I've read all the MG hate on the forum, so my question is are these any better? The Peavey Valve Kings are a bit too expensive for me and I hate Line6s, so these seemed like a good amp and since they're Marshall and not MGs I assumed they should be OK.
better than MGs by far but not great, single preamp tube warms the sound up a bit, but still a victim of fizzy tone, and brittle sound when turned up.
They're OK. Quite a bit better than the MG but not anywhere near as good as an all valve/tube amp.
EDIT:
Quote by al112987
better than MGs by far but not great, single preamp tube warms the sound up a bit, but still a victim of fizzy tone, and brittle sound when turned up.

This just about sums up what I was going to say. I have an older Valvestate (I'm pretty sure they were all hybrids) and it is fizzy. I do like the cleans though, and it does clip when turned up.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have two different friends who owned AVT150 heads and they both constantly complained about how horrible they sound. Everyone has their own opinions and tonal desires, and while I have no personal experience with this particular amp, I haven't heard many good things about it!
Quote by al112987
what's your budget, styles, and what do you currently own?

Budget: About $550 US, although I can probably stretch $50 either way.

Styles: Grunge, hardcore, psychedelic, some metal.

Currently Own: I'm upgrading my guitar also to a Schecter Omen FR Extreme or a Tempest Extreme. I also have a Boss PW-10 wah and a Digitech Grunge distortion pedal.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I live in New Zealand, and over here a Valve King 112 is $1100. My budget doesn't go past $800. I know we get ripped off.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
OK does anyone have an opinion on the Fender FM 212R? I know Fenders aren't known for their distortion, but I have a distortion pedal to counter that. Are they better than the AVT?
Quote by Cathbard
I've played played on some of the smaller Fender FM's and they weren't exactly spectacular.
You could potentially look for a second hand ValveKing or consider getting a small tube amp. Such as an Ibanez Valbee, Blackheart Little Giant or Epiphone Valve Junior. The final option really is to go for a type of modelling amp like a line 6 Flexitone or Roland Cube. Hope this was helpful.
Quote by shadow__666
OK does anyone have an opinion on the Fender FM 212R? I know Fenders aren't known for their distortion, but I have a distortion pedal to counter that. Are they better than the AVT?

They suck balls, to be blunt.
I like my AVT50 combo, but the stock speaker was muddy as hell. I was lucky enough to have a spare speaker to swap with it that sounded much tighter, and less fizzy/buzzy/muddy. But, it sucks if you have to spend money to fix that. -.-
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i'd get a roland cube 30 or 60 for what you want, at your budget. the avt's not great at all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
with the avt they sound good at mid volume and alright at lower volumes
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Major bump, I know but it saves my making a new topic and getting flamed for not using the search bar.

For what it is, how would AVT50 head and a small cab sound?
what do you mean, "for what it is"? it really depends what else there is for a similar budget.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
l love my AVT half stack. Upgraded from an MG combo. One thing I never use though is the acoustic simulator, one because it isnt great, and two because I have an acoustic.
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
Quote by Metfan1991
l love my AVT half stack. Upgraded from an MG combo. One thing I never use though is the acoustic simulator, one because it isnt great, and two because I have an acoustic.

I have an AVT150 and I'm pretty happy with it as well.

I like it precisely because it has the SS power section and I think the external emulated speaker output is very nice. The recordings I've made with it have impressed my friends who have heard it. Granted, I like to use distortion in front of the clean, but I've used scooped mids on OD2 for a nice 80's metal sound in some recordings and OD1 for a more bluesy feel.

I find the acoustic simulator works best using the neck pickups and a single coil (I have a coil tap on my schecter). You can get much better tone that way...much more acoustic like though it won't fool anyone.

I just got a 2x12 extension to make the setup more portable. I plugged in both the 4x12 and the 2x12...an incredible difference in sound and power (yes I know it is 100 Watts into 8 and 150 Watts at 4 across two 8 cabs but didn't expect THAT level of difference in something with a SS power section).

I think a smaller wattage tube amp (maybe combo) in the similar price range is probably better for most people (I wanted a solid state with some more linear volume, good direct recording capabilities, looked cool on stage, and had some of the Marshall tone flavor).
My Favorite T-Shirt Saying: "Warning: Drummer Playing Guitar"

My Music: Abandon At My Place -- One man heavy observational rock band...

My Fav Gear:
Egnater Tourmaster 4100, Schecter Hellraiser, MXR EQ, Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss DD-7