I'm currently looking for a guitar teacher and I have some questions.
I tought posting here because it's about theory, sorry if I got the wrong forum.

There is this one guy that's been teaching for years and is very famous, but I think he is only teaching «cool kids», like a snob teacher. I don't got any proof but he's been very unpleasant with me and I don't think it's going to work.

Just in case my feeling about him was true, I looked around for other options. Around here it's 30 bucks an hour, with everyone. So at that price I don't want a jackass who doesn't know how to teach. How do I know that I don't get ripped off ?

Are there signs that someone is not a good guitar teacher ?
i'm looking for one to and i don't know where to look. at guitar center, they werent allowed to recomend anyone except this one school place that i haven't looked into cause it doesn't sound too great.

where exactly do you look for teachers?
My guitar teacher had his masters in classical music/guitar. He has been playing guitar for about 25 years. He's been my teacher for around 5 years.

I would say look for someone with a college degree in music so you know they know their stuff. Or ask other students what they have been learning/also ask the teacher what they teach/how they teach.
a way to test if hes a good teacher or not is are you learning anything from him if the answer is no then no hes not a good teacher lol
Quote by gab4554
he sucked and he was using ibanez

what does using Ibanez have to do with sucking?
Quote by sincewhen??
You LastAuramancer ....Are a GOD
first off hes gotta be cool to you,my guitar teacher is awesome,i talked to him for about an hour after my lesson today about different kinds of music,they need to teach you what you want to know, and what you want to learn,they need to all ways have something new for you,plus they need to be encouraging instead of just telling you what do,just look around in local music stores
Quote by one987654321
first off hes gotta be cool to you,my guitar teacher is awesome,i talked to him for about an hour after my lesson today about different kinds of music,they need to teach you what you want to know, and what you want to learn,they need to all ways have something new for you,plus they need to be encouraging instead of just telling you what do,just look around in local music stores

I think you're right about that, yeah I'll call the «unknown» teacher and see if he's a nice guy.
I agree with the college degree part. That is a definite sign that it could work.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Teaching is all about recognizing what the student needs, and how best to teach him in a way that he is going to absorb the information.

Most teachers have no people skills and fail to recognize student weaknesses, thats why I never use them, and I hated school for that reason too.

I think you guys should try learning online, it's great and interactive. Plus you can stop and start it as much as you like until you have mastered something. It's also very affordable.

Checkout the site below, within it there are links to some great sites that teach you everything you need to know, + you can learn in your own time whenever you want 24hrs a day everyday.

Cheers

D