so im going off to college in a few weeks and im going to be a freshman and i was wondering for all those college people in UG what its like to be a guitar player in college. I was wondering does it help your social status? do you really get chicks? are guitar players usually losers? and other questions like that...i just want to know what to expect when i go to college with my guitar

EDIT: ok so im getting responses saying dont use it for chicks, but thats not what im going for im just trying to say in general whats it like
Last edited by SenseS FaiL at Aug 5, 2008,
umm...just play man...who the hell cares what you seem like
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Quote by SenseS FaiL
so im going off to college in a few weeks and im going to be a freshman and i was wondering for all those college people in UG what its like to be a guitar player in college. I was wondering does it help your social status? do you really get chicks? are guitar players usually losers? and other questions like that...i just want to know what to expect when i go to college with my guitar

I'd like to know too.
Don't worry about that. Just enjoy playing guitar, not how many times you'll get laid, or how many parties you'll get invited to, although those are nice bonuses
You usually don't have much time for it and it remains completely out of your social life.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
don't use your guitar for popularity and girls man.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Yes you'll pick up loads of chicks

No, guitarists are at the top of the college food chain, right next to cheerleaders and jocks

EDIT: Although, this only works if you play Jack Johnosn or whatvere is popular these days
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
i think your playing guitar for the wrong reasons.

Playing guitar in college is no different than in high school. Usually its by yourself, and isnt that exciting. your not going to pick up chicks or be popular just because you play guitar
its never a big part of your social life...people just think its kind of cool, but no girls will go for you if youre not confident, fun, and decent looking...i dont care if you can play speed kills left handed, behind your back...I'm an athlete too, athletes def get more stree cred cause people can come see you play...i play in a band though, youll get fans that way too
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
If your just one of those who plays to get people's attention. Just don't give the thing to somebody who will use it.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Yes you'll pick up loads of chicks

No, guitarists are at the top of the college food chain, right next to cheerleaders and jocks

EDIT: Although, this only works if you play Jack Johnosn or whatvere is popular these days

...also Slayer
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
It's just like playing before. :\ You grab it and play. People ask you how good you are, you sigh and give a lame answer. Stupid girls are interested, smarter ones don't care.
1) Being a guitar player is a guaranteed social status boost, and helps seducing girls
2) You should never play the guitar just to be cool and impress people, but rather simply enjoy it
3) If you are pretentious about the fact that you're a guitar player, it could actually make you sound like an arrogant asshole
4) If you are not interesting and fun in the first place, it won't help that much

My experience from being a guitar player myself, as well as several close friends.
I know plenty of guys who play guitar and are dickheads, and plenty that play and are legends.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
no, people will see you as the kid who plays annoying stuff in the background, theres a kid at my college who has the cheek to bring in a battery amp and blast out crappy metal solos.

he gets booed away on a regular basis.

dont play guitar outside for the sake of looking cool.
Quote by SenseS FaiL
I was wondering does it help your social status?

Nothing ... unless you do a lot of gigs on campus and places where many students go to.
Just don't be the person that brags about playing guitar. It sounds pathetic and there'll always be someone better than you.

Attraction works like this:

Modesty + Being a decent player = Copious poontang.
Arrogance + Awesome player = Sausage fest of other arrogant wankers.
Yeah, there's not really such a thing as "social status" in college. It's not like high school. You're not going to know that many people, and it's really not a popularity contest.
_______
|||||||||||||||
If you are going to play guitar in public and want to be popular with non-guitarists

1. Acoustic, not electric
2. Funky, not thrash
3. Don't have long greasy hair
4. Don't wear all black

And so on.
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Quote by dannyisokay
Yeah, there's not really such a thing as "social status" in college. It's not like high school. You're not going to know that many people, and it's really not a popularity contest.

+1. No one gives a **** who you were or how cool you were in high school.

The smart students are focusing on their career, the stupid ones are tallying the bj's they've gotten and the beer bongs they've hit.

Just play and don't sweat the small stuff.
sorry to sort of high-jack the thread but I found it appropriate. What are the opportunities to play guitar at college? Can I bring my 1000 dollar amp to my room and just rock out or do I have to buy a microcube and play with headphones? And are there any sort of guitar societies that anyone can join where you basically just jam and play guitar?

Im moving to the US next year so I need to know what to expect.
Quote by apollo minor
The ugly students are focusing on their career, the hot ones are tallying the bj's they've gotten and the beer bongs they've hit.

Fixed
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by xaedon
sorry to sort of high-jack the thread but I found it appropriate. What are the opportunities to play guitar at college? Can I bring my 1000 dollar amp to my room and just rock out or do I have to buy a microcube and play with headphones? And are there any sort of guitar societies that anyone can join where you basically just jam and play guitar?

Im moving to the US next year so I need to know what to expect.

I'm speaking for europe here, not the US but its not that much of a different situation

a) dorm rooms are tiny, or at least mine is
b) small amps get louder than you realise....espescially when theres 200 people living within 50 feet of you. There some guy on the other side of the building with the 10watt Ibanez practice amp, you can hear it everywhere
c) but no one really gives a crap if you're too loud between, about 10am and 9pm

generally, with so many people together in one places you're going to find a couple of musicians. Either you'll hear them or they'll hear you...

I personally just use my acoustic though I've brought my electric up for a couple weeks

learn to sing a bit

shred wank stuff and metalz riffs = sausagefest
Last edited by seljer at Aug 5, 2008,
a guitar society you are looking at is called a band. Join one.

If you want to get evicted out of your dorm, sure, bring your Dual-Rectifier.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
depends, if you're the type who likes to play really technical stuff and you're decked out with the latest and greatest in guitar and amp tech, others will probably be indifferent (fellow guitarists will be interested, of course). If you're the type who has shaggy hair, not too clean shaven, and playing some banged up old acoustic in the middle of the lawn, you'll probably get onlookers. But don't go into guitar expecting to be the talk of the town. Just do it for fun and everything else will fall into place.
guitar wont get you laid unless your famous
Quote by BadgeMan
I think this is fitting -

e-3-------------------
b---3--3-5-3--------
g-----------------3-4
d-----------------4-5
a-----------------4-5
E-----------------2-3
hehe, as I said Im moving there with scholarship to play the NCAA div 1 soccer so Im kind of a really good athlete body and sporty looks. So they won't take me for a bum at least. About playing to get chicks. Im rather the opposite. I don't like playing loud in front of people as I don't want to brag or anything. And Im just playing guitar for fun so it's just some sort of hobby. It's just that Im sort of a gadget freak who can't stand bad sounding things. Like bad mp3's, sound systems and so on. That's why I want really good sounding guitar equipment.