i scalloped my neck... and i don't notice a diffrence than when it wasn't... am i doing something wrong?
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
which is on his neck, yes. way to waste a post. i'm sure if he had the skills to do it, he wouldn't do it on the back of the neck. and it's used for almost whammy type of bends and such. I'm not a fan. Push very hard on the strings though, good luck getting better callus's!

Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by shampooboy37
i scalloped my neck... and i don't notice a diffrence than when it wasn't... am i doing something wrong?
How deep did you go?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
i'd say like a centimeter or two...
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
And you don't feel a difference?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by shampooboy37
i'd say like a centimeter or two...

Did you do it yourself and did you do the entire fingerboard? I can't see how you could go 2 cms down and not notice a difference, you playing a note and pressing too hard should make it go out of tune, if you don't notice I'd guess you don't know how the note should sound and if you don't know how far down you went then you probably did a bad job. If you didn't sorry, but that's all I can think of.
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
...Are you pushing the strings much further down then they would be with a standard fretboard?
can you get a pic up? There's no way you wouldn't feel a difference if you did it right.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
wow 2cm... ?
wouldn't you be hitting the truss rod at that point... ?

which bit did you scallop... ?
high frets / low frets / entire board /custom scallop ?
Post a pic.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by TheShred201
Actually, if you played with very light finger pressure before hand and still do, you won't notice much of a difference.

And no way you did a 2cm scallop. That would be almost an inch (fretboards are generally about a quarter of an inch thick).

maybe he meant 2mm? If he did 2mm, then he almost certianly wouldn't feel a difference.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Aug 5, 2008,
Perhaps. I was just pointing out that 2cm is WAY too much wood to remove. I don't know though, I think you'd still notice a 2mm scallop. As I pointed out, Fretboards are generally between a quarter and a third of an inch I believe. If an Inch is 25 mm, then a third of an inch would be about 6.3 mm. 2mm would be about a third of that and would be a reasonable amount to remove. Even an 8th of an inch is at times regarded as an excessive scallop, and that's about 3 millimeters.
Last edited by TheShred201 at Aug 5, 2008,
Quote by TheShred201
Perhaps. I was just pointing out that 2cm is WAY too much wood to remove.

yeah, I just didn't quite realize that at first. If his fretboard is a separate piece of wood from the neck, he would have certianly sawed completely through it, and be scraping the truss rod.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
i really can't post pics... sorry no camera but i guess it's not two cent. i'm bad with estimations but it looks like the link that was posted in #7 but it's only a half scalloped and it's a little deeper...

yes i did it my self... i don't think i have a hard touch either way...
Quote by shampooboy37
i really can't post pics... sorry no camera but i guess it's not two cent. i'm bad with estimations but it looks like the link that was posted in #7 but it's only a half scalloped and it's a little deeper...

yes i did it my self... i don't think i have a hard touch either way...

Not even a cellphone camera?
Quote by TheShred201
Not even a cellphone camera?

i have a pic on my cell phone but i don't know how to upload it....
Last edited by shampooboy37 at Aug 5, 2008,
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
We really need to see this. I understand wanting to save cash, but... have you ever scalloped before?

well it was on a squier and i have an epiphone so it's like why not... but it's my first shot...
Quote by TheShred201
Take picture via cellphone, upload picture to computer (probably via USB), or send as a text message to an email and download, then attach to thread.

how do you send a txt to an email?
i hope the picture works... but it's def not 2 cent. i'm just really bad at guessing lol sorry...
Attachments:
small neck.jpg
Did you play with a light touch before?

Or maybe (no offense intended) do you have fat fingers?
i had sort of a light touch... i mean it wasn't that hard... maybe in the middle... and i don't have fat fingers so no offense taken...
well .. it looks kinda strange, but I dunno if it is badly scalloped
Looks like a scalloped neck to me. Its not the most aggressive I've seen by a long shot, but you should feel quite a difference IMHO.

What gauge strings are you using? If you have a light touch and you're using 11's, there is a good chance you won't notice a big difference.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
i use 10s.... and i would say like a medium touch...
From the picture it looks like you actually did a pretty good job, so kudos. But you should be noticing a difference.
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
why thank you but i usually use nines, and tens were all i had so when i switch will inotice more of a change?
You will notice a more pronounced change from the scalloping, from smaller gauge strings.
It's almost like the scalloped neck makes a set of 9's feel like 10's and 10 feel like 11"s and so on.
so it's supposed to make the strings feel harder? i thought it would be backwards... since if you press too hard the string will bend like a vibrato
I find it kind of funny that you were able to properly scallop a fretboard without knowing what it actually did.
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
well i looked at the warmoth scalloped neck and i was like i'll try it... i have a crap guitar so why not...

EDIT: this is what i looked at lol
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=scalloping
Last edited by shampooboy37 at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by shampooboy37
so it's supposed to make the strings feel harder? i thought it would be backwards... since if you press too hard the string will bend like a vibrato
From what I've heard, scalloping should make chords MUCH harder to play as an aggressive grip can cause parts of the chord to go out of tune.

The point of scalloping (AFAIK) is to make bends feel more effortless. If you can't feel the fingerboard, you can perform smoother bends.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
well on the warmoth website they said like easier taps and i don't notice a diffrence in that... nor in pretty much anything else.... i actually think that it's a little harder to tap... cause my notes aren't ringing out like they did...