Quote by the.spine.surfs
Pull a pair of power tubes, either both inner or outter ones. Adjust OHM's. Play.
Adjust ohms to one lower value than the speaker cab you are using.

Halving the wattage on a 6505 is pointless though. The amp loses girth and punch. 120 watts is best for this amp.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
i need a fuller, more saturated distortion for lower level playing. it's either this, or get THD hotplate....or both. what do you suggest
Running a THD with a 6505 still makes it sound better when its cranked...like with most tube amps....
But it doesn't have as great an effect, as the amp is designed for most of the gain to come from the pre-amp. Power amp distortion is not the be-all-end-all of sounds.

Chances are you don't turn it above 4. Taking it to 60watts won't change that.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
what im saying is that the amp sounds thin and weak below 2. up at 4 it sounds ballsy and in your face..but at the same time it makes every house in the neighborhood shake. im not trying to crank it to get gain im trying to get that saturation on fullness. would that not work? (talkin about the thd here)
Thats...just the extra volume you're probably experiancing when it moves more air with the speakers.
I played with two power tubes pulled in my 6505. It was really just as loud. It just hit that "sweet" spot earlier than it did with all 4 tubes. Kinda useful when recording but its still going to be extremely loud. It does loose a little punch that way. These amps are meant for gigging in my opinion. This is why I use a guitarport at home and a solid state amp. And for shows I use my tube amps and for recordings. To many people see these amps and want one in their apartment and get reported. lol
Quote by Cofflecakes

Chances are you don't turn it above 4. Taking it to 60watts won't change that.

yes sir
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
Quote by solidsnake15
I played with two power tubes pulled in my 6505. It was really just as loud. It just hit that "sweet" spot earlier than it did with all 4 tubes. Kinda useful when recording but its still going to be extremely loud. It does loose a little punch that way. These amps are meant for gigging in my opinion. This is why I use a guitarport at home and a solid state amp. And for shows I use my tube amps and for recordings. To many people see these amps and want one in their apartment and get reported. lol

So he'll hit it at 3 rather than 4? Still isn't really worth it. I think my friend MIGHT, and I stress the might, have used a set of yellow jackets awhile ago with a 5150. I'll ask him how it turned out for him.

Your a smart man to use a guitarport at home I recently sold off almost all of my amplifiers, guitars and effects to help me with a deposit on a 2nd property, and the only amps I kept were a Vox DA5, Mesa Boogie Mark IV and Roland JC-120. I haven't touched the JC or Mesa in at least 2 months, and all my writing is now done into a Toneport.

Maybe UG should start stressing to people to keep a practice amp so they can play at home without hundreds of these threads.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
The Peavey ultra's have a half power switch. If you turn it on, will this result in tone loss?
Quote by kayman121
Running a THD with a 6505 still makes it sound better when its cranked...like with most tube amps....

you realize you just said an attentuator makes the amp sound better cranked....

i mean i guess you could run through it and not attentuate anything....., just use the switches?
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff