I've been practicing my sweep picking a lot lately and I think I'm starting to make progress.

Right now I'm only doing three string sweeps.

They sound clean for the most part but when I do them you can clearly hear the pick strike the string and it's giving them a choppy kind of sound.

Every demonstration I hear the sweeps are so clean you can't even tell a pick is being used.

Could this be a problem with my technique or my distortion settings?

Any advice would be great
Maybe its your picks or how your holding it? Hold it as parallel(can't spell sorry) to the strings as possible....and use jim dunlop tortex or jazz 3's =P
My Stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson straps
Dunlop straplok
Planet wave cables
Zoom multi effects
I read somewhere that you should tilt the pick in the direction that you are sweeping. Is this a bad thing to do?
there are already ****loads of sweep threads, and a sweep picking FAQ thread.
but anywaaays...
tilting the pick is not a necessity, but i don't know what you're really experiencing, because that never happened to me. maybe you play with your amp really low so you hear the guitar in 'acoustic' just as much as you hear through the amp? maybe you've got weird material picks?
Quote by RCalisto
but anywaaays...
tilting the pick is not a necessity, but i don't know what you're really experiencing, because that never happened to me. maybe you play with your amp really low so you hear the guitar in 'acoustic' just as much as you hear through the amp? maybe you've got weird material picks?

Sorry to bother you dude. I should have stated I read through the sweep picking threads and none of them addressed this particular problem. I'll keep working on it. It could just be the picks I'm using.

My bad for cluttering up the forum
Quote by yearzero
Sorry to bother you dude. I should have stated I read through the sweep picking threads and none of them addressed this particular problem. I'll keep working on it. It could just be the picks I'm using.

My bad for cluttering up the forum

it's that there's already a 'master' thread - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629527&highlight=sweep

the mods should have stickied that long ago...

anyways what kind of picks are you using? metal? rock? and i mean material not musical genres :P
I use Fender "heavy" picks plus a variety of Dunlop picks.

Is there a pick that's better for sweeping?
Quote by Scum-bag Carrol
Maybe its your picks or how your holding it? Hold it as parallel(can't spell sorry) to the strings as possible....and use jim dunlop tortex or jazz 3's =P

He would really want to hold it pretty angled. Having it parallel causes the pick to clip more, which isn't too fun.
Perhaps it's you accidentally/habitually cutting off the notes before the next one sounds that gives it such a choppy sound. Slow down, and make sure that you don't mute the sound of the currently-ringing note until you strike the next one.
Quote by yearzero
I've been practicing my sweep picking a lot lately and I think I'm starting to make progress.

Right now I'm only doing three string sweeps.

They sound clean for the most part but when I do them you can clearly hear the pick strike the string and it's giving them a choppy kind of sound.

Every demonstration I hear the sweeps are so clean you can't even tell a pick is being used.

Could this be a problem with my technique or my distortion settings?

Any advice would be great

Are the notes staccato, or is it just that there's too much pick attack for your taste?

If the former, you need to just be less zealous regarding muting. If the latter, then just dig in less - use less of the pick.

And tbh, the majority of sweep demonstrations online are poor and sloppy. Most people just whack on lots of gain and the reason you can't hear the pick is because they barely co-ordinate it with the left hand.

Rusty cooley has amazing sweeping technique and you can hear a bit of pick attack in it, which i like very much, actually.

I think this is okay, it's a very specific issue.
I'm think you're right freepower the notes are far too staccato and not as smooth as I'd like them to be.

I also think you're right because I've been paying a lot of attention of my picking hand muting the notes.

I'll keep at it and see if it helps.

Thank you

Edit: Also it could be as FixationDarkness said and I'm not letting the notes ring out long enough.

Damn this is really hard
Last edited by yearzero at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by fixationdarknes
I essentially say the same thing before but of course FP gets all the credit It's okay he deserves it he r awesome

Don't worry man I edited my post to give you credit too.

Thank you both for helping me and again....DAMN this is really hard
i reckon this problem has a lot to do with tone. about the same amount as technique, i reckon.

make sure you're using your neck pickup while you sweep, and don't put too much treble in your tone.
[quote="'jamie[wls"]']i reckon this problem has a lot to do with tone. about the same amount as technique, i reckon.

make sure you're using your neck pickup while you sweep, and don't put too much treble in your tone.

the problem has already been sppoted, you're pretty late.
plus: you don't need to use your neck pickup to sweep. yes, it may sound better in some situations, but the bridge pickup doesn't sound bad.
plus: no treble? hell, i always have my treble at max :P (i have to anyways or pinch harmonics on the neck pickup won't sound )
Quote by JubeiTHPS
He would really want to hold it pretty angled. Having it parallel causes the pick to clip more, which isn't too fun.
Well I hold it parallel and lossen my pick so its "sweeps"/"strokes" the strings but still enough force to hit the note
its mostly about muting though
My Stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson straps
Dunlop straplok
Planet wave cables
Zoom multi effects