Hello, I came here for advice choosing a new guitar because I am finding new guitars that I want to buy all the time and it's giving me a ****ing headache!

Here's the deal, I have £400 (800 USD, roughly), maybe willing to stretch another £30 if needed. I am looking for a guitar with a fixed bridge, one that will keep in tune for ages. Don't care much for the material, but I'd like a really thin neck with jumbo frets.

As for the sound... I mainly play heavy metal, rock, blues, and a lot of of classic rock - think Slayer, Iron Maiden, Jeff Beck and Thin Lizzy (is this too much versatility for the price?).

So yeah... thanks for reading and thanks in advanced for any replies...
Thanks for the suggestion, but that epi is less than £200 and I want to get the most I can out of £400.
A Schecter or a cheap PRS. I don't know how the PRS necks are though
I would try the new Mexican made Fender Jaguars or Jazzmasters...sweeet...fixed bridge,short scale neck. the Jag's have single coils or you can get them with humbuckers..& there cool!!
Quote by TheEak
A Schecter or a cheap PRS. I don't know how the PRS necks are though

Schecter's are a bitch to get in the UK, they come up on Ebay every so often, but the choice is never great.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
a PRS SE will cover a lot of ground...
or you could get a nice Epiphone Les Paul...
maybe a BC Rich Mockingbird if you like the shape...

Jacksons are never a bad idea...
but i'm just a little bit biased towards them...
:P
PRS SE Custom
http://www.gear4music.com/PRS_SE_Custom_Stoptail_Cherry_SBsefv_5.html?gad=COO_5foBEgjUTSM1_6-iXBi0mZL_AyDfv5AR

Buy some Grover Mini Locking Tuners from Ebay (£20), maybe replace the nut (£30), and you have an excellent guitar. If you get tired of the stock pickups (they sound good - just not _great_), you can upgrade them in the future.

I'm putting burstbucker pros in my one, which will make it a beast!
Quote by DEATHPANDA
Hello, I came here for advice choosing a new guitar because I am finding new guitars that I want to buy all the time and it's giving me a ****ing headache!

Here's the deal, I have £400 (800 USD, roughly), maybe willing to stretch another £30 if needed. I am looking for a guitar with a fixed bridge, one that will keep in tune for ages. Don't care much for the material, but I'd like a really thin neck with jumbo frets.

As for the sound... I mainly play heavy metal, rock, blues, and a lot of of classic rock - think Slayer, Iron Maiden, Jeff Beck and Thin Lizzy (is this too much versatility for the price?).

So yeah... thanks for reading and thanks in advanced for any replies...

Epiphone Futura Prophecy EX
"I wish I had a Dean :/ Some day I will get my wings too "

I am a beginner guitarist and I am so proud I joined the guitar world ^^ It's pretty cool. Songs I learned till now :

Talk by Coldplay
Quote by steven seagull

+ infinity.

or, if machinehead still have them, maybe the wi65pro (for £239).

don't be concerned about the price, either of those is easily the equal of, if not better than, most other guitars under £400.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Test these for sure:
- Jackson RR5
- Jackson DKMGT
- Jackson DK2
- Ibanez RG1570
- Schecter C1 Classic
- LTD 400/500/600/1000 series
- Washburn X50 Pro
- Epiphone EM2 - EX or another prophecy guitar you prefer (they're pretty sweet, test em!)
- Edwards

I think that if you test those guitars, you have a pretty good idea of what you want.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
You want pie Horlicks?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Sorry to pinch the thread a little but does the washburn x50 pro have markers to show what the frets are? i know it doesnt have them on the actual fretboard but does it have them on the side of the neck?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Epiphone les paul custom plus, not quite sure how it handles heavy metal though, should be good.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Quote by lwayneio
Sorry to pinch the thread a little but does the washburn x50 pro have markers to show what the frets are? i know it doesnt have them on the actual fretboard but does it have them on the side of the neck?

yes.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Test these for sure:
- Jackson RR5
- Jackson DKMGT
- Jackson DK2
- Ibanez RG1570
- Schecter C1 Classic
- Washburn X50 Pro
- Epiphone EM2 - EX or another prophecy guitar you prefer (they're pretty sweet, test em!)
- Edwards

I think that if you test those guitars, you have a pretty good idea of what you want.

