Page 1 of 2
You ever get compliments from people saying you're really good and you'll go far, but hate them? I find myself that way so often. I'm an extremely average playing. I know a handful of scales, good rhythm player, decent improv, etc. But I hate when people go on and on about how good I've gotten or how far I could go with this. The only reason they think I'm good is because they don't play and don't listen to the same music I play. I guess I should take these compliments because it's the right thing to do but if any guitarist on here heard me play a rated me fairly, that's when I would take a compliment. Because I know it's (hopefully) honest and coming from someone who knows how to play.

Any of you deal with this?? I guess it's sort of a pet peeve.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
compliments are good no matter where they come from, don't be an ass and be greatful that people like your music
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by ZeBubba!
... So you want insults or something?

totally
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
It can be weird - especially in front of other musicians but it is morale boosting I suppose
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
You fail and you'll never go far.

That seems harsh. but ya did tell me to...

I'm a bass player so I never get complimented. Even though I'm like the best player in the band >.>
When i get taht I say" naw im not that good."

And thats that
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW

And thats that

I do say that, but i bugs me when they keep going and don't stop.
PS My family is obnoxious.
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
So what you're saying is that you don't value a compliment from someone who doesn't play guitar?

I think you need to get over yourself sunshine....
[
Quote by Skuzzmo
So what you're saying is that you don't value a compliment from someone who doesn't play guitar?

I think you need to get over yourself sunshine....

Ok sweet cheeks

I like this name game. Keep going
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by shredforbread33
Ok sweet cheeks

I like this name game. Keep going

15 bucks?!

cant you borrow 15 bucks?
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
15 bucks?!

Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
15 bucks?!

Hmm...he also seems to be forgetting tax...
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
You should appreciate complements in any form. A compliment from a non-musician simply means they liked your music, plus even if they don't play the guitar that doesn't mean they have no musical sense. Plenty of people have a great ear for music without any formal training or the ability to play a musical instrument, just like there are a million guitar players who have a horrible ear for music.

In other words, say thank you and don't be a dumbass.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
It depends, it's nice to know that your playing is pleasing to the ears, however I hate it, if I'm on stage I'll be quite flashy (for my own entertainment, sorta a challenge, yaknow "Let me see if I can still play it right behind my head" and all that jazz) so I naturally would get more compliments, then the other musicians around me feel inadequite, which is never good.
Someone had fun with your guitar playing so they say so.

Say thank you and move on.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW

And thats that

I always smile akwardly and say thanks, but I usually mention that I'm not as good as I'd like to be.
just start playing like a twat and youll get no more compliments. Simple.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
Quote by Vecheka
You should appreciate complements in any form. A compliment from a non-musician simply means they liked your music, plus even if they don't play the guitar that doesn't mean they have no musical sense. Plenty of people have a great ear for music without any formal training or the ability to play a musical instrument, just like there are a million guitar players who have a horrible ear for music.

I'm agree with that. Shredforbread33 you should be gateful on what are you doing and get compliment about it. There are lots of people in this who works so hard but yet not a single compliment on what are they doing.
The Cats are out in town.
Kat Gear
Crybaby Wah
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
Getting compliments from non-players is more of a humbling than anything for me. They say I'm good and that's cool, but really I know that I'm just okay, and that's all that matters. Everything else is just noise. People are all about encouragement. I don't make fun of my little cousin because he doesn't understand the concept of how to make hand turkeys during art, because all the world needs is a little encouragement..
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

I know how you feel. I mean, I like the compliments, but you get the feeling that there's so many other players out there that are better than you and are more deserving and if they heard you getting those compliments they'll look down on you. If you really don't like it then just try to take it as some motivation boost because there's people out there who enjoy hearing you play so try to practice and get better while you're high from the compliments and keep them entertained with new material.
Quote by Vecheka

+1

Actually if you get a compliment from a musician mean that they liked thier music. That's cool, but you'll never get far then. After all a lot of people buying music or listing to it doesn't play, you'll have to reach them too!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Ya, I don't mind them but my moms are the worst, "Scott can you turn down your amp, I love your playing but it gives me headaches when you go into that fast stuff."
remember that 90 percent of the people who listen to your music especially if your in a band playing gigs are not musicians. so they are only going by what they hear. but ultimatly these are are the same people who would be buying your cd`s and coming to your shows. other guitar players are always going to critique you and are not going to help you survive on your music like joe public. be nice to jp !!
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
I get compliments, from players and non-alike. From players, I usually just bounce ideas off of them and accept the compliment. From non-players, I have this thing where my answer involves: "Well, I try..." or "It's quite a challenging song" or the classic "Naw, I'm not that good... shucks!"
I hate when non-musicians hype me up to other musicians: "oh man wait till you hear him. he's awesome you're gonna LOVE it"..I hate that! Then these musicians are expecting some really excellent **** from me!
Quote by RPGoof
I played a talent show at my school and was the last act and everyone loved me.
I posted the performance here and everyone said it sucked.
lol?

What was the song?
well ts i think i know how you feel. i describe it as more being guilty because you feel you dont deserve the praise.

tbh i think it can only be a good thing tho cause with the work i put in, its good to get a compliment even if it doesnt mean anything about my technique.
I appreciate compliments people give me but I know that sometimes they can be superficial. Like that one dude above me, I just say "Thanks, but I'm not that good" and that's that.
i just talk about how easy everything i'm doing is. and then i let them grab a guitar and start to teach it to them. it's the best way to get rid of them, cuz it makes them try it themselves and when they see just how easy what i'm doing is...they don't do it anymore, they just try to do it themselves.
Bugs me when people get so excited about strumming like 3 power chords :/
Quote by shredforbread33
You ever get compliments from people saying you're really good and you'll go far, but hate them? I find myself that way so often. I'm an extremely average playing. I know a handful of scales, good rhythm player, decent improv, etc. But I hate when people go on and on about how good I've gotten or how far I could go with this. The only reason they think I'm good is because they don't play and don't listen to the same music I play. I guess I should take these compliments because it's the right thing to do but if any guitarist on here heard me play a rated me fairly, that's when I would take a compliment. Because I know it's (hopefully) honest and coming from someone who knows how to play.

Any of you deal with this?? I guess it's sort of a pet peeve.

out of all the things to bitch about...
I know what you mean but your overreacting......take SOME compliments....
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
I know how you feel. But an untrained person can discern good music, or not as the case may be.

The guitar player will critique your knowledge of scales, chords, technique and all that, and that is another aspect of it. I'd rather a really good guitar player liked my playing, but a newb digging it? That is ok and better than the alternative.
I love when friends/family/musicians gives me compliments
It always warms.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Getting compliments about your playing and more importantly music is very very very very important.

Who do you think buys all the albums and gig tickets, eh?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Page 1 of 2