first... i suck at guitar. i listen to death, black, and grind metal. i'm a drummer looking to trade positions. my current set-up is a peavey 6505 combo, danelectro fab tone pedal, and a jackson kevin bond.

i can't get the tone right on my 6505. need some help on EQ settings. also, to get killer, raunchy, drop-tune crunch.... what pedal do y'all recommend... if i need one.
The Peavey 6505 should be able to get real nice metal tones without a pedal, I'm not a user of one myself, so I can't offer settings, but with valve amps, metallers mainly use Overdrive pedals to tighter up the low end and add a very small amount of gain. Tweak your settings (or seek advice from a fellow 6505 user) before you even consider pedals etc.

Also, this should probably be in the gear & accessories thread, as it's more about the amp than your guitar.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
I like something like:
Bass: 7
Mid: 6
Treble 7
I'd recommend the 6505 with an Ibanez TS9 or TS808 tubescreamer, or A Digitech Bad Monkey.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Use the amp's distortion and scoop the mids. You can boost the distortion with a tubescreamer if you want.
Digitech DeathMetal or Boss Metal Zone will come highly recommended...Ill take my DeathMetal anyday though, but thats just me. I personally hate denelectro pedals

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
black metal, keep your mids cut, but not lower than 3.5-4 and boost your treble way up and keep the bass around 5

death metal, same, but add more bass and a pinch more mids

grind usually follows death
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by pwrmax
Use the amp's distortion and scoop the mids.

Don't scoop the mids! All of the thump in metal comes from the mids!

In the words of Kerry King "My EQ curve is a frown, not a smile"
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by pwrmax
Use the amp's distortion and scoop the mids. You can boost the distortion with a tubescreamer if you want.

In case you don't know what "scooping the mids" means, it means set the mid knob fairly low (try 3)
I have a 6505 212, and I bought a TS9DX thinking it would tighten up the low end and just create an all around better tone. Didn't do much except help with the higher frets with sustain and a smoother distortion for solos (I run the Decimator on a pretty strong threshold so it kills my sustain). I sold mine last week and got a Boss GE-7 7 band Equalizer pedal. A lot better because the EQ on the amp doesn't do much without radical changes.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
6505 amps are notorious for their huge gain abilities. SO really, an OD would be needed as a boost mostly. Look at a Zakk Wylde overdrive. Pretty much a Tubescreamer with a bit of a mid scoop instead of boost.
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
Don't scoop the mids! All of the thump in metal comes from the mids!

In the words of Kerry King "My EQ curve is a frown, not a smile"

I'm not a huge fan of Pantera's tone, but they were pretty metal. And that tone is scooped to hell and back taking the scenic route.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
i just have to say... if you "suck at guitar" why do you have that kinda stuff?!
but im not really complaining, cos i'd love a Kevin Bond sig.

anyway, a bit like oneblackened said...

i like:
Bass- 7
Mid- 2 or 3
Treb- 9

similar to Dimebag's tone, but nowhere near as great
Quote by StillSoundRG
I'm not a huge fan of Pantera's tone, but they were pretty metal. And that tone is scooped to hell and back taking the scenic route.

Kerry King is from Slayer...
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by StillSoundRG

Kerry King = Slayer not Pantera

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
Kerry King is from Slayer...

Yeah thanks man. What the reference was, was the 'metal thump'. And Pantera was a pretty big metal band, and their sound didn't have a 'thump'. It was without a doubt the most scooped sound I've heard in a long, long time.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by StillSoundRG

Though you're right, Dime's tone was really scooped.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by StillSoundRG
Yeah thanks man. What the reference was, was the 'metal thump'. And Pantera was a pretty big metal band, and their sound didn't have a 'thump'. It was without a doubt the most scooped sound I've heard in a long, long time.

I would agree with you there. Then again I too didn't really like Dime's tone. In my own (and kerry King's opinion) the really good metal tones have lots of mids, but I guess it's just preference.
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
An MG has better overdrive for that grind shit.

But seriously, toy with your amp don't come running to us first.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by StillSoundRG

You mean Slayer... right?
Metallica had scooped mids, then they decided to add them in the mix, and look what happened.
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by shredforbread33
An MG has better overdrive for that grind shit.

*awaits all the MG haters to flame you

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Mwoit
You mean Slayer... right?

No he's saying that Pantera had scooped mids and taht they sounded pretty metal

It is in fact a counter argument to Bobmarleysghost who said taht metal needs the thump of having mids
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by Tyler Durden
*awaits all the MG haters to flame you

*awaits sarcasm to kick in*
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by lust of decay
awaits help with my sound board

Experiment yourself. People have suggested EQ settings for you, try out the scooped mids, then the boosted mids, see which you like more. It's YOUR tone, your creative voice etc...
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
Experiment yourself. People have suggested EQ settings for you, try out the scooped mids, then the boosted mids, see which you like more. It's YOUR tone, your creative voice etc...

i don't like my tone
^^ bahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

I don't think there's any hope
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by StillSoundRG

lol im not going to even add any useful info to this thread, but that, my friend, is awesome. im going to steal that for conversational use

some metal scoops, doesn't. i prefer metal/heavy rock that doesn't scoop, but thats just me.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by lust of decay
i don't like my tone

Well, try out the settings people have given. I'm not sure how the gain channels work on your Peavey, but what are they set at? Also, what Presence do you use?

If that fails, you'll just have to send the amp round to me and I'll...uhh...sort the settings out for you.
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
If you cannot seem to get a good tone out of your amp, the answer is very simple.

You need a better amp.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I have my 6505 212 up off the ground to help out the muddiness. The lows at 5-7. The mids around 3-4 and treble around 7-8, presence at about 4-5. That's just me, try that out. Oh, no reverb. And resonance (boosts a certain mid freq) at 4.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by StillSoundRG
I have my 6505 212 up off the ground to help out the muddiness. The lows at 5-7. The mids around 3-4 and treble around 7-8, presence at about 4-5. That's just me, try that out. Oh, no reverb. And resonance (boosts a certain mid freq) at 4.

what do you set your rythum pre at? seems the only tone i kinda dig is if i cut the low to 10, mid to 0, high to 10, resonance 10, and presence 8.5. still it's missing something. sounds a little muddy.

i hope y'all understand that i'm completly green which this guitar stuff. please forgive my ignorance
Quote by lust of decay
first... i suck at guitar. i listen to death, black, and grind metal. i'm a drummer looking to trade positions. my current set-up is a peavey 6505 combo, danelectro fab tone pedal, and a jackson kevin bond.

i can't get the tone right on my 6505. need some help on EQ settings. also, to get killer, raunchy, drop-tune crunch.... what pedal do y'all recommend... if i need one.

Peavey 6505 is a case of "plug, crank, and play"...
the only pedal i'd have for it would be an noise gate...
eg. ISP Decimator...

it should be easy to get a metal sound...
if it's sounding extra sh!t, it could be the tubes...