Ok so when I learned how to sweep a few months ago, I only learned how to do it on 3 and 4 strings. and I only learned how to do it so my pinky is on the lowest string but its the highest on the fretboard, and my other fingers go down by one on the fret board until the high e string sort of like this

(sorry for crappy tablature lol)

|----------------------------9--9---------------------------
|------------------10----------------10--------------------
|-----------11--------------------------------11------------
|-12---------------------------------------------------12---
|----------------------------------------------------

and thats pretty much the only way ive been able to do it. maybe some like

|---------------------------10---------------------------
|----------------------------------10--------------------
|-------------------------------------------11------------
|----------------------------------------------------12---

but they always have to stay in that one row.

Ok so now for my main problem, I cant really incorporate the fifth or six string into that and still make it sound good.

Mainly because both of the strings ring out or I can barely hear them, all I can hear is the last four strings that im used to sweeping on.

So whats my problem? no matter how hard I try I just cant get the last two strings to work with anything I do

what are some good exercises that will help me get used to playing with all six strings?

another problem is I cant do the arpeggio thing (or atleast thats what I think they're called)

like when you do this (usually hammer on and pull offs on the high E)

|------------------------------------------------8h------10 p ------8----------------------------------
|----------------------------------------9-------------------------------------9----------------------
|-------------------------------10----------------------------------------------------10--------------------
|-----------------------10--------------------------------------------------------------------10------
|---------------11-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------11
|------12---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------12

I just cant get my fingers to do those hammer on and pulls offs? am I doing something wrong or is that just one of those things that take alot of practice?

thanks a TON in advance!

~GxT
it takes a very very long time to learn. i still suck at it but its slow progress. atleast for me it is. focus on trying to get each note to ring loud and clear. no bleeding. just one note at a time. slow too and gradually get used to it and speed up.
I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow world.

Ibanez RG2 EX1 (Black)
Line 6 Spider II 75w
Sekova Mandolin
Team Custom Traditional 4 string bass
Yamaha E403 keyboard
My Last.fm
Myspace

|------------------------------------------------8h------10 p ------8----------------------------------
|----------------------------------------9-------------------------------------9----------------------
|-------------------------------10----------------------------------------------------10--------------------
|-----------------------10--------------------------------------------------------------------10------
|---------------11-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------11
|------12---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------12

Does anyone else play that sweep (the up part / down part) with these fingers...

4 3 2 2 1 1
Last edited by rickster470 at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by rickster470
Does anyone else play that sweep (the up part / down part) with these fingers...

4 3 2 2 1 1

I do it like:

|-----------------------------------------8h--10 p------8----------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------9---------------------------------9----------------------|
|----------------------------10--------------------------------------------10---------------|
|--------------------10-----------------------------------------------------------10--------|
|-------7--11------------------------------------------------------------------------11--7-|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

1 4 3 3 2 1 3 1 2 3 3 4 1 fingering.
Quote by JubeiTHPS
I do it like:

|-----------------------------------------8h--10 p------8----------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------9---------------------------------9----------------------|
|----------------------------10--------------------------------------------10---------------|
|--------------------10-----------------------------------------------------------10--------|
|-------7--11------------------------------------------------------------------------11--7-|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

that

anyways where did you get that chord from? it's not an arpeggio i see or hear being played very often.
You need to learn some of the more basic 3-string shapes; they lay a foundation for musical use of sweeping better than that 4 string exercise generally does.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by JubeiTHPS
I do it like:

oh stupid of me

I realized it was a sweep that I already know very well, just different fingering.
Quote by GuitaristTrue
could you possibly link me to a place that has the tabs for some more three string shapes?

Actually I take back what I said: you need to learn theory so you can make your own sweeps. Go to the lessons section of this site and start looking/reading.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by slayerfrk
ug is gay and people think they know everything here when they dont, most ug users dont know **** about theory so **** them, when some1 asks for help here all they ****ing say is learn theory well **** all of you ug fags

And you have to know you're going to get reported for this, assclown.

