Hi.

At the moment, I'm playing both bass and guitar (bass first, notice). As I have eventually gotten into more and more strange bands (chiefly Radiohead and The Mars Volta) my pedalboard for my guitar has slowly grown into quite a nice collection.

Anyway, now that I'm considering joining a band playing bass, I thought it only fair to pay it some attention with the effects. I know Dist/ fuzz really needs a bass specific pedal which is fine- its a topic that is frequently discussed here and I get the jist- I can live with that.

My question is the other stuff... I'm looking primarily at delays and octavers. I tried my bass through some of my other pedals- a Boss re20 space echo, ehx deluxe memory man with hazarai, an ehx line boost and a whammy (well, that was just for fun) and I still noticed a significant dip in low end and general tone.

So now I'm asking are there specific pedals in the delay octave areas which don't cut your low end? Are their certain pedals to avoid because they can't handle the lower frequenices? the boss DD3 seems to be in many pro rigs so I might get/try that (if I'm no happy with it, it can go on my guitar pedalboard so its not exactly the end of the world).

Don't worry, this isn't top of my priorities but it'd be good to know my options.
Is there some way you can get them in an effects loop instead?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Modulation effects not made specifically for bass are kind of hit or miss, sometimes the low end will remain intact, other times not. The big exception is chorus, bass specific chorus tends to sound very different than guitar effect chorus.

Other general rules to follow(you already pointed out the dist/fuzz thing: anything envelope oriented is going to need to be bass specific/adaptable for bass--wah, envelope filter, etc. Some octave/pitch pedals will track poorly if they are not made for bass, this is also true for octave fuzzes, and some ring mod stuff (even the occasional cheap tuner!) I'm sure the bass forum regulars can give a list of good shifters/octave pedals that they have found work well for bass.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Modulation effects not made specifically for bass are kind of hit or miss, sometimes the low end will remain intact, other times not. The big exception is chorus, bass specific chorus tends to sound very different than guitar effect chorus.

Other general rules to follow(you already pointed out the dist/fuzz thing: anything envelope oriented is going to need to be bass specific/adaptable for bass--wah, envelope filter, etc. Some octave/pitch pedals will track poorly if they are not made for bass, this is also true for octave fuzzes, and some ring mod stuff (even the occasional cheap tuner!) I'm sure the bass forum regulars can give a list of good shifters/octave pedals that they have found work well for bass.

Ah, thanks a lot. So far, I'm getting the genral sense that:

Chorus- bass specific
Flanger- hit or miss
Phaser- hit or miss
Envelope Filter- bass specific
Wah- bass specific
Delay- hit or miss
Octave- hot or miss

Can anyone recommend any decent octave or delay pedals for bass? I'm not so concerned about the others.
For delay the Digitech DigiDelay X-Series is a great little delay pedal. I'd recommend Digitech's chorus pedal as well.
Quote by anarkee
For delay the Digitech DigiDelay X-Series is a great little delay pedal. I'd recommend Digitech's chorus pedal as well.

is this the 'Digitech HMXDD Digital Delay'? Have you compared it to the Boss DD3? I don't know why but I've always been sceptical about digitech, especially about getting a nice delay at £80... althought the Boss is only £10 more.
Quote by anarkee
http://www.zzounds.com/item--DGTDD

is the one I own. Great little stomp pedal.

Ah, wonderful. Sorry to ask this again, but does anyone have any experience with the Boss DD3? I'm looking at a cheap second hand one on ebay (coupled with a £10 off voucher) and I'm getting really interested in it. I might just have to check my space echo again to see if it was that bad, I remember the 'peak' light flashed every time I plucked a note which it didn't do with the guitar which probably means something's up.
Personally I love the Space Echo on bass and if I wasn't limited on funds it would be my bass delay. Also for fuzz check out Electronix Pedals (musicelectronix.com) he sells them through Ebay and has a great fuzz called the Messdrive(it's the one I use). For Distortion I use a Boss ODB-3 and an EHX Metal Muff. And for flanger I use a Digitech Turbo Flange
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Hmm. I had another go on the space echo. I realised that the peak level light wasn't responding to the bass notes, just general clinking of the strings from my low action (it the proceeded to echo this which was annoying) and the low end did seem like it was there so I might have been a bit brash about this one.

This only leaves me with a concern about some form of octaver. I'm only really after an octave up than an octave down to get a perhaps more definition/ combine with fuzz and echo for trippy effects. If I want a chorus/ envelope in the future I know to go bass specific and probably for digitech it would seem.

so Octave pedals anyone?
Don't know about octave pedals, but back to the DD3, I haven't used it, but I own a DD6 and it sounds very nice. I imagine it's little brother sounds the same. It does color the tone a bit when disengaged, especially if you have to stick it in front of an amp instead of in the effects loop. I haven't really had too much tone-suck issues since putting it in my loop.

And yeah, the digitech bass chorus is highly praised around here, I just got one a few weeks ago after hearing all the hype on this forum, and I have to say that I am very satisfied.

EBS makes some octave pedals just for bass I think, so try those out at any big retail place. Also I think fitzy owns one version or another of EHX's POG, so maybe he can shed some light on that as an octave pedal.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Aug 6, 2008,
yeah, thanks.

I was looking into the EBS octavia thing but I'm pretty sure it only does the octave down as opposed to the octave up which I'm after. The POG may well be the answer although slightly pricey (as a general rule I look to spend just under £100 on a pedal, with the odd exception). Oh well.

Really appreciate the help people. I'm starting to get a pedal board line up in my head:

EHX POG
MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz
Boss RE20 Space Echo (with exp pedal)

And then I can add the EHX Bassballs (maybe a chorus) later. I guess this is called GAS.