Ahh here it is again, another newbie askin for advise at amps to look at.

Im in the UK, my bugets around £500 im definatly willing to buy used im playin a epiphone Lp custom.

What do i want?

I like a nice clean, doesnt have to be an extreamly amazingly awsomefied mega mounth munching killer clean tone just somthing quite nice as i use it a fair amount.

A very nice crunch, thinking marshall style, so british voiced ofc think AC/DC airbourne G'n'R that kind of british style sound very classic rock with the power and punch to do like hard rock.

Lead tone is very important, i like a nice Hi-gain solo tone nothin' too trebily and bity (although thats normally down to EQ i know.) think like thin lizzy, gary moore, Slash, kirk hammets slower blueser stuff such as fade to black, one (intro) synister gates seize the dat solo tone kind of style/voicing and gain.

One thing iv looked at is the TSL100 because it has alot of good features such as the two FX loops and the 3 channels with seprate EQ but iv heard mixed reviews of its sound so im tryin to find one i can play and id have to buy it used to be able to afford it but im kool with that .

But im open to new suggestions so if you have either an opinion on the TSL (only people who have actually played it though and prefrebly own it) or have suggestions on other amps although again please dont go on what youv heard other people say and more what youv played as i will try to play as many as i possibly can and again it would be better if you own it because youv had more time with it but i know this is obv gona be bias because only people who like it would really buy it lol.

and sorry for the wall of text and my bad grammer/spelling.
Get a Ceriatone clone. Maybe 2204 or 1986 clone.

Modern Marshalls sound fizzy and buzzy when played with high gain. Get a plexi type of amp and boost it with an overdrive if you want more saturation.
OK thanks for the advise ill look out for somthing along those lines, ohh and by lead tone it will be more for solos rather than riffs.
If you want a good classic-style Marshall, like what the pros use, grab a Ceriatone. Apparently really good Plexi tones, and with an OD and the right rig, a really good EVH tone is doable.
how flexible is that budget? i know of recommendations which'll do what you want, but you're probably talking more like £700.

though dolphin music has the laney tt50combo for £550 on its site, but you'd need to check it's not a mistake (they also have it for sale for a much higher price ). if they'll honour the £550, though, that's what i'd go for (assuming you don't want to faff about with extremely high postage and customs charges from ceriatone).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all the advise guys =]

Oh and tbh its not very flexible i mean i could get no more than £550
also i forgot to mention i have a marshall 1936 cab which aint to bad so if its a head thats not a problem.

also what about the TSL100, anyone got any experince i know there quite popular along with the DSL so somebody must have used them?!
The DSL100 is a great amp.

The TSL100 is not so hot imo.

If you buy one, get an attenuator. Marshalls do not hit their sweet spot until the power tubes are cooking and it will be loud.
Well if i got a DSL i would get the 50 watt one unless theres somthing that the 100 does alot better (other than the extra head room for metal)
what put me off with the Dsl is that you cant use the crunch mode on the clean channel without touchin the amp i beleve, is this true?

also on the TSL100 it has a switch to change it too 25 watt doesnt it? the reason i looked at the 100 over the 60 was it has alot more features like seprate EQ and two FX loops.
More headroom will just give you cleaner tone at higher volume.

The green crunch channel cleans up nicely with the guitar's volume control.
Yeahh i was thinking about that but alot of the stuff i play chances from clean to dist quite often and quite sudden and i cant really be doin with the hassel live tbqh.

But does the 'Ultra-gain' chanel is it possible to use it for lower gain crunch stuff?
The lead channel sucks. Its a fizzy box of bees type of sound.

The clean to distortion is quite easy using your volume knob, I've always done this and its how players did it before switchable channel amps.
Hmm ill try checkin it out if i can play it in store as its come up alot greater than the TSL and ill see how i adapt to the volume knob thing, i might even have one pickup set to clean and the other so it distorts might be intrestin to try out.

Whats the Lead chanel like for solo tones or is it still crap and im just best off buying a OD pedal or boost type thing?
Quote by Zakk_Lp
Hmm ill try checkin it out if i can play it in store as its come up alot greater than the TSL and ill see how i adapt to the volume knob thing, i might even have one pickup set to clean and the other so it distorts might be intrestin to try out.

Whats the Lead chanel like for solo tones or is it still crap and im just best off buying a OD pedal or boost type thing?

Jimmy Page did that on Over the Hills and Far Away, he would keep his bridge pickup up and turn his neck down and would play in the neck position and get this great clean with a nice edgy breakup when he strummed hard. Then he would switch to the middle position to kick the overdrive in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe3J16z9a3w
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 5, 2008,
Ohh lol well that sounds good then cause iv always like to have a little edge to my cleans.

but still whats the 'Ultra-Gain' chanel like for solos? is it really fuzzy and messy? does it clear up doin that thing where you have somthing like and Bad monkey and having the level on 10 and gain on 0?

or should i just use it to boost the gain channel?

Thanks alot for all your help =]
At that budget a used orange rocker 30. Mine was 420
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Just the way its voiced sounds bad to me imo. It depends what type of music you want to play.

I guess for metal it might be ok, but for classic rock, I'd stay far away from that lead channel.
Ohh ok thanks =]

I actually though about its versitallity because i play from like funk/jazz to melodic death metal, but the classic rock was my main consern.

is there a diffrence in features between the 100watt and the 50? because i would be able to crank the 50 alot easyer.

and i think what im going to do is have the pickups mentioned and as before and have a OD pedal and a boost because i like having acses to lots off diffrent 'Flavors' when it comes to distortion.
You won't really be able to crank a 50 watt any easier than a 100 watt. Decibel wise, there is no distinguishable difference.

The difference is mainly in clean headroom and certain tonal characteristics. 100 watters sound more powerful, break up later and have more punch.
More chance of cranking a 30 watt, like say an orange.............
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
ahh alright, yeahh i know its only like a 12% volume diffrence so i think ill look more towards the 100 then because i need that sort of punch when playin rock n roll =].
Quote by al112987
You won't really be able to crank a 50 watt any easier than a 100 watt. Decibel wise, there is no distinguishable difference.

The difference is mainly in clean headroom and certain tonal characteristics. 100 watters sound more powerful, break up later and have more punch.

agreed.

i prefer the dsl to the tsl too... but as you say, you can't footswitch from the green to orange channel. it does sound better than the tsl, if you ask me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This is an idea, i know it almost definatly wont work because it wasnt designed too but has anyone tryed using a two button footswich and tryed using to swich from the clean to crunch modes?