I'm sure many of you have encountered this prob. either with your guitar or friends
you buy new set of strings for your classical
string it up correctly both at the bridge and at the tuners.......
but when you tune it to standard tunning that damm High E will not stay in tune
even after days of strings having settled in

of course if you tune it in Standard Eb then it stays in tune perfectly

usually string not staying in tune is due to the fact that it is not strung correctly
i have strung the high E numerous ways, it doesn't "snap back"
it just wont stay in tune

it could also be that the guitar itself is warped (friend's guitar, i know he always keeps it in the trunk of his car without a case)

he recently switched the tunning machine pegs with 12$ replacement
could this be the main prob? i know good ones cost like 40$

it seems to me the peg for the high E simply isn't strong enough to hold the tension for standard

any help is appreciated
i have a thirty year old spanish classical,it never EVER gets out of tune.. hell i can't even tune it down cause if i do it'll be hard to put it back to normal cause the tuners are so freaken hard as hell/
Nylon strings take TIME(lots of it) to stetch naturally and then they will stay in tune. Nylon stringed guitars can even take up to a week or two to settle in all the way.

The important part of letting strings settle is that you play them. Keep playing them for another week or two and then see if it stays in tune then.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
What brand of strings are you buying? A lot of nylon stings are just junk [little more than fishing line]. Do yourself a favor and go out and buy a set of French Alvarez. All nylon string take a while to settle in, especially high E and B.
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 6, 2008,
well its been like 2 1/2 weeks since the strings were put on so i don't think it's settling time
I will try purchasing a fresh set of strings and report back
They're either slipping at the tuning post or you haven't let them stretch and settle properly.

Change the strings if you must but I'd had left those on for a while.
its just the High E
no it's not slipping and its had a little more than 2 1/2 weeks settling time
you're saying nylon strings need more than that?
it's certainly possible. how much do you play it?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
2 and a 1/2 weeks should be enough if you have been playing and tuning up to pitch regularly. Is the E going out of tune while you play it or has it just gone out of tune by the next time you play? There is only so much stretch in any string , even a real cheapy, before it will break. It can't stretch forever.

Are you sure your E winder hasn't got a bit of unwinding creep in it [the winder itself, not the wound on sting]? It happens sometimes.
Akabik
im leaning towards the high E tuner peg having an unwinding creep on it
my friend replaced the old tuning pegs/machine on both sides with a 12$ brand

i mean c'mon what do you expect for 12$ from one of the most important parts of a guitar

it looks sturdy enough, but still
It's got to be unwinding creep for sure. There is only so much stretch in a string. Get a new winder.
My nylons string guitar, a Breedlove AN250CR would not stay in tune.

I tightened the tuners with a screwdriver, and now it stays in tune.
thanks for the tip flip
this classical doesnt have a screw on the tip of the peg
there is a screw on the turning gear itself, however, it is as tight as it's gonna get