Hey, I'm new here and I'm in a band with 2 guitarist right now. And basically we're having problems making our guitars work off each other right. Right now our sound is really muddy and sort of clashes with each other. I have a Crate (i know not the best for this situation) and my friend has a Fender. Should I turn my mid up or down? I'm thinking that we should make a high sounding guitar and a low one, right? And should the lead guitar be a little louder than the rhythm or a lot more? Which brings up another issue. I'm far better than the other guitarist and am the primarily lead, but we switch off lead between songs because he wants the spot light. Won't that bring problems with the volumes and tones set up between us? Any help?
I once received a bra... with "I Love John" embroidered on it. It thought it was pretty original. I didn't keep it, mind you - it didn't fit. - John Lennon

Music is my religion. - Jimi Hendrix
uhm if the other guitarists has a volume pedal he should have it midway when playing rhythm and all the way up on solos. Thats what I do. Or Get a volume boost pedal/EQ pedal. Just to use for solos. That Should help.
Change the volumes between songs?
Epiphone G-400!!!!!!!!

Washburn Bass!!!

Cordovox tube amp

Crate bass amp!!!

Kustom PA
You should get a boost pedal or something if you guys want to trade off solos, and the lead should be a lot louder than the rhythm, with more mids.

Also, you should tell him that if he wants the spotlight, he should work hard enough to deserve it.
So good to see you once again.
I thought that you were hiding.
And you thought that I had run away.
Chasing the tail of dogma.
I opened my eye and there we were .
or just use your volume knobs on the guitar
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Prove to her you won't shoot any real prostitutes. Bring one back, and show your mum how curteous and polite you can be with them.
Just get together the two of you and jam out some of your songs... It works much better than with the whole band.. gives you much better perspective on your sound...

And also.. If you want to be lead.. on the riffs and stuff like that... don't play the same as him.. try bringing it up an octave or just do fill-ins instead... most of the time only one guitar is enough...

And don't play much louder than him.. it will just make him turn up his amp in frustration.. and a too loud fender-amp will make your ears bleed...
it'll probably work out better for your band if you have two guitarists, rather than in designated positions. Most bands with rhythm and a lead often have a rivalry between guitarists, because the rhythm is jealous of the lead. this way you both will get an equal time in the spotlight.
I'd say put the amps at equal volumes, and use volume controls on the guitar. Like for rhythm 7, lead 9/10.

As for both playing lead, actually the band I'm in is kind of similar. I try and be Mr. Jazz Rock, while the other guitarist guns out Neil Young-esque leads. It sounds cool trading off, and during jams, if the chaos can be controlled, people are generally like O.O "I don't know what to do with my mind right now." Or it looks like that.
I don't know much, but I do know you shouldn't be playing the same thing. If one of you gets off time by .1 second the song sounds retarded and you both look like idiots.
The lead guitarist should be louder but only for solos get an EQ pedal to achieve this and boost the mid as well. If the other guy wants spotlight do dual-leads.
The BBE Boosta Grande pedal is a really great clean boost pedal. Very transparent.

Quote by PoundCakeJay
... and am the primarily lead, but we switch off lead between songs because he wants the spot light.

It sounds like this is your problem. You're in a band. You're a team. Grow up and set your insecurities and egos aside, and work together instead of competing. If he wants a solo or two, give him one, if for no other reason than to make him happy. Teamwork, yay! If he's not all that good, help him to make it better, or at least help him to make it simpler. Teamwork.

Make it about having fun and making music - not about showboating, ego tripping, and competitiveness.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.