
I bet a lot of people bashing them have tried them as they're all over the place. I have, I had to gig with one once And also, the amps and multi-fx's don't sound exactly the same. And many people's problem with the amps is that they're over priced.

I've not gigged with one, but I did gig once with a guy who played through one and it didn't sound bad. I've had the opportunity to try the 75 and 150 watt Spiders as well. For the features and sheer amount of built in effects & modeling they are not overpriced. The reason the amps and multifx don't sound the same is because the discrete multiFX are not using the same amp and speaker as the modeling amp. If you were to get a keyboard amp with the same Eminence speaker it would sound very similar to the amp with modeling.

Tone is subjective and there are lots of snobbish types out there who don't like anything but a broken up tube tone. Doesn't mean it's better, it just means those people prefer that tone.
Former Spider 3 owner here: The Spider 3 is a fine amp, many tone options and easy to use for a beginer. However, for the same money there are better sounding amps out there.
Quote by Hoodoo Child

he doesnt know good tone and the amps generally dont sound all that great.
Well clearly he has very little ear for timbre (NOT TONE, TONE IS A CERTAIN NOTE)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
it sounds very thin and digital, and would be painful at high volumes, but its not as bad as some people claim

and also people who dont play guitar can hardly the tell the difference its kinda weird
Quote by im_bored
it sounds very thin and digital, and would be painful at high volumes,

ive never heard this thinness on my spider. in fact, ive never heard thinness in my tone. ive actually had more problem with the sound being overly thick sometimes. and the high volumes thing is a myth, too, or at least the problem has been dealt with. i've cranked my 150watt with EVERYTHING maxed out on insane, for two of my friends (one of which owns a marshall JCM2000 stack), and there wasnt any clipping or painful highs. of course, on his spider II there is that clipping at rly high volumes, but not on the spider III
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
If he likes it, then he likes it. Its all preference anyway.

I personally think Mesa Rectifiers sound like crap, am I tone deaf too?
Well, the spider isn't that bad. It's got a "sweet spot" on about 4-5 on the volume, but anything under/above that is absolute crap. Trust me, i've got one. They're okay, for bedroom practice, but most people hate them just to be on the banwagon, because anyone who says they're TOTAL crap, hasn't played one. It's not the worst amp ever, but it's definately not the best.

And if he likes it, good for him, but like EVERYTHING in accordance to amps, TRYING IT OUT YOURSELF AND GETTING YOUR OWN OPINION is the only thing that matters.

--TheBax
O O

___
Quote by Hoodoo Child
he used his spider for gigging and his band got signed.

that proves what? he could be an amazing guitarist, just because he has a line 6 spider III(other line 6 amps are very good), doesn't mean he sucks
Wonder how many of the people that constantly bash the spiders have actually tried to dial one in? Most of them have probably tried them (if they have at all) using only the presets. Any amp regardless of whether it's tube or solid state has to be dialed in to sound good.
Well, I got a Line 6 Spider III 15 Watt amp, and its pretty good for me, the sound is pretty cool.

If you want to practice like just in your room or something, I think you should get one. Now, if you want to perform gigs and concerts and stuff,..... i dont know, I think you'd be better off with something else. Hope I can help
Try it if you'd like it.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Spider III's are awesome if theyre 115 watts, ive never tried one thats lower, they also come with a built in tuner
I got a Spider III 150 watts and before I never dared to turn the volume knob over 4-5 because it's so loud (yet solid and clear, before anyone complains). I've gigged with this amp (finetuned to my own needs ofcourse) and it hasn't let me down a single time. I do admit I don't use the onboard distortion and use either my friend's GT8 or my Boss MT-2 and/or MD-2 (which sound amazing when you set it up right, I use the MT-2 as an overdrive for the builtin Crunch setting as well). I'm using a Strat made by Squier (go figure) yet the tone is amazing... Can't wait to plug my V in (Gibson, duh).

Conclusion (personal): I like the Line 6 Spider III 120-150, although I do admit there are better amps out there, this one is a good starter though!
Rock on..without hesitation
Quote by hunter33
I've not gigged with one, but I did gig once with a guy who played through one and it didn't sound bad. I've had the opportunity to try the 75 and 150 watt Spiders as well. For the features and sheer amount of built in effects & modeling they are not overpriced. The reason the amps and multifx don't sound the same is because the discrete multiFX are not using the same amp and speaker as the modeling amp. If you were to get a keyboard amp with the same Eminence speaker it would sound very similar to the amp with modeling.

Tone is subjective and there are lots of snobbish types out there who don't like anything but a broken up tube tone. Doesn't mean it's better, it just means those people prefer that tone.

finally on ug logic prevails.