OK, today i sat down and compared that sounds of my vintage tube amp to my spider III to see what difference i could find, and my analysis brought about this conclusion: while the the tube amp was noticeably clearer, the spider had an overall better tone to it. the only area where the spider truly lost was chords because it tended to get a bit muddy.

what this has made me think is this: instead of it being a matter of tube versus SS, is it actually an issue of quality?

for example, my friend's Marshall JCM2000 stack, kicks my spider all over the place. It also cost 4 times more. Would an equivalently priced SS with equivalent quality match the Marshall in sound?

I know most people are going to say something like " NO NUBCAKES!! TUBES 4RE T3H 1337SAUCE!!" but please actually consider this.

thanks!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Of course.

People hate on solid states because the only ones they usually play are cheap practice amps.

Remember when solid states first came out, they were advertised as better than tube amps because they had more headroom, didn't compress at higher volumes and punchier tone. Many early solid state amps sounded great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko

Amazing tone.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 5, 2008,
The only ss amps that i tried and like where the Roland Jazz chorus and the high end randalls. The Jazz chorus could clean up shop on any tube amps clean(in terms of crystal clear cleans) and model extremely well with a good rack tube pre amp like the Rockatron Prophecy or a mesa tri axis.The jazz chorus is my favorite amp actually.

However for most commonly found solid states, like the ones in guitar stores, its hard to find ones that are equally priced as "good" tube amps. You mainly find the piss off mg's, atvs , frontmans, and spiders in shop. And for about the price of the big huge wattage ones, there are tube amps for about the same price that do a better job.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by al112987

wow, so thats a solid state? hmm what brands of good solid states are out there now?? i know that the upper end Line 6's are supposedly pretty nice.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
ye alot of people will just say valve will kick ss but so isnt the case all the time if u like want a classic rock tone for a gig a cranked valve will sounds better but for like metal in a bedroom a ss will most likely sound better.

as for your question i wouldnt see why not but a lot of people will belive in there heads the tube will sound better when sometimes it doesnt
Quote by bored_maniac33
wow, so thats a solid state? hmm what brands of good solid states are out there now?? i know that the upper end Line 6's are supposedly pretty nice.

Its an old Gallien-Krueger, and an amazing lead tone.

Of course it all has to do with the player. 90% of your tone comes from how you play.
Quote by al112987

Of course it all has to do with the player. 90% of your tone comes from how you play.

so if SRV plays through a marshall mg? the tone will be good?

...news to me
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
No but it will not sound bad. A good player can make a bad amp sound reasonable. Obviously it won't sound great because it has its limits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10il4UvXrzg

I guarantee you that half the players on this site who bash MGs could not get a better sound than this guy out of their amps.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 5, 2008,
MG doesn't sound bad in that clip. There are also a couple of clips by Rob Math that don't sound bad either.
There is a lot to be said for garbage in garbage out. A lot of people would be far better off worrying about their playing skills than the tone of their amp. Good playing skills need to be learnt first because then you have the skills to be able to get the best out of the amp in the first place. The problem is it is much easier to look at equipment than look at ones own shortcomings. Its not just with guitars you'll find it in most hobbies that requier some sort of technology people will tend to pour money into buying better equipment but in the end nothing really changes.
Quote by al112987

No it doesn't, if you play through a guitar with weak pickups, you're not going to make it scream like a guitar with DiMarzios in it, you'll lack the punchy tone that the better pickups will provide.
Quote by al112987
Of course.

People hate on solid states because the only ones they usually play are cheap practice amps.

Remember when solid states first came out, they were advertised as better than tube amps because they had more headroom, didn't compress at higher volumes and punchier tone. Many early solid state amps sounded great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko

Amazing tone.

though not all the old solid state designs sound great.... they hadn't really figured out the new transistor things so they basically just used tube design principles, which often didn't really work that well when applied to solid state

its all in the design

Quote by PanHead
Those old SS amps were analog amps. Good stuff there.

the 15 watt MG is all analog