I ordered the Ibanez Jumpstart Kit several months ago and have been playing for a while, even though my E string in particular sits too low, so that I cannot play the 1st fret without it rattling against the fretboard. Sometimes, depending on the angle I rest my bass and if I hold in just the right spot on the 1st fret, I can manage a clean sound, but it's annoying. Everyone I asked said, "Oh, it's your bridge. You can't fix it yourself, and it'll cost a lot to have someone do it for you." So, I've been dealing with the rattle, even though I have a truss rod and probably could tamper with it. I just don't want to ruin it, and I'd rather not spend a lot of money. I'm a poor college student: I really can't afford it, but I will if there's really no other way to fix this problem. The A string rattles far less, but sometimes it does as well. It's really only that 1st fret of the E string, though.

So, what can you tell me to help?
You can do it yourself, but you need to know what you're doing, ask someone you know that knows what they're doing to show you, because if you do mess up it will cost a lot to have someone fix it.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I would just loosen the truss rod.

Looking down the neck towards the bridge you would turn it to the left, lefty loosey righty tighty.

You won't mess anything up as long as you DO NOT CRANK ON IT

Just keep going at 1/8 or so turns and test it out after each adjustment until you get it right.
A truss rod is NOT for adjusting action. There's a way to adjust action on the bridge. What model bass is it?

EDIT: I just looked up the jumpstart package, to adjust the action you need to first take off the string. There's this piece of metal (I believe it's called a saddle) for every string to rest on on the bridge. There should be 2 screw-like thingys under it that you can screw back and forth to raise the saddle and thus raise the action.
Last edited by pwrmax at Aug 5, 2008,
Instead of the truss rod, you might want to try adjusting the saddles on the bridge first. Much easier to do.