my parents got each other guitars for their aniversery (sp.?) in 1985. they were both martin sigmas. i have no idea the specs of it. i have no idea which model it is other then a sigma. also, the condition is very good but not mint. it does have a little scratching on the back and needs to be polished up a bit but seeing as its 23 years old, i think thats understandable. i could make it look like almost new (the scratches atm are only visible if you shine it in the light a certain way). it is a very simple looking guitar with no special inlays and w/e.

i will try to get a pic if i can figure out how but i honestly don't know if i could. i was thinking since it's old, there is a possibility it's worth a lot.

edit: i just found this:

http://www.greatguitars.com.au/Sigma.LH.htm

the differences between mine and that one are my inlays on the side are black, not white but same design, my woad is slightly brighter but same grain type, the woad on the side and back is lighter and different grain type, and the inlay on the back is just a simple black line. everything else appears to be the same.

i also just found out that it is a martin sigma dm-3 made in korea.
Last edited by madshatter at Aug 11, 2008,
Well, the sentimental value is through the roof.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
i'm not thinking of selling it. of course not. curiosity is getting the best of me though.
sell them sell them!
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
If im not mistaken, i don't think sigmas are worth that much. even if they're old. Around maybe.... $600 max. Your parents should hold onto the guitars and then give 'em away to you/your siblings kids. it's good to have some family heirlooms.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
If im not mistaken, i don't think sigmas are worth that much. even if they're old. Around maybe.... $600 max. Your parents should hold onto the guitars and then give 'em away to you/your siblings kids. it's good to have some family heirlooms.

Looking on ebay, even $600 would be pushing it.

Probably best to just keep and enjoy them.
Quote by guitar/bass76
Looking on ebay, even $600 would be pushing it.

Probably best to just keep and enjoy them.

yea, haha. i looked on ebay too.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
i just found this:

http://www.greatguitars.com.au/Sigma.LH.htm

the differences between mine and that one are my inlays on the side are black, not white but same design, my woad is slightly brighter but same grain type, the woad on the side and back is lighter and different grain type, and the inlay on the back is just a simple black line. everything else appears to be the same.

i also just found out that it is a martin sigma dm-3 made in korea.
Last edited by madshatter at Aug 11, 2008,
Sorry to say it but the Sigma's were cheapish Martins. Probably sound OK though because they have aged.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
In 1970, guitar maker Martin created a line of inexpensive guitars made in part from laminated wood, instead of the solid wood used in their main line.[1] (The name may have originated by turning the Greek letter Sigma (Σ on its side.) Construction moved from Japan (1970 - 83), to Korea (1984 - 93/94), to Taiwan (1993 - 2007).[2] The first Sigma's were dreadnought acoustics, DR-1 through DR-7 (D for dreadnought and R for rosewood). Sigma built the GCS (Grand Concert Series) to Martin's 000 body specifications. There were models in the CS (Classical Series). Other instruments included mandolins, banjos, acoustic and electric basses and solid body and hollow body electric guitars. Some solid body electric guitars were made by Tokai Guitars Company, LTD.[3] After finishing, "Each Sigma instrument was brought into the Martin factory to be inspected and adjusted by Martin personnel before going to the authorized retail store for retail sale."[4]
The Sigma guitar line was discontinued in 2007.[5]
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 11, 2008,
Everyone pretty much covered it. They aren't worth a whole lot. My friend's mom had one and it played alright though.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
It's also worth mentioning that prices are typically much higher in Australia - so it's pretty much the same, ~$600.
My main player is a Sigma Martin from the 80's. It sounds and plays better than guitars 10 times its value.