Poll: Which Dean
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Dean
ML79
17 59%
Black Gold Z
12 41%
Voters: 29.
hey so i've always like these two Deans and was wondering which one would be of better quality for a shred guitar.

the ML79
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-ML79-Electric-Guitar-512932-i1169015.gc

or the Black gold Z
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Black-Gold-Z-Electric-Guitar-511867-i1172871.gc

And for the record before i would buy either of these im gonna get a bugera 333 XL 212 (Tube amp) so i will not be playing them through my spider

thanks
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
I've never played a full size Z, only the baby one, but I love my ML. Its basically a 79 with a dimebucker, but it plays great. The neck isn't really a shredder neck though, such as an Ibanez neck. But it still sounds and plays great.
The fact that Dean has guitars in that price range with those kind of specs is ridiculous, imo, especially since the build quality's subpar as well.

If you're looking for an X-plorer shape with a mahogany body and a fixed bridge, you'd be WAY better of with the new fixed- bridge Ibanez Xiphos. The pickups, unlike the Dean's, aren't garbage. Plus, it's neck- thru, with a much slimmer neck profile.

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=XPT700FX
Deans are for people with huge hands, like Dimebag and Jerry Cantrell IMO. Only get one if you have big hands.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I voted for the ML, but i think i take it back. i've only played on a Black Gold V, but the Black Gold series has superior pickups and outstanding tone. I like the ML body style better, but I think the Z would be the better guitar.

Quote by Snake™
Deans are for people with huge hands, like Dimebag and Jerry Cantrell IMO. Only get one if you have big hands.

First time I've ever heard that I've got 4 Deans and i have small hands
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Aug 6, 2008,
Deans build quality is amazing, people like 'hrdcorelaxplaya' who always knock deans quality are just either esp/ibanez/jackson fanboys. Dean quality is amazing ive played many and am now looking for a dean from hell, I voted for the ML but ive played the Z. Both are great guitars, Dean necks is in my opinion the most evoloved neck on the market. I just love them.
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
I voted the Z because it looks nicer than the ML. That's the only reason, the specs are pretty much the same.

Quote by bazzabalboa
Deans build quality is amazing, people like 'hrdcorelaxplaya' who always knock deans quality are just either esp/ibanez/jackson fanboys. Dean quality is amazing ive played many and am now looking for a dean from hell, I voted for the ML but ive played the Z. Both are great guitars, Dean necks is in my opinion the most evoloved neck on the market. I just love them.

You must not have played the low-end ones then. I played a Dean Cadillac and a Razorback about the same price and they were awful.
i voted for the Z. i personally dont like MLs.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by Tom_hatton

You must not have played the low-end ones then. I played a Dean Cadillac and a Razorback about the same price and they were awful.

You bet he has played the low end ones. But he is the kind of guy that says that the epi LP special II beats the LP custom. (Read the epiphone LP special II topic, and his blog ;-) )

Sooo, not really a healthy sane person.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Question, if i were to change the pups on dean Z then do think it would hold up to like a Gibson explorer? also with the ML 79 if i were to put in a dimebucker (which position) then would it basically be a standared ML?

thanks for all responses guys
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
Question, if i were to change the pups on dean Z then do think it would hold up to like a Gibson explorer?

It depends what pickups you want to put in. I think most Gibson explorers are made of mahogany (correct me if I'm wrong), so tone-wise it may get pretty close. But I think if you want a Gibson-sounding guitar, get a Gibson.

also with the ML 79 if i were to put in a dimebucker (which position) then would it basically be a standared ML?

Again correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Dimebuckers go in the bridge most of the time. And it depends on wood type and stuff again... I don't know what standard MLs are made from, I assume its mahogany, so yeah you might get pretty close to that tone.

But it wouldn't make it a standard ML or anything, I imagine those are better buld quality etc.
Played them both, and they were both pretty good. Didn't play them all that long, but I liked the Z a lot better.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Tom_hatton
It depends what pickups you want to put in. I think most Gibson explorers are made of mahogany (correct me if I'm wrong), so tone-wise it may get pretty close. But I think if you want a Gibson-sounding guitar, get a Gibson.

Well im pretty dead set on the Z and i'll probably but like SD or dizmario pups or somin in it but i would like for more thoughts so keep the suggestions commin
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
If it sounds like the V you may not want to change anything. If it hadn't been for the V shaped body I'd own that thing right now. One of the best guitars i've heard in a long time. Tried it through several amps and it sounded good in all of them.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by higgins666
ill get the obvious "br00talz" answer of emg 81 & 85s. or you could try bareknuckles or swineshead pickups.

i've heard a lot about the bareknuckles what do they sound like? who's used them?

EDIT: what Company makes the bareknuckles cant find them at the GC website
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Last edited by sandman-105 at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by sandman-105
i've heard a lot about the bareknuckles what do they sound like? who's used them?

Bareknuckles are an independent company.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by sandman-105

I believe the only place you can get them in the US is here:

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/cats/PUE.htm

And since they're made in the UK, they're a pretty lousy deal.
Chris Broderick of Megadeth use BKPs... and I voted for the Z, it looks classier imo.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
LP_CL again, u need to f*ck up. I didnt say its a better guitar, i said its a better lead guitar. Ur a fagot in these forms, ur probably a fat 40 year old virgin. and yer jackson looks sh*it as f*uk.
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by bazzabalboa
LP_CL again, u need to f*ck up. I didnt say its a better guitar, i said its a better lead guitar. Ur a fagot in these forms, ur probably a fat 40 year old virgin. and yer jackson looks sh*it as f*uk.

If there's a such thing as a wrong opinion, that's definitely one.

Oh, and *reported*.
Quote by bazzabalboa

you spelld fu*k wrong.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I've got both the 79 (white V) and the anniversay ML, and I prefer the 79, and in fact it's one of my favorites to play. Love the feel, the weight, the neck, everything about it. The pickups aren't terrible and I've considered changing them to a JB/59 or something but I really don't need to. I love the 79's so for myself I'd go for that in a braziliaburst or plain white.

P.S. Deans aren't meant for large handed people as someone else said. They have the "standard" 1-11/16" width nut.