My bro and I are writing a song... ok, actually he's writing it, I'm critiquing it, and then playing the bass part he gives me when I like it. But with it just being an instrumental and all with guitar and bass, I was thinking we needed a good guitar solo. He's drawing blanks on a good solo so I suggested I join the ultimate guitar forum and ask for suggestions.

So... here I am.

The rest of the Song is in C major "in 4/4 time with a tempo of 90"ish

The song can be best described as slow rock, and the guitarist doesn't want any major ripoffs... but a little bit is ok, as this is just some fidgeting were doing in our spare time.

So... anyone got a cool (Electric) guitar solo the feel like sharing? ...or coming up with?
**** off and do it yourself. were not gonna write you a song so go away with your popstar dreams.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
just **** around in the key untill u find smethn try sme licks and jizz around about the place and u cant fail
.... Thanks, I appreciate your good sportsmanship metallicafan616.

Popstar dreams? Where did you get that?

also, I did not ask for anyone to write a song for us. Just if they had any ideas for a solo. And I specified that we were just having fun, not that we actually intend to publish, record, or even join a band.

This was a simple light hearted honest question. And I apologize if anyone took offense.
Don't worry K.I.A. mettallicafan was just being a dick..

I feel you as I also have trouble writing solos for original songs, alot. What I do is just improvise a little bit, keep what I like, and just basically brainstorm. It'll come to you eventually, just give it time pretty much, you can't rush these things.
You really just need to experiment with your C major scale and try to find something that fits the mood of the song. If you don't know music theory then learn it.
for soft rock do cmaj pentatonic blues scale. just go pull-off, hammer-on, bend crazy its not hard to sound good. tell him to play like 3 note phrases per measure and no more simple is good
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by metallicafan616
**** off and do it yourself. were not gonna write you a song so go away with your popstar dreams.

*reported*
Are you ****ing serious?

TS: Ignore this guy. Find some backing tracks in C major and just continually improvise over them. Eventually you'll come up with some ideas that maybe you can link together.
Quote by metallicafan616

It's a shame that you're attitude doesn't compliment your playing. However, you do have a lot of years ahead of you to fix that.
Hey KIA read the repost, it may help.

First of, learn a few pentatonic shapes. Seeing as your songs in C major, I'd recomend either 2 or 3 Cmajor pentatonic shapes or 2 or 3 A minor pentatonic shapes, just remember that no matter the shape you'll always be playing in C.

Once you've learnt a few shapes (2 or 3 is fine) of the pentatonic scale, you probably should try to focus on what you feel is the right next note and play REALLY slow. Try to listen to some of those slow expressive blues solo's to get what I mean. Whilst doing this, try to become proficient at moving around the fretboard and between shapes. Aim to be able to slide between 3 or 4 notes on the same string.
Copying a singers phrasing and rhthym is generally a good idea to when learning how to improvise. And I dont mean metal singers/screamers, who sing really fast. Copy something slow. This is how people started writing those slow blues solo's.

Doing this will get your phrasing (by copying those singers) and your technique (by moving between shapes) ready for doing some real solo's (as in, stuff that sounds good). Than after you've got all that down and when you're good enough to say that you personally enjoy what you're playing (it took me a couple of years to enjoy my pentatonic wankery), you'll be ready to move on. Than study the major scale, the intervals behind it, the way these intervals create harmonic/melodic consonance and dissonance and watch melodic control by marty friedman. Pretty much look for and study as much theory as you can eat. And analyse solo's, ask yourself, why do they sound good?
At this stage you should start realising that the same note can sound better or worse over different chords and some notes sound better or worse when followed (or preceeded) by some notes. Exploiting this will enable you to control what you're solo's are going to feel like, instead of blindly looking for the right note.

Enjoy and sorrt about the wall of text
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Ah, pentatonics, don't think he's learned much about them yet, I'll recommend he look into that. Aswell as apply some of the other useful info here... thanks guys!