Whats the difference say from a bar on a fender start and that on a ibanez JEM. The do the 2 different types of arm serve a different purpose?
I think it's just different names for it, they both do the same thing. Although the JEM has a locking bridge so it doesn't go out of tune when you use it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Whammy bar and Tremolo arm usually refer to the same thing, but the tremolo unit on most Stratocasters and those on JEMs are usually used a bit differently. Strats are usually used just for vibrato and more minor bends compared to the full out diving, fluttering and squealing that is done on a JEM-style Floyd Rose. The actual arm, called a whammy bar or tremolo arm is just the bar that fits into the bridge that lets you tilt the bridge and change the pitch.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by Lil Macker
I think it's just different names for it, they both do the same thing. Although the JEM has a locking bridge so it doesn't go out of tune when you use it.

Are you talking about just the tremolo arm, or are you talking about the whole bridge system?

An Ibanez Jem has a Floyd Rose locking tremolo. Some like to call them floating tremolos because they are able to be pulled back, increasing string tension, or also pushed down, lowering the string tension. (Dive bomb)

A Fender Stratocaster has a normal, one way tremolo bridge.

It's all personal preference on which is better.
theyre both refering to the same general thing but like others have said the one on the strat will lose tuning with abuse, but that can be somewhat fixed with a graphite or roller nut and locking tuners

and so you dont look like an idiot call it a vibrato arm/bar instead, cause tremolo is a variation in volume which is not accomplished by varying the tension of the strings
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Quote by Lil Macker

THIS. They're no different in function, but the are attached in different ways. the fender bar screws in, and the Ibanez pushes in.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.