*reported*
well I already write a lot of my own music, I sort of know what theory is I guess (after reading a little bit about it).

My problem isnt what type of sweeps to do, its actually what sweeps will help me get better at six string and five string sweeps, and arpeggios.

I have really small fingers so its hard to move them all around like that, I need some good exercises that will help me get better at doing them.

Especially the six and five string sweeps and the ones where you hammer on and pull off (usually on the high e string)

so what are some easy five or six string exercises? some arpeggios would be nice too =)
Quote by GuitaristTrue
well I already write a lot of my own music, I sort of know what theory is I guess (after reading a little bit about it).

My problem isnt what type of sweeps to do, its actually what sweeps will help me get better at six string and five string sweeps, and arpeggios.

I have really small fingers so its hard to move them all around like that, I need some good exercises that will help me get better at doing them.

Especially the six and five string sweeps and the ones where you hammer on and pull off (usually on the high e string)

so what are some easy five or six string exercises? some arpeggios would be nice too =)

1 - If you "know" theory and can't construct arpeggios then you don't know enough theory or don't know it well enough; go and study arpeggio construction and the layout of the fretboard. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/arpeggios_guide_part_1_-_learn_your_arpeggios.html

2 - Small fingers don't mean anything; you're just blaming your body because you haven't practiced enough. See Rick Renstrom for proof.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
1 - If you "know" theory and can't construct arpeggios then you don't know enough theory or don't know it well enough; go and study arpeggio construction and the layout of the fretboard. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/arpeggios_guide_part_1_-_learn_your_arpeggios.html

2 - Small fingers don't mean anything; you're just blaming your body because you haven't practiced enough. See Rick Renstrom for proof.

1. I said I know a little bit about it not I know everything about it, just enough to know what it is, so **** off.

2.My fingers are even smaller than his, and im not blaming my body because I havnt practiced enough, Ive practiced ton on sweeping and I just cant get it right so thats why I came here to ask. So just stop being an asshole and saying **** that isnt true. douche.
Quote by GuitaristTrue
1. I said I know a little bit about it not I know everything about it, just enough to know what it is, so **** off.

2.My fingers are even smaller than his, and im not blaming my body because I havnt practiced enough, Ive practiced ton on sweeping and I just cant get it right so thats why I came here to ask. So just stop being an asshole and saying **** that isnt true. douche.

I'm trying to help you, if you learn theory and aren't given everything on a plate you will remember it much better; scientific studies have shown that people remember things much better if they find them out than if they are just told. Do yourself a favour and go and learn how to construct arpeggios.

You have not practiced enough or well enough; if you had practiced well and enough then you would have the technique down and we wouldn't be here. If he can learn to play to the standard he does with his disabilities then you can learn to play just as well at least with your, I'm assuming, fully able body.

There is no "I just can't get it right" there is only "I haven't practiced well".

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I appreciate you trying to help me but it just sounds like your making fun of me or just being obnoxious and jerkish

And im asking for some good easy five and six string exercises and some good arpeggios that will help me get better at it

one of my main questions also was why the E string rings out when I leave the string, even if I lift my finger up right after the note sounds it still rings out.
Quote by GuitaristTrue
I appreciate you trying to help me but it just sounds like your making fun of me or just being obnoxious and jerkish

And im asking for some good easy five and six string exercises and some good arpeggios that will help me get better at it

one of my main questions also was why the E string rings out when I leave the string, even if I lift my finger up right after the note sounds it still rings out.

1 - Read the damn arpeggio lesson I posted; it contains everything you need to construct your own arpeggios and therefore your own sweeps; the best exercises are ones that can be used in playing so go and read rather than just asking again.

2 - Learn proper muting technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc&feature=user

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by GuitaristTrue

He's not being a jerk, he's offering very good advice; you're just overly sensitive. Suck it up.
Quote by :-D
He's not being a jerk, he's offering very good advice; you're just overly sensitive. Suck it up.

nah he's just young.