i dont know what the hell is called when a guy talks through a mic and he uses a guitar to kind of mimic the voice with a wah pedal

my question is what kind of style of music is that called? or anybody knows any musicians that do that kind of thing?

here is a video for you guys that no idea what im talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WChHaAHy2c

i had no idea where to post this question so i just posted it here

one more question how do you do that what kind of gear do you need?
i have a wah,guitar and a microphone what would i need to set it up?

any help is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Peter Frampton with a talk box?
Last edited by americnidiot at Aug 5, 2008,
It's a talkbox
Peter Frampton

Edit: Beaten to it with an almost identical post...
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Frampton
Talk box
but not the Who
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
yeah, it is a talkbox. Although Peter Frampton is not from The Who. Anyway, the sound is sent through a small tube, instead of an amp. This tube is attached to the bottom of the mic. U then manipulate the sound by moving your mouth. It's very cool.
yeah, it is a talkbox. Although Peter Frampton is not from The Who. Anyway, the sound is sent through a small tube, instead of an amp. This tube is attached to the bottom of the mic. U then manipulate the sound by moving your mouth. It's very cool.

im watching some videos of the talkbox but i saw one on tv i think is geico commercial uses a microphone instead of the tube

i dont want to get that tube full of spit XD
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
It's called a talk-box. It is basically where the sound is directed from the amp, up a pipe to the mic, then the mouth is opened and closed to manipulate the sound. Danelectro made one: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/talk-box/10615
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
It's called a talk-box. It is basically where the sound is directed from the amp, up a pipe to the mic, then the mouth is opened and closed to manipulate the sound. Danelectro made one: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/talk-box/10615

do you sing it through it or just move your mouth?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Quote by stefan1988
im watching some videos of the talkbox but i saw one on tv i think is geico commercial uses a microphone instead of the tube

i dont want to get that tube full of spit XD

He has the tube hooked up to the microphone stand so that when he talks with it, it'll be amplified through the microphone.

If you get one, I recommend putting in such a way that you have to put your head up to use it, but not too high up. I always get mine full of spit

Quote by stefan1988
do you sing it through it or just move your mouth?

You just put it in your mouth and for whatever you want to say, play a note and move your mouth like your saying that word. I put mine in the back of my mouth on the side and hold it with my molars it's easier for me.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
If you get one, I recommend putting in such a way that you have to put your head up to use it, but not too high up. I always get mine full of spit

what talkbox do you have?

You just put it in your mouth and for whatever you want to say, play a note and move your mouth like your saying that word. I put mine in the back of my mouth on the side and hold it with my molars it's easier for me.

so in the video are they using 2 things a mic and a talkbox to sing? or is the way he moves his mouth that makes the word come out?

another question how hard is it to sing that type of thing kind of the video? is there certain techniques to this?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Quote by stefan1988
what talkbox do you have?

A Rocktron Banshee

Quote by stefan1988

so in the video are they using 2 things a mic and a talkbox to sing? or is the way he moves his mouth that makes the word come out?

another question how hard is it to sing that type of thing kind of the video? is there certain techniques to this?

Well, it matters where you are, how loud it is and all that stuff. I use mine in my basement without a microphone because there's no noise there so no need for a mic for me. If your in a crowd of, say, 1000 people, the mic would would be where it normally is and the tube for the talkbox would be wrapped around the mic stand so you would put the tube in your mouth and sing into the mic so it runs through the PA since it doesn't come out through your amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j49vmB3EwZs <-- There's a good example of it without a mic.

The singing isn't hard at all In the video you posted it sounds like he's just playing 1 note for each word. You just play a note and move your mouth as if your saying the word. It just takes a little bit of practice to say words and experimenting on which notes are best for what word and stuff like that.

Hope that answered your question
Quote by blackenedktulu

Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
I thought he was talking about the question answer phrasing thing, like at the beginnig of Yankee Rose - David Lee Roth
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
The singing isn't hard at all In the video you posted it sounds like he's just playing 1 note for each word. You just play a note and move your mouth as if your saying the word. It just takes a little bit of practice to say words and experimenting on which notes are best for what word and stuff like that.

ahh cool man i might buy it one talkbox then XD

which one would you recommend the banshee you have right now or are you planning to upgrade to something better?

that cover that guy did sounded just like the song i have another question does the tone of the talkbox depends on your voice as well?

and do i need to buy a special stand for it or can i get a typical microphone stand?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
I chose the Banshee because it had the tone and volume knobs unlike the Dunlop Heil Talkbox (it's still a good one, but no controls on it except an on/off switch). You won't really need to upgrade talkboxes unless it breaks, they're pretty durable. Also, your voice doesn't matter with a talkbox and a regular microphone stand could hold it

Here's some links to different ones;

Dunlop Heil;
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Heil-Talk-Box?sku=151230

Rocktron Banshee;
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rocktron-Banshee-Talk-Box?sku=154218

Rocktron Banshee 2 (Not quite sure what the difference is, but it's a little more expensive);
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rocktron-Banshee-2-Talk-Box?sku=482390

Danelectro Free Speech;
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-Free-Speech-Talk-Box?sku=151905
Quote by blackenedktulu

Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
I chose the Banshee because it had the tone and volume knobs unlike the Dunlop Heil Talkbox (it's still a good one, but no controls on it except an on/off switch). You won't really need to upgrade talkboxes unless it breaks, they're pretty durable. Also, your voice doesn't matter with a talkbox and a regular microphone stand could hold it

Here's some links to different ones;

ahh thanks a bunch did the whole research for me and everything

i just have to look up some clips for the rocktron banshee 2 and the other to see the diff and see if is worth the extra money
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Don't forget Man in the box! Staley!!
Quote by RU Experienced?
I love ham, I'm gay!!!

Buy fresh sliced deli ham and stop being a bitch. Also, never microwave ham ever, it's in strict violation of ham law.
Quote by filthandfury
Do you feel...

...like we do.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by stefan1988
ahh thanks a bunch did the whole research for me and everything

i just have to look up some clips for the rocktron banshee 2 and the other to see the diff and see if is worth the extra money

Haha no problem

If you have any other questions feel free ask
Quote by blackenedktulu

Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm