I live in basically the worst area of the country if you want to be a musician. When I finally meet what I think are like-minded people it all goes to hell pretty quickly. If I meet a "guitarist" we'll get together to jam under the guise that he'll be a guitarist.

Not only do they not tell the entire truth when we correspond before actually playing together, but after we meet and he has shown me his skills are less than what he professed I'll get the "well I'm really a drummer (or bassist, or singer...)

It really sucks. I've burned through every available musician in the area (all 5 of them). No one is as driven as me around here, and it's a huge downer.

I'm not ****ing Satch, but if I meet musicians who want to play with me I don't give them any bs. It is what it is. I'm not a drummer that tries to be a guitarist, I'm a guitarist.

Does anyone else find this quality in other musicians?
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
What do you mean being a drummer that "tries to be a guitarist"?

Surely you can learn how to play both. And if you can, you are neither a drummer trying to be a guitarist, or a guitarist trying to be a drummer. You are a drummer AND a guitarist.

In response to your question, no.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Hmm people who can play a few powerchords often call themselves a 'guitarist'. Annoys me too sometimes, but luckily I have some friends who can actually play instruments!
No. Why would I tell someone I play the cello when I play guitar?

You just happen to meet a lot of arseholes.
Or maybe, they're really stupid and think their drumkit is called a guitar.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

My drummer and bassist are better at guitar than me. Not theory wise, but skill and speed. (They can play songs I can't.)

They still have me play guitar and sing.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
Quote by 100Roy001
Hmm people who can play a few powerchords often call themselves a 'guitarist'. Annoys me too sometimes, but luckily I have some friends who can actually play instruments!

When you first started playing guitar, and all you could play was powerchords, did you not call yourself a guitarist?

It annoys me when people say stuff like this. One day the same people who play powerchords, will improve and play more complicated and technical stuff. It's all about practice.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
we have no drummers other than like 10.and most of them are taken..or dont play my style so..i get where your comming from
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
Same exact ****ing situation here in the Charlotte area. Well, there all a couple good guitarists I'm friends with, but they're all over 40.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
I'm a drummer and can also play guitar. I don't 'try' it, you idiot, I do it.

And no, around here there are very many people (who play multiple instruments, shock horror) that are very talented and are driven enough to start a band.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
let me clarify. i meet with people under with explicit intent of getting a band together. they lie to me about their level of skill, and I've met many people who say they play drums but try and play guitar (not very well).

I'm not trying to insult anyone, but I want to make music a career. I cannot find anyone as dedicated as me.

You can understand how this can be saddening?

And yes, my area does suck.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
I'm a guitarist and a bassist.
I suck playing guitar with people.
I excel at playing bass with people.
Therefore when I suck on guitar when jamming, I say: I'm in reality a bassist.
Then I get a bass and blow minds.
But I still suck at guitar.
Quote by texico11
It's interesting, because at my school, after a census, it was discovered that bout 70% of people have taken drum lessons and play drums. but apparently only 4 people play guitar in the whole high-school of 1600 students, myself, one guy in year 11, one guy in my year, and a girl. the girl doesnt play electric though, only acoustic (well, of course, before you say it, she could play electric, but doesnt), so theres only 3 of us in the whole school who play E-guitar, which makes me easily the best and most experienced. for some reason drums are extremerly popular, just about all my mates play drums. yet i'm the only electric guitarist with more than 2 years experience. In a way it's kind of good, because i'm credited as being the best in the school at what i do and always get asked to play/get band offers, but at the same time is kind of bad, because with only 2 other people to compare against it's not really much of an achievement, and you can get a false sense of how good you are sometimes with nobody else to compare.

i will bet you a million dollars 1120 out of 1600 people in your school don't play drums.
my school's different; people don't lie about playing an instrument, because no one plays anything. i'm the only electric guitarist, other than this other guy who only cares about finger-tapping, sucks at rhythm, and only plays once every few months. there's like two or three acoustic players; no bassists. four drummers, other than myself (i'm not that great). one of them tells everyone he's really good, but two of my friends that drum said he sucks. one drummer i'm sort of in a band with, but he only plays jazz, so it's like a slow, acoustic black metal thing. other drummer i'm also sort of in a band with; he likes funk, reggae, and some prog. no metal . other drummer is sweet at like metalcore and stuff, but all he ever does is get high, whack off and play guitar hero.
Welcome to my town.

Here you'll find wannabe guitar-showoffs (the ones who bring it to school at least), a couple of good guitarists, a bassist, and a few decent drummers. What's even more worse, is that they either play emo or metal, which isn't good in my situation.

I don't know if I'll ever be in a band.
LARGE TEXT
Well my area isn't that bad. But a lot of guys ('specially at my age) I've played with are the ones that just play songs, and don't improv a lot. I mean, that's the soul of jamming.
With the exception of most the band kids (as in marching band),
Anyone I've heard who plays an instrument out of band. and every drummer save one in band blows.
Last year our best guitarist left, which means that no guitar player at our school can read music.
We have an incredible bass player who's gonna graduate this year, that means I'll be #1 that I know of at my school
I get pissed because the only people who are at my level of playing, don't like the style of music I like, or they play a non-hard rock/metal instrument (like Saxaphone)

So I can't be in a band with music I enjoy, I had to join a ****ty hardcore band just to jam with something besides jazz.

But the topic of people exaggerating skills, all to much, the self proclaimed best drummer can't keep a beat, the famous metal drummer can play two beats and also can't keep a beat.

Every guitar player who is good doesn't know **** about music (not even a ****ing major scale), so I can't jam with them because if I say the chord progression then I have to tab it out blah blah blah and if they show it to me I can't tell by their fingers being munched up in the fretboard.

Sorry, I needed to vent.
Quote by OddOneOut
No. Why would I tell someone I play the cello when I play guitar?

You just happen to meet a lot of arseholes.
Or maybe, they're really stupid and think their drumkit is called a guitar.

well they ARE drummers....
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
When you first started playing guitar, and all you could play was powerchords, did you not call yourself a guitarist?

It annoys me when people say stuff like this. One day the same people who play powerchords, will improve and play more complicated and technical stuff. It's all about practice.

So if you wrote an article would you say you`re a journalist?

If you record a song would you say you`re a sound engineer?

If you looked at stars through your telescope would you say you`re an astronomer?

It might sound like a d!ck thing to say, but I sort of believe just because you can play a major 5th chord, and pretty much nothing else, you are not really a guitarist yet

So tell me... if you can only cook one meal, why would you tell someone you`re a chef?
'never a victim,' the role model said,
bang-bang, the bad guy is dead,
always a rockstar on eMpty TV,
the lesson complete, now the child has needs.
Your first mistake was trusting someone. Never trust what anyone says until you see them yourself.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
This is how 90% of the musicians in my area are.

complete cunts.

where abouts do you live btw
Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)