Hi - I'm wondering if there are any good ones out there. I've seen holy stain and boss fdr-1 so far, and I've heard the distortion on both aren't very good.
I guess bluesy kind of jazzy sort of stuff. I like playing with high gain when I get bored sometimes though.
Go to the Boss website, they have demos and stuff on there of their pedals.
Quote by tantamo
Hi - I'm wondering if there are any good ones out there. I've seen holy stain and boss fdr-1 so far, and I've heard the distortion on both aren't very good.
I have the Holy Stain and I can say that the fuzz and overdrive sounds are OK but not great. The downside for me is the lack of a drive or fuzz level control. It's a set amount and, with my setup, they don't sound very different. The reverbs are very nice, however, and that's mainly why I bought it. For me, it was a way to get good reverbs and have a few other sounds to play with for less $ than a Holy Grail.

Since I have the DS-1, I use the Stain's fuzz or overdrive when I'm bored with my usual distortion.

Quote by Eternium
Go to the Boss website, they have demos and stuff on there of their pedals.
I've been there and they don't have a lot of pedals to virtually demo. Certainly none of the multi-units when I was there last.
Last edited by carpepax at Aug 5, 2008,
what kinda amp do you have, if you got a tube amp you might want to look into some overdrives instead of distortions
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
They have the most popular ones, DS-1, Blues Driver, Metal Zone, and I have the Mega Distortion.
But something that goes from jazzy to high gain would probably have to be a more expensive, multi-effect pedal, unless the Digitech Distortion Factory suits.
For a reverb pedal, Boss RV-5 ftw.
the reverb on the holy stain is very good. the drive channel is ok but the fuzz is weak at best. get a m-audio expression pedal for 30 bucks and the tremolo and pitch shift are pretty darn good. but it's a great reverb pedal for 30 bucks less than the holy grail.
I have yet to try it out but I was recently recommended an MI Audio Crunch Box. Like I said, I haven't tried one out yet but they are suppose to cover anything from a warm, bluesy overdrive sound all the way to high gain metal.

Dunno about reverb though - anytime I need reverb I just use my amp's built in reverb.