Ok, I'm not a very good guitarist (I play only since an year and an half), but I'm tried to play alone in my room. I would like to start a metal or at least rock band, but there is one big problem...

I live in Italy. In Italy you can NEVER (and when I say never, it means never) hear metal songs on the radio. Only a little bit of rock on some rare channels, but 99% of the channels have only commercial stuffs like pop and dance music. Where I live (north-west Italy) there are absolutely no metalhead (on my old class, at school, we were 2 metalheads: me and another guy that is already in a band) and people think that metal is "noise". They listen only to crap pop, emo, dance, house, and so on. You can never convince them to listen even one metal song, they will insult you and think you are stupid because no one listen to metal and all listen to pop/dance. Actually, they don't even know what metal is.

How I can start a metal band here? Seriously I fear that I'm going to play alone for the rest of my life, and that even if one day I will have a band, no one will listen to my songs.
Have a look around the net and advertise yourself around a bit. No matter where you are you'll find people who are just like you and are wanting the same thing (hopefully not all guitarists).

There must be a site out there somewhere.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Hey proper emo is actually a good type of music.

As for advice, try advertising. There's UG and you can print off posters and put 'em round your local area.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
no metal plays on the radio here either, but i've seen ad's at the local music store wanting to start a band with influences like Cannibal Corpse, Cattle Decapitation(?) and such. Just put up an ad and be patient
When all else fails, ask the pit.
Well, if you love it, that's a sacrifice you'd have to make. If no one there listens to it, you won't make much money. You could move, or you could at least try the market and see if people are interested in the music you're playing.

Possibly go on a street corner and play some riffs. See what the general reaction of the area is to what your style is.
Start a pop band, then kidnap and brainwash the members.
It's a bit like starting a cult, but without the need to find virgin priestesses.
Quote by americnidiot
Well, if you love it, that's a sacrifice you'd have to make. If no one there listens to it, you won't make much money. You could move, or you could at least try the market and see if people are interested in the music you're playing.

Possibly go on a street corner and play some riffs. See what the general reaction of the area is to what your style is.

It's all about the money, isn't it? Coh
Hey proper emo is actually a good type of music.
Sure, I was talking about bands like Tokio Hotel (in my opinion NOT good).

I think they will kill me

It's all about the money, isn't it? Coh
No it's not. I don't want to play for money to become like James Hetfield or people like him, I just want to be in a band and have some fun.
Tokio Hotel aren't emo and they SUCK!

Emo is stuff like Fugazi and - correct me if I'm wrong - Sonata Arctica.
Carmel is hawt
Advertise. Or, do what some of the musicians I met when I was living in Italy did....they moved to the U.K for a year and tried it out there.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Sonata Arctica
Emo? they are a power metal band. One of my favourite bands, btw.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

I suppose you're a troll, because Sonata Arctica is definitely not emo.
Quote by GuitaPlaya
So? I like music that's even less popular than metal. Grow a pair and quit bitching.

He came here looking for advice about the type of music that he likes.

Stop bein' an asshole, and if you have nothing to contribute with, don't contribute at all.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Poglia
Emo? they are a power metal band. One of my favourite bands, btw.

Yes but they are quite emo as well in my opinion. Good Enough Is Good Enough is an emo song.

Either way they're awesome :P
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

and Jimmy Eat World me thinks
Quote by gangsta_rick
HAHA TWO WORDS f*CKING LEGEND

Finally a sig which shows another member praising me.

My work here is done
Myspace.

Do you have any, say, music conventions happening around your area? You might be able to meet up with potential band members there.
Wait, they like emo right? A plan in my head is formulating...

Step 1) Gather a bunch of emos
Step 2) Start a hardcore emo band (EXTREMELY CLOSE TO METAL, believe it or not)
Step 3) ???
Step 4) PROFIT!!!
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by lotsofvolume
Do you have any, say, music conventions happening around your area? You might be able to meet up with potential band members there.
Mmm... you have make me think. On january 21th, 2009 i'll go to see Edguy live in a town near here. Maybe I can find some metalheads that play some instruments
Quote by Poglia
Mmm... you have make me think. On january 21th, 2009 i'll go to see Edguy live in a town near here. Maybe I can find some metalheads that play some instruments

Good luck man! and I can see what you mean, i've never heard of any italian metal bands except elvenking, who are more emo now instead of folk metal like they once were
Im sure it'll work out though
We walked into the night

Am I to bid you farewell?

Why can't you see that I try
When every tear I shed

Is for you?