Page 1 of 2
I look on every 'top guitar players' lists. Hendrix is #1 on all of them.

Hendrix is amazing, no doubt. I respect him and all he has done for guitar players and musicians everywhere, but #1? I don't know about that. I understand electric guitar was newer during his time, and that he played some amazing songs, but I don't feel as if he was the best. Buckethead blows me away, Joe Satriani? Simply amazing. Santana, though not as difficult to play, is candy for my ears.

Does anyone else feel the way that I do? That Hendrix was great, but maybe not the greatest? That maybe that title should go to somebody else?
Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squire (Frankenstein)
Some sucky Crate amp.

Oh, and, I'm very specific about my picks. 0.7 mm.
He's dead and people like to give dead people credit so they seem intelligent. NEVER TAKE ANYTHING IN A ROLLING STONE ARTICLE SERIOUSLY! Other than that, I think Hendrix is great but there is no best... maybe buckethead.
Just remember, at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box
Quote by roosoh13
He's dead and people like to give dead people credit so they seem intelligent. NEVER TAKE ANYTHING IN A ROLLING STONE ARTICLE SERIOUSLY! Other than that, I think Hendrix is great but there is no best... maybe buckethead.

Haha, that was my first look. Then, upon seeing him as the best, I had to look at other people's lists. That was the only unchanging factor. EVERYONE had him as #1.
Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Some sucky Crate amp.

Quote by roosoh13

buckethead? try real guitarists shawn lane, john mcglaughlin, paco de lucia, paul gilbert, marty friedman, the list goes on and on and on. but buckethead first? nooo and yea hendrix is great (hence my name) but i know hes not the best.
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
hendrix might not be the best technique wise, but he is no doubt the most influential guitar player ever. that's why he's always #1.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
1. Subjectivity is subjective
2. He really was that damn good.

+1
Quote by jjennings216

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
Quote by DayTripper1967
hendrix might not be the best technique wise, but he is no doubt the most influential guitar player ever. that's why he's always #1.

+1
Quote by jjennings216

Quote by sadistic_monkey
i'm sick and tired of the who's the best guitarist crap. everyone is gonna have a different opinion there is no true number 1.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Quote by DayTripper1967

Exactly what he said.
Hendrix was really that good, was into blues, rock and all that good stuff and revolutionized it.
Quote by hendrix_128
buckethead? try real guitarists shawn lane, john mcglaughlin, paco de lucia, paul gilbert, marty friedman, the list goes on and on and on. but buckethead first? nooo and yea hendrix is great (hence my name) but i know hes not the best.

All of the people you listed (yes, even Buckethead!!) Are "Real Guitarists". You don't have to be a virtuoso shredder to be a guitarist. Don't be dense.
Quote by DayTripper1967

Well said. Though this is a big factor, along with his incredible renown, there comes the fact that I can, both easily and keeping the 'hendrix feel', play many of his songs...and I'm 16!
Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Some sucky Crate amp.

well in my opinion the "best guitarist" is a guitarist that can't be copied by anyone because so many songs that guitarists make can be copied which means how can he be the best?look at badass guitarists like van halen and dimebag and rhoads(and how many people have done voodoo chile?more then i can count)they're songs are played by people all the time..so currently i don't think there is a best guitarist
Well, I guess that's it. I just needed to express myself with people who actually understand guitar. Make sure I wasn't crazy and/or musically retarded. My stubborn parents believe that Hendrix had more skill than anyone, by far, and cannot be matched.

Thank you all for your input, experience, and opinions.
Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Some sucky Crate amp.

"Best" is an opinion. Arguing it (especially for the 3 millionth time) isn't going to do anything. Listen to what you want to listen to.
Hey, I'm Mike.
I'm going to be honest...

I really really hate all this "opinion" crap. It's a lazy argumentative cop out, especially with regards to evaluating musicianship.

Hendrix wasn't the best, and I have no idea why anyone could possibly think that he is.
Quote by Maet

I really really hate all this "opinion" crap. It's a lazy argumentative cop out, especially with regards to evaluating musicianship.

Hendrix wasn't the best, and I have no idea why anyone could possibly think that he is.

Agreed. Musicianship (i.e. playing ability) is not subjective in the least. Hendrix was average at best... and that's on his studio material. On the live cuts he is even worse, especially on his cover songs.
He was definitely the most innovative guitarist ever. He could do things on the guitar nobody had ever done before. He took guitar to a completely new level. Creating your own style and being a unique player is much harder and more impressive than having amazing technique.
Quote by master
He was definitely the most innovative guitarist ever. He could do things on the guitar nobody had ever done before. He took guitar to a completely new level. Creating your own style and being a unique player is much harder and more impressive than having amazing technique.

yeah dude +100

i hate when people think speed wins. it doesnt. all those guitarists in the 80s are nothing compared to the 60s and 70s. thats real music. hendrix DID take guitar playing to a whole new level. and he DID create his own style that sooo many people branched off of afteer. put it this way, NO ONE played like hendrix. ever. he started and he blowed everone off. yees, the beatles too.

hes no doubt the greatest guiatrist to ever walk this earth. and if you dontthink so, please dont say some 80s fag, say like jimmy page or mark farner or john frusciante. (thats my top 4)
I'm going to be honest.

