I'm looking to invest into a multi effect unit and i'm not sure what go go for. i'm willing to spend around $400, no more than $500. I orginally wanted to get the Boss GT-8 but now since the GT-10 has came out, i'm looking towards to get that unit. i don't do any gigs or live stuff. i basically do it as a hobby and i am a novice guitar player. I currently have a Schecter C1-FR and the Roland Cube 60, i like the amp, but i don't like the effects on it, i basically like the sounds of Tool, Metallica, Alice in Chains and Godsmack (especially there live stuff)...so is the boss gt-10 worth getting? cause i like the features it has or should i look for something else?
Last edited by deadmanwalkin00 at Aug 5, 2008,
I would recommend the new Digitech RP500or RP 5000 I can't remember which, but I have an older model of it and it is incredible
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
"good" and "multi-effects" don't usually go together in a sentence.

Yeah, that's usually the case, as the company will pack a lot of decent effects into a multi-unit but save the greater versions of each effect for the individual units.
Quote by PollyWntsCrack

You have so much to learn.

TC Electronics G-Force.
Damage Control Glass Nexsus.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
"Usually" is usually the user has no idea what they are doing and wondering why they don't sound right.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
"Usually" is usually the user has no idea what they are doing and wondering why they don't sound right.

I do know how to set up multis, and there are maybe 5 or six I've used that I didn't completely hate.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Just about everytime i go into a GC and somebody is messing with a POD they are having a hard time. I'm also finding the sales guys are about zero help. I make a few adjustments and "Oh that does sound better". These things are a bit complicated and it took me over a month to really start getting decent stuff out of it. It's well worth the learning curve. Most of the people who arbitrarily dismiss a multi are probably the ones who didn't take the time to look beyond plug and play.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
It depends what your after. The Zoom g2.1u is not a bad multi fx.

I use the different effects such as delay/chorus/flanger/phaser through my FX loop and use the modelling to record. I probably would not use the in a gig situation.
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
There not bad for someone who is not going to be recording breakthrough amazing material.

I have a gt-8 and it lets me experiment with everything I need. My amp is a piece of crap tho . When you find out what you really need you can go get the proper things. I can play guitar very well, but dont wanna put too much into effects, yet.

Dont buy a multi if you plan on being serious and wont be able to buy things in the future. If you mucking around with a small garage band go for it.
the gt10 is a really good multi effects pedal.. the sound that comes out of that thing is brilliant! it's presets are equally good to some other analogs i tried, and you can tweak them to get the right sound for yourself. But if you're a novice, you shouldn't really worry abt the quality between digital and analog. the gt10 gives the most bang for your buck
1997 Ibanez RG7620
Modded Starcaster by Fender

Boss GT10
Dunlop Mister Crybaby Wah

Line 6 Spider III 30
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
My guitar teacher uses a Boss GT-10 and blends it with a GPS-1101 in the FX loop. He gigs with it running through a PA and sounds great live. The key to sounding good is knowing how to play. However, I will say that he knows how to program his equipment and has every sound you need to a wide variety of covers at his fingertips. Or I should say toe tips.