http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Humanizing-the-Beijing-ticket-scam?urn=oly,98646

Throughout this week we've followed the story of beijingticketing.com, the Web site that sold fraudulent tickets for the Olympic Games to people all over the world. From a general perspective, it's a story that makes the average reader shake his or her head and wonder how something like this could happen.

When real victims share their heartbreaking stories, the gravity of the situation hits -- pardon the cliche -- much closer to home.

Among the victims is a California man who may now be unable to watch his 16-year-old daughter compete in swimming events. The father of a U.S. softball team player also says he was scammed after he paid $3,500 for tickets to the opening ceremony.

The victims aren't limited to families of U.S. teams, either. The father of a high school swimmer who qualified for Singapore's team lost thousands and will be unable to watch his daughter swim in person.

Gerald Lim said that in June he spent more than $3,000 on 3 tickets for himself, his wife and his other daughter to attend preliminary rounds for three events – the 200, 400, and 800 meter freestyle races -- where his daughter would compete.

To make matters worse for Lim, he consulted with a travel agent who assured him "beijingticketing.com" was a 100% legitimate operation. On Monday, he received an email stating the suppliers weren't able to honor their committment to supply his tickets. As stated earlier this week, "beijingticketing.com" appeared first on Google searches for Olympic tickets, even ahead of the official Olympic site, making the distinction between "questionable" and "legitimate" operation more difficult to discern.

To help ticket scam victims, a Web site has been set up by a Houston-based attorney, Jim Moriarty. Moriarty lost $12,000 on tickets, and will miss out on opening and closing ceremonies.

On Saturday his help-site, Beijingticketscam.com, went live. Moriarty is also asking for help from the International Olympic Committee and the U.S. Olympic Committee to get victims tickets once they arrive in China.

All this after questions were raised in a British newspaper earlier this year about the validity of "beijingticketing.com". Moriarty says the IOC knew about the Web site in March, but failed to act on it.

Once it was too late, the IOC and USOC filed lawsuits in Arizona and California, though Moriarty says there is very little the legal system can do; the U.S. addresses the site used were fake.

Ouch.
Quote by legiondairy
inb4 steve the plank

Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
its not nice but i can think of alot lower
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by legiondairy
inb4 steve the plank

But really, I don't think it makes it any worse than it was.
the chinese have banned welsh competitors and fans from waving welsh flags

same goes for scottish and irish and english...youre only allowed to wave a Union Jack
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Quote by XCount Me InX

same goes for scottish and irish and english...youre only allowed to wave a Union Jack

thats ridiculous
Sig space available, give me some praise
seriously, I'm surprised nothing worse has happened so far concerning the controversy of China being allowed to host the Olympic Games.

meh, so a couple of people lost a lot of money... I feel really, sincerely sorry for them, especially since their daughters are competing, but it's really not THAT big a deal.
Quote by XCount Me InX

Wow, that's retarded.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Quote by legiondairy
inb4 steve the plank

Meh, the world is ****ed up. What else is new?
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
That's horrible.
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
it's why third party (private) companies should not be used to distribute tickets for anything

if there is one source it would be so much easier,

seeing as China says it's communist you'd think they would make sure it is the state that provides tickets
Quote by Steve The Plank
bastard

lol.

This is kinda ****ty, but why call it a new low? Worse stuff than this has happened...

I'm surprised they caught the site this late.
Quote by CoreysMonster
seriously, I'm surprised nothing worse has happened so far concerning the controversy of China being allowed to host the Olympic Games.

meh, so a couple of people lost a lot of money... I feel really, sincerely sorry for them, especially since their daughters are competing, but it's really not THAT big a deal.

You might feel a little differant if it was YOUR 12,000 that got robbed.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!