You guys are idiots. Not because of your opinions, but because of how you form them. I'm gonna go ahead and agree that maybe Hendrix isn't the best guitar player ever. He most certainly isn't the most technically proficient ever (as if anyone ever gave fuck anyway) and he may not be the most groundbreaking either, but it's impossible to say. Why? Well, figure it out yourselves. There's a reason why guitar playing isn't a sport in the Olympic Games.

You guys are totally missing the point and concept of music. It's art. No one is supposed to be the best, and to be honest, I find it highly embarrassing that music enthusiasts always have the urge to appoint "The Best Evarrr", be casue that's not how it works. Someone comes up with something which someone else takes and makes his own. Someone picks that up and develops it further and further and further etc etc.

I've never heard of literature enthusiasts fighting over whether Shakespeare was better than Homeros or if Emily Dickinson was better than James Joyce. I've never heard of art enthusiasts discussing whether Picasso was more talented than Leonardo Da Vinci (or vice versa) and so on. Why? Because it's fucking irrelevant. Different people grew up in different enviroments and eras and had different prerequisites and therefore created and developed different styles. Every artist's creation is just as much the sum of his impressions and influences as it is the sum of his ideas, and how you could possibly rate someone's influences and impressions is beyond me.
Last edited by European Son at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by hendrix_128

do you realise that Buckethead's signature sound was developed to play something that shawn lane himself couldn't play?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
man no way hendrix rocked..... man i've never heard of any other guiatist who can play a teeth solo.... hendrix can or can't not be consider the best on which way u look at it .... a lot of ppl think he is tho .... h e was an amazing guitarist and i'm sure there is some one who's better but no one could play likke him.... sort of like how jimmy page isn't really a guitar god he's more or less a rythmic god
Quote by ACDC+zepplinrul
man no way hendrix rocked..... man i've never heard of any other guiatist who can play a teeth solo....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7z9gVGw_cU

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQTYH3kThU8&NR=1

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by European Son
I'm going to be honest.

You guys are idiots. Not because of your opinions, but because of how you form them. I'm gonna go ahead and agree that maybe Hendrix isn't the best guitar player ever. He most certainly isn't the most technically proficient ever (as if anyone ever gave fuck anyway) and he may not be the most groundbreaking either, but it's impossible to say. Why? Well, figure it out yourselves. There's a reason why guitar playing isn't a sport in the Olympic Games.

You guys are totally missing the point and concept of music. It's art. No one is supposed to be the best, and to be honest, I find it highly embarrassing that music enthusiasts always have the urge to appoint "The Best Evarrr", be casue that's not how it works. Someone comes up with something which someone else takes and makes his own. Someone picks that up and develops it further and further and further etc etc.

I've never heard of literature enthusiasts fighting over whether Shakespeare was better than Homeros or if Emily Dickinson was better than James Joyce. I've never heard of art enthusiasts discussing whether Picasso was more talented than Leonardo Da Vinci (or vice versa) and so on. Why? Because it's fucking irrelevant. Different people grew up in different enviroments and eras and had different prerequisites and therefore created and developed different styles. Every artist's creation is just as much the sum of his impressions and influences as it is the sum of his ideas, and how you could possibly rate someone's influences and impressions is beyond me.
Couldn't agree more.
thts actually quite a good point ... and ur right there really is not best but ther e is guitar gods and hendrix was defintly one of them same as so many others .... like picaso and leardo divinci like u said there painters and the were some of the besst .... hedrix rocked and as well as so many others
Quote by European Son
I'm going to be honest.

Couldn't disagree more.

If there wasn't some sort of drive or aspiration to do things better, then we would all still be playing with sticks in the mud. And maybe it's because you never speak to literature or art enthusiasts, but their debates are just as asinine and vicious as the ones that go on here. I have heard people debate Shakespeare's poetic prose compared to Joyce's broken punctuation use and sentence structure, and even if you haven't, those debates go on (for example).

Art is a more abstract "anything goes" arena, but in terms of music or literature, there is a quantifiable standard to evaluate. Your opinions only go so far. Skill is completely relevant. If it weren't, nothing would ever change.

