im going to buy a bass guitar for my gf and was wondering do i have to buy a special amp like a bass amp or will a regular amp work.
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
A regular amp will work but don't turn it up too loud or the speaker will blow out. I strongly recommend a bass amp but if that's not possible then another amp will work for now as long as you keep it down.
Ok I checked to make sure because I figured you were in high school or something, and your DOB confirms this. Here's the scoop. You are a teenager and you should NOT be spending any serious amount of money on a girl. I don't care who she is or how much she "loves" you after the 3 AMAZING months together you have had. You should buy yourself a bass or just put the money in the bank or something. Because she aint gonna email you no more.
Quote by pwrmax
A regular amp will work but don't turn it up too loud or the speaker will blow out.

Bad advice.

He is right, a guitar amp will work for a while, but eventually it will become worthless from the damage using it on a bass would cause. The speakers aren't made to handle the low frequencies produced by a bass, and using a guitar amp will also seriously affect the tone as it sucks away alot of your low end.

How much are you spending on the bass? You might be better off going for a starter pack mate, you'll get a decent enough bass and amp for someone who is just beginning, and she'll appreciate having some decet sounding equipment rather than playing through a tinny guitar amp. Might encourage her to keep going as well if she enjoys playing, whereas if she plays through a guitar amp and it breaks she could lose interest.
Quote by pwrmax
A regular amp will work but don't turn it up too loud or the speaker will blow out. I strongly recommend a bass amp but if that's not possible then another amp will work for now as long as you keep it down.

that can happen with bass amps too, i did it to a carlsbro at school when i was competing with a drummer
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
Ugh, remember the last time someone posted a thead like this....

Yeah def get her a bass amp, read the FAQ about some good ones for beginers and what not
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by williamdllr
im going to buy a bass guitar for my gf and was wondering do i have to buy a special amp like a bass amp or will a regular amp work.

Your in High School.
The odds are she may dump you in the future or you will dump her.
You will not get that $200ish back.

Don't buy her expensive **** like that.

If you want to really waste your money on that then get her the cheapest bass you can and don't get an amp.

Buy this thing,
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Edge-09-4-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-519941-i1150840.gc">http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Edge-09-4-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-519941-i1150840.gchttp://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Edge-09-4-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-519941-i1150840.gc

its really pretty and you can get it for $80-$115 easily

but i still think thats too much for a high school gf
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by TobyFellrunners
Bad advice.

He is right, a guitar amp will work for a while, but eventually it will become worthless from the damage using it on a bass would cause.

Not really, back in high school I played a bass guitar through a guitar amp for the school's band's rehearsal (quietly) and plugged into the PA system for concerts. I did that for 4 years and the amp maintained its tone.
FAQ - read it
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects