a pick, a bass with lots of mid-range and low end (fender jazz special/precision special) etc. and a good amp.

No FX just a good bass a good amp and a pick is essential for that tone.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Wait....Your complaining about sounding musical?
*facepalm*
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Slapping and muted strings?
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by Johnny Trash
a pick, a bass with lots of mid-range and low end (fender jazz special/precision special) etc. and a good amp.

No FX just a good bass a good amp and a pick is essential for that tone.
Is it possilbe for a MIM Jazz Bass with two single coil pickups get that tone?

EDIT: Not that I like the tone;just curious
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
GC: Your bass sound is pretty radical with a lot of extreme low end coupled with a high percussive attack and rattle. How do you get that sound?

Fieldy: I don't use any mid-range, it's all highs and lows. I take the mid-range and turn that s--t off. And when you slap, it's just real clicky sounding and when you use your fingers it's real low. I take the graphic EQ at 180Hz and I take that all the way down too. That's the style I play. I'm a drummer. I'm a drummer on bass.

the interview here:
http://gc.guitarcenter.com/interview/fieldy/
Omg ive been looking for that tone forever too. Ive just been using trebble boosts. I found that you can do it by plucking harder like Steve harris. This is easyer if you use 2 fingers to pluck. Low action and flatwound strings.
a stingray or a bass with an MM + tube amp seems to be a really easy way to get that tone IMO
but you can achieve that kind of tone with no problems by using any bass with a bridge pup(j, p special) and boosting the high mids and lows
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
Is it possilbe for a MIM Jazz Bass with two single coil pickups get that tone?

EDIT: Not that I like the tone;just curious

Yeah it is. But it probably won't have as much low end rumble as something with say a P-Bass pickup fitted as well
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Quote by Tatersalad1080
Wait....Your complaining about sounding musical?
*facepalm*

No, I'm complaining about getting a pure tone when I'm trying to sound nasty. A bass player who can only get a pure and simple tone is a boring bass player.

Thanks for the advice guys, didn't get this until this morning, but I'll try at practice tonight.
I played around with my amp earlier, I got fairly close... I'm on a GK 1001... I had the bass about 2/3 of the way up, totally killed the low mid's, boosted the high mids all the way, and had the treble 2/3 of the way up. I think it would have been even closer if I had fresh strings, mine are kind of old.
Fieldy's tone has never really been sought-after by many bassists, so I wouldn't use that as an example. Really, that's just a modern, gritty tone. On Freak On a Leash, I'm almost 100% sure he used some kind of distortion for that tone. Some boosted high-mids, treble, and bass and new strings will get you that tone.

EDIT: and I'm almost sure that the A7X bassist had a little distortion. If not, he has a considerably growl-y bass with plenty of low-mids.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by corndogggy
I played around with my amp earlier, I got fairly close... I'm on a GK 1001... I had the bass about 2/3 of the way up, totally killed the low mid's, boosted the high mids all the way, and had the treble 2/3 of the way up. I think it would have been even closer if I had fresh strings, mine are kind of old.

i think they both used clean gain. it really helps you to get a nice growly tone. you can get that tone with boss bassOD
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400