Will a Roland Cube give me this certain sound I want, I don't know how to describe it because I'm a noob at guitar stuff, I think it is a pinched harmonic if I were to guess, here watch this video and I will point out what it sounds like at what time it is in the video.

Holy Diver cover by Killswitch Enagage

at 0:36 & 0:46 one of the guitarists make the sound that I'm asking about..

the best one is at 1:55

its a sound that a lot of metal bands do in a lot of their songs and I'm wondering how I can make that sound on my guitar????.....
I believe thats a pinch harmonic... nothing to really do with amps.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Yeah, that's a pinched harmonic. There are lots of threads about it.

Your amp shouldn't effect it if you do it right, but the most common method is to brush the string with the thumb of the picking hand at the harmonic. He's using a very intense vibrato on it as well, which lots of metal bands do.
Quote by Who Sh0t Ya HxO
yeah but my fender starcaster cant do that.

thats because it has single coil pickups. You can do them on it, buts its 10x easier on a guitar with humbuckers.
theres tons of stuff on youtube and on here about how to do pinch harmonics

to get them to ring out really nicely you need a good bit of distortion (gain)
Quote by Who Sh0t Ya HxO
yeah but my fender starcaster cant do that.

Sure it can. Don't blame your gear, dude. Just practice. And don't expect to get the hang of it instantly.

What amp are you using now? If you want to sound like Killswitch Engage, you'll probably want something with a ton of gain. Not to mention you'll want some humbuckers.
Quote by Who Sh0t Ya HxO
I want to know how to do that, brushing the thumb doesn't help

You just have to practice. you cant just expect to do them in like a day or two. You have to find the right spot. Assuming ur guitar has 3 single coils it would be somewhere around the middle pickup.
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
You just have to practice. you just expect to do them in like a day or two. You have to find the right spot. Assuming ur guitar has 3 single coils it would be somewhere around the middle pickup.

Indeed.

Do you know how to do natural harmonics? Just lightly touch the open strings over certain frets. If you want to just practice the right hand technique, try it right over the neck pickup, without doing anything with your fretting hand. It should produce the same - or almost the same - sound as the natural harmonic at the same place.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Aug 5, 2008,
I like killswitch engage, but I don't want to sounds like them, that was an example, and what do you mean with the middle coil? do I have to do something to it? I don't even know where to start, I'll just try looking in more threads for this unless you guys are willing to give specifics
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
thats because it has single coil pickups. You can do them on it, buts its 10x easier on a guitar with humbuckers.

blahblahblahbalhbalhba.

Your pickups arent hot. thats why
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by Hcmanu
blahblahblahbalhbalhba.

Your pickups arent hot. thats why

Lol dont blabbety blah me

Its def. easy with humbuckers.
Quote by Flying Couch
Sure it can. Don't blame your gear, dude. Just practice. And don't expect to get the hang of it instantly.

What amp are you using now? If you want to sound like Killswitch Engage, you'll probably want something with a ton of gain. Not to mention you'll want some humbuckers.

dude the amp is offbrand, it came with the guitar from target, so it was a total of 250 for both guitar and amp, it just says SP10, it only has a volume, treble, and bass knob
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
Lol dont blabbety blah me

Its def. easy with humbuckers.

its easy whit good single coils
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by Who Sh0t Ya HxO
dude the amp is offbrand, it came with the guitar from target, so it was a total of 250 for both guitar and amp, it just says SP10, it only has a volume, treble, and bass knob

I can do pinch harmonics with a 10W squier amp, which also just has volume, treble, and bass. lol

Its more technique than anything
Quote by Hcmanu
its easy whit good single coils

Indeed, but not as much on cheap stocks.

Quote by Who Sh0t Ya HxO
so i need a guitar with humbuckers, ok I'm getting an Ibanez RG series

you dont NEED a guitar with humbuckers. Most people just consider it easier. Like stated above, you can do them on single coils, as long as they arent cheap.

I dunno if you want to go Ibanez. Ibanez is more of a hard rock guitar.
I like heavy metal, I know some bands that use Ibanez, like Arsis, Bring me the horizon, As blood runs black etc. yeah but if its harder with single coils then it will take me forever, cuz im a noob at this kind of stuff
Quote by Who Sh0t Ya HxO
I like heavy metal, I know some bands that use Ibanez, like Arsis, Bring me the horizon, As blood runs black etc. yeah but if its harder with single coils then it will take me forever, cuz im a noob at this kind of stuff

Well you can obviously get more of a "metal" guitar that has humbuckers. I believe jacksons are a good metal guitar. ask around for a good metal guitar. I dont have much knowledge of good metal guitars. Stay away from cheap BC Riches, thats all I can give.
yeah I know one thing for sure and its that BC riches can't hold their own for metal,

EDIT: by the way it is a cheap guitar lol, like i said its 250 Dollars with a 10 watt amp,
Quote by Who Sh0t Ya HxO
yeah I know one thing for sure and its that BC riches can't hold their own for metal,

EDIT: by the way it is a cheap guitar lol, like i said its 250 Dollars with a 10 watt amp,

Dont spend under around $350-$400 on a new guitar. If you go any lower you would just be basically buying another cheap gutiar and wasting more money.
Quote by Who Sh0t Ya HxO
what about 300?

I dunno, it depends on what guitar your getting. You can always buy a guitar and swap out the pickups later on like most people do. Stock pickups are never that good unless its a higher-end guitar.
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
I dunno, it depends on what guitar your getting. You can always buy a guitar and swap out the pickups later on like most people do. Stock pickups are never that good unless its a higher-end guitar.

oh ok, sounds like a good plan, I'll buy EMG pickups and swap them for stock.
Quote by Who Sh0t Ya HxO
oh ok, sounds like a good plan, I'll buy EMG pickups and swap them for stock.

You should do some research on EMG Active pickups. A lot of people say good things about them, I never had the oppertunity to play with them though.
you should make sure that the type of pickups in your guitar matches the type youre swapping them with. many EMGs are active pickups, which work differently than passive pickups. research which the guitar youre getting has