Page 1 of 2
Quote by BBC
Having sold close to 100 million albums, Metallica are probably the biggest and most influential heavy metal band ever, and are now about to release their long-awaited ninth studio album.

BBC is nubcakes.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
BBC is nubcakes.

Can you really disagree with that statement? Anyone who disagrees they're the biggest and most influential is just an idiot.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
Quote by Minkaro
Sabbath, maybe? In terms of influential, anyway.

CORRECT!
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Quote by rickmeister
Can you really disagree with that statement? Anyone who disagrees they're the biggest and most influential is just an idiot.

Metallica's influence on metal extends as far as my left nut extends from my right. Not very.

Quote by Minkaro

Quote by Nocomment
CORRECT!

This.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Minkaro

Well yeah you're right there, lol. But to call the BBC nubcakes for a fairly accurate statement is wrong
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
Quote by rickmeister

Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

Quote by smb
I always watch the Culture Show so I'll probably watch it despite Metallica

culture to them= english wankstain indie bands, artists who have no discernable talent and not many good foreign films.
Quote by Jackolas
I want this riff pumping out my 5.1 surround..

0 000 0 0 0 0000 x12

lulz my girlfriend always takes the piss out of metal because its always

00000 000000 00000 000000

the train
Quote by darkstar2466
Metallica's influence on metal extends as far as my left nut extends from my right. Not very.

Meh, not Metallica's fault if you've got tiny balls.
Not saying Metallica are the definition of metal or the best in the genre but they've influenced every metal band that's come after them.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
Quote by Phazer
culture to them= english wankstain indie bands, artists who have no discernable talent and not many good foreign films.
So? It's not like there is a huge choice of arts review programs on TV! I wish there were a lot more
That isn't just any riff though.. it is the best open string riff ever IMHO (Disposable Heroes).

Love the way the drums phase into it and back it up.
Quote by rickmeister
Not saying Metallica are the definition of metal or the best in the genre but they've influenced every metal band that's come after them.

Slayer outdid Metallica right from the get-go.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by rickmeister

nah i was in a vegetarian progressive grindcore band and they were more influenced by Quorn and other nu metal bands
The repeat later in the week will probably have an extra song - they usually do that on the repeat.
Ewwwwwwwwww Slayer. Honestly that music is just noise. They're hardly bigger than Metallica are they
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
Quote by smb
The repeat later in the week will probably have an extra song - they usually do that on the repeat.

they should do smelly cat by phoebe in friends thats what hetfield sings like now
Quote by darkstar2466

Sorry darkstar2466, you are a good guy and all but Slayer did not outdo Metallica musically from the get-go. The first 4 Metallica albums are great in my opinion due to the variety they hold (heavy, fast, slower, soft, etc) and song writing quality.

Personally, metal bands benefit from not just being "right, lets play heavy all the time".

Partly what seperates the good from the great, even if you like extreme musics.
Quote by rickmeister
Ewwwwwwwwww Slayer. Honestly that music is just noise. They're hardly bigger than Metallica are they

you like slipknot and slayer is just noise?!? maybe you are just into metal because all the grown up kids like it at school. one of my guitar pupils had a cannibal corpse tshirt and he didnt know they were a band.
Ahhhh you were being serious about Disposable Heroes, thought you were being sarcastic. That's Metallica's best song right there
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
Quote by Jackolas
Sorry darkstar2466, you are a good guy and all but Slayer did not outdo Metallica musically from the get-go. The first 4 Metallica albums are great in my opinion due to the variety they hold (heavy, fast, slower, soft, etc) and song writing quality.

Personally, metal bands benefit from not just being "right, lets play heavy all the time".

this is correct. well observed.
Quote by rickmeister
Ahhhh you were being serious about Disposable Heroes, thought you were being sarcastic. That's Metallica's best song right there

No ****ing way was I being sarcastic.. I should edit that post!
I think Iron Maiden have probably been more influential, especially since they managed more than 4 good records and still make decent albums, unlike the Met boys.
Quote by Phazer
you like slipknot and slayer is just noise?!? maybe you are just into metal because all the grown up kids like it at school. one of my guitar pupils had a cannibal corpse tshirt and he didnt know they were a band.

I'm turning 19 in a week but yes I listen to metal because the old kids at school (who would be younger than me) are into it. Good logic!
I'm not just into metal either... stop making assumptions when you no nothing
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
Quote by Jackolas

I can say the same about the first four Slayer albums, spare the variety. I was not commenting on musical variety/complexity/songwriting. We're still on the topic of influence. I think Slayer had a higher influence in the metal community than Metallica does.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466

lmao slayer is still coasting off reign in blood, which was totally overrated. calling metallica has beens and then bringing slayer into the conversation totally just undermines the metallica statements. slayer are pretty much dead... at least metallica will still be rakin in cash for a few more years.
Quote by darkstar2466

Face it, most of Slayers songs are

E-000-000-000-000-000-000-000-000-000-000-000-000-

Last edited by drunkinkoala at Aug 5, 2008,
Slaytanic1993, I choose you.

*Slaytanic1993 refuses to come out of his pokeball*
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Biggest and most influential heavy metal band?

IRON F*CKING MAIDEN

and Sabbath is far more influential than 'Tallica.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Last edited by QuebecMetal at Aug 5, 2008,
O great, they're on the Culture Show. That'll be a laugh,
The presenters will ask pointless questions which Lars will pretend to understand, and answer using the longest words he knows(puntucated with "ummm" and "f*ck") to demonstrate this understanding, when the honest answer would be "we thought it sounded awesome, and made our balls rattle when we played it loud".
Quote by darkstar2466
I can say the same about the first four Slayer albums, spare the variety. I was not commenting on musical variety/complexity/songwriting. We're still on the topic of influence. I think Slayer had a higher influence in the metal community than Metallica does.

Fair enough actually. At the end of the day, though - does it really matter? Metallica may have influenced one great band (lets see... In Flames) where as Slayer may have influenced another unrelated great band. Metal is such a broad (but usually good ) term.
haha my mum told me about this i was like haha.

lars is gon have a panick attack and stab something, you mark my words

oh yeah and the culture show also has goldfrapp on the same episode lmao so its not like an achievement or nothing
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special