Edit -- I will however thank you for elevating the standard of discussion here, if only for a little while.
Last edited by Maet at Aug 6, 2008,
i think tht there is a drive but tht drive isn't to be the best ... hendrix didn't pursue being the best he just wanted to make great music and shakes spear didn't want to bee the best he just mad e great poetry... it's not a matter of being the best ... they just want to do good at wat the do... jimi hendrix just wanted to make great music and we ares the ones tht debate who's the best not the great musicians ....... but yes there has to be some sort of drive but tht isn' always to be the best
Quote by scguitarking927
its all subjective no one ever will win

im actually very suprised rolling stones didn't put Paige as #1, i don't think paige should be number 1 but was shocked that they didn't put him there.

who's paige?

Quote by element4433
Quote by Maet
Couldn't disagree more.

If there wasn't some sort of drive or aspiration to do things better, then we would all still be playing with sticks in the mud. And maybe it's because you never speak to literature or art enthusiasts, but their debates are just as asinine and vicious as the ones that go on here. I have heard people debate Shakespeare's poetic prose compared to Joyce's broken punctuation use and sentence structure, and even if you haven't, those debates go on (for example).

Art is a more abstract "anything goes" arena, but in terms of music or literature, there is a quantifiable standard to evaluate. Your opinions only go so far. Skill is completely relevant. If it weren't, nothing would ever change.

Edit -- I will however thank you for elevating the standard of discussion here, if only for a little while.

Of course there has to be some sort of drive and will to do something better. I've never denied this and it wasn't what I was trying to point out at all. Skill is relevant, but not it's not scientifically measureable. Trying to decide whose art is superior to another's is completely irrelevant. I'm all for constructive discussion where people express who they prefer and concretely explain why, but this thread has (so far) only been a list of comments where one tries to convince the other of who is "the best ever", which, in my opinion, is irrelevant. Comparing Buckethead and Hendrix is inane.

As I previously said, art is just as much the sum of one's impressions and influences as it is the sum of one's skills or ideas. Hence, discussing who has the most skill or who is most technically proficient and only judging by this is like discussing only one half of what the music really is.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
who's paige?

Jimmy Page I guess
"I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.."

RIP Jimmy Sullivan<3
true there is reallly no way to say who is the best guitarist ...... becuz ur right u cant just see one side of music ... but most ppl have only seen ttht one side which is there side and thts where the perspective comes from ..... there not looking at this from the big picture . they look at it from the smalll picture and they don't understand where other ppls opinion comes from
jimmy page is not a guitar god as far as i'm concerned he is a rythmic god but so many other guitarist could smoke him he was just very creative and thought of things nobody else would like black dog ... he plays the chours' and verses in 5/4 time but when it comes to the solo he plays it in 4/4 time .... not a guitar god ... a rythmic god tht's why he wasn't # 1 on the rolling stones
Quote by European Son
Of course there has to be some sort of drive and will to do something better. I've never denied this and it wasn't what I was trying to point out at all. Skill is relevant, but not it's not scientifically measureable. Trying to decide whose art is superior to another's is completely irrelevant. I'm all for constructive discussion where people express who they prefer and concretely explain why, but this thread has (so far) only been a list of comments where one tries to convince the other of who is "the best ever", which, in my opinion, is irrelevant. Comparing Buckethead and Hendrix is inane.

As I previously said, art is just as much the sum of one's impressions and influences as it is the sum of one's skills or ideas. Hence, discussing who has the most skill or who is most technically proficient and only judging by this is like discussing only one half of what the music really is.

Skill is more quantifiable than emotion, which is why people automatically throw Hendrix and Clapton to the top. You can determine rhythmic precision and pulse, the strength of cadences, notes per second (etc.), but you can never measure sorrow or joy or anger in playing. All I'm saying is that how you measure a musician becomes muddied when you toss around subjective words like "heart" and "feeling". I'm not saying that the absence of presence of this affects their skill or competence, but it does tend to blur how you view them.

And yes, who is the best is purely elitist and irrelevant, and actually rather superficial (no disagreement there). But who is the most pleasant is not the discussion (and that is the impossible philosophical debate).
Last edited by Maet at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by Maet

Of course,that's just your opinion,right?
well, if you guys dont think hendrix is the best, tell me who? buckethead?
seriouisly??

when buckethead tried out for the chili peppers..they laughed at him and chose the better guitarist...john frusicante.

the point is, hendrix played like no one else. and to this day, no one did what hendrix did: hendrix was the most original guy out there. thats key, everything he did was his own ****, not anyone elses. nothin else to it.

oh and page, is a guitar god, not a rythmic god. if it wernt for page. holy ****, the music would would be so much different. put it this way, if it wernt for zeppelin, there wouldnt be punk! and back to page, so many great guitarists fell in love with page. they all wanted to be like him.

page and hendrix are gods. no doubt about it. top 2 ever. and if you dont think that, give me some names that you think are better...i said better, not faster dont give me evh or any speed king.
Page 1 of 2