He wants a fixed bridge, those 2 are out.
Hey you should go to soundcontrol (now reverb or something else) and get a Schecter Tempest Custom. I got mine for only £350!! It has been reduced from £500 to £400 and if you barter they will hopefully give you an extra £50 off. I will get photos of it up soon.
^^Jackson DK2T then.
The Ibanez indeed is only avail with trem, my bad.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by II J3D II
Hey you should go to soundcontrol (now reverb or something else) and get a Schecter Tempest Custom. I got mine for only £350!! It has been reduced from £500 to £400 and if you barter they will hopefully give you an extra £50 off. I will get photos of it up soon.

+1. I didn't suggest a Tempest cos I only saw them for £400+, but they are really nice guitars. Highly versatile, good quality and they look badass.
Quote by II J3D II

Washburn is better and cheaper
Quote by LP_CL
Test these for sure:
- Jackson RR5
- Jackson DKMGT
- Jackson DK2
- Ibanez RG1570
- Schecter C1 Classic
- Washburn X50 Pro
- Edwards

good list, obviously try as many as you can.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thin Lizzy! Woo, high 5! *gives TS a high 5*

Maybe an Epiphone Les Paul, that'll get all the tones you want, considering you won't need single coils, unless you want early Lizzy. Which you would want a HSS Strat.

So yeah.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I appreciate it. I'm very much liking the looks and sounds of the Washburn x50 pro FE (with EMG's, should I go for the Seymour Duncans?).

But... after explaining my dilemma, my mum said she'll take me to brighton to visit GAK, which is about a 3 hour journey... I'll be sure to write down all the suggestions and try them out in the shop! I'm going on monday and I'll bump this thread and say which guitar I got and how much I like it, and pics (unless, you don't want me to).

Cheers!
if you're going that far, make sure you phone them first to make sure they have the washburn in stock!

the emg one is a lot more expensive, basically. it is a bit more geared for metal, and if you'd only switch to emgs later, then it's probably cheaper than performing the retrofit yourself. if it were me i'd take the one with duncans to save money (though i don't solely play metal). That being said, it doesn't sound like you solely play metal either, so i'd probably get the one with duncans. but try both if you can. and as many as you can of those guitars on that long list which LP_CL posted, too.

EDIT: I almost forgot- what's your amp?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

EDIT: I almost forgot- what's your amp?

A 15 watt Fender Frontman and a 30 watt Line 6 Spider III (wish I could have my money back, line 6 sucks ass). I use the fender for distortion, seeing as the spider is so ****, I just use the clean channel and it's effects. Considering a new amp at a later date, maybe a Marshall TSL60?

The place where my band plays has these huge Peaveys already set up so I have no need for my own decent amp at the moment.
i'm not a major fan of the marshall tsls... they're not terrible, but they're not amazing either. i'd prefer a jvm, or even dsl, if you want to go along the marshall route, but you would have a lot of options. if you do decide you're willing to get a new amp, just make a new thread about it.

if you have decent amps in your practice space, there's no rush, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You could get a really good Fender Telecaster for 400, some kind of mexican deluxe, i dont know why nobody ever suggests them they sound lovely and they're really versatile

oh and DSL > TSL
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Last edited by xander307 at Aug 6, 2008,
machinehead in hitchin hve the washburn idols for 199 now it gives you abit of money to modd and the idol series is amazing they are nice i would suggest that way or an epiphone prophecy the one with stock emgs in them i have played the les paul and sg and i loved both
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
I'd also go with one of the wasburn x50 pro's. I have the fe and love it.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Quote by Dave_Mc
or, if machinehead still have them, maybe the wi65pro (for £239).

just as an update to this, they no longer seem to have any wi65pros.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Check out some RR5 and get a used one. They have RR3s with fixed bridges but I'm not sure if they're any good. If you don't like the V try out a DK2T.
So I'm back and I got something completely different! They had no Washburn X50 PRO FE, so I asked for a similar guitar of similar price and specs. He first showed me a Dave Mustain signature, I liked it alot, but the neck was really thick and the shape of the guitar was ****ty. I tried some others and was shown the ESP LTD MH-250NT and after feeling it and playing it, I knew it was the guitar, perfect body and neck and that sexy ESP headstock, and a ****ing beautiful finish.

I'm charging my camera to take a picture, should I post in this thread or a new one?