ok, correct me if im wrong, but the chords that work in the key of a maj are A, Bmin, C#min, D, E, F#min and G#dim. in the a maj pentatonic i can understand why there is no G# note as it is a dim chord, but why is there no D note, surely it should be there like the A and E as they would all be major chords. hope this makes sense and some one can explain
the pic theif strikes again

Member #1 of im not a member of anything, and i dont wanna be. PM me to join
Man I wish I knew that...I did at some point, and knew how to read music...But I was really young, so now it's forgotten. I'm focusing on more being a singer and rythmn guitarist, than guitarist, so I just used tabs.
it's because of the b9 interval between C# & D. Try playing an Amaj11 chord and you'll hear the dissonance. It is a pretty mellow melodic tension though, so feel free to use it in solos, it resolves nicely down to the C#. D - G# is also a tritone, which are the two notes removed from the major scale to make the major pentatonic
Or
You learn all theory, so all you chord progression are right, but simple.
Or
You don`t learn all the theory and just write a chord progression that is
A: Original and awesome
B: Original and awful
C: Right but simple

Don`t worry too much about the theory, but it`s not wrong to ask that sort of questions.
There are only 7 chords that you can use in any given key. 3 of them are major chords A, D, E,.
G# dim is part of the scale but if your playing rock n roll i wouldn't reccomend using that chord .
the question was about pentatonic. z4twenny answered it. bliggity blam!
so its basically not there due to a technicality, right?
the pic theif strikes again

Member #1 of im not a member of anything, and i dont wanna be. PM me to join
Well it's not there because it's a half-step (1 fret) above the C#. Same deal with the G# not being there since it's a half-step (1 fret) below the A. See every note in a pentatonic scale is at least a whole step (two frets) away from the other notes in the scale. make sense?
^ its not there because its a 5 note scale omitting half steps. i can't think of any other way to explain it.
Quote by MaXiMuse
Or
You learn all theory, so all you chord progression are right, but simple.
Or
You don`t learn all the theory and just write a chord progression that is
A: Original and awesome
B: Original and awful
C: Right but simple

Don`t worry too much about the theory, but it`s not wrong to ask that sort of questions.

Idiot. Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive. It explains why musical concepts sound the way they do. It has absolutely nothing to do with originality, beyond giving you the tools you need to transfer what you hear in your head to your instrument and communicate it to other musicians.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.