ive been playing bass for about 3 or 4 months now, and i can only play a handful of songs in full, which are...

ac/dc- back in black
rage against the machine- bulls on parade
311- freeze time; leaving babylon; long for the flowers
slipknot- before i forget
dave matthews band- crush

there are also many songs that i can play only parts of... but i was wondering if this is the average amount for a person with my experience.
That's not bad mate, just keep expanding your repertoire and find people to play with. That's great incentive to learn more things the whole way through.
~ J6hn
It doesn't matter. It depends on what you're able to do. Not how many songs you learned on the way. You should be looking more at free online lessons than at tabs.
Expand out and play music from as many genres as you can get into. Try some easy end iron maiden as a starting point, or incubus in fact. Good luck
You gonna bark all day little doggie?
I've been playing about a year and a half, and i can't play many songs, but I get bored playing other peoples stuff, and just jam my own thing.
Though Portrait of Tracy is keeping me busy right now.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
those are just songs you have learned not songs you literally can or could play, challenge yourself, if you question how much you should be able to play then learn more songs and more difficult songs.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Mix learning songs with technique. If there's a technique you want to learn - which could be something as simple as a gallop, then work on songs that make use of that technique. Finding songs in a variety of genres - even if you don't like the genre - can help make you a more rounded player.
it doesn1t really matter that you dont know many songs all the way through.
if you want someting different, try writing a tune on your bass, or maybe just
keep going as yu are.
just make sure that you keep challenging yourself.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Q: How many songs should I be playing?
A: Hopefully enough to make it through tonights set !

"If you play what you feel and feel what you play you can never go wrong" unnamed groupie in Provo Utah circa 1986..........
80s BC Rich Warlocks,Ironbird,Bich with EMGs
80s Squire P with Mirror Pickguard and a Kahler Tremelo!
80s Magenta(Hot Pink!) Ibanez RD707
80s Aria ZZB Zebra Explorer
80s Kramer Ferrington Acoustic
AMPEG 6pro
AMPEG 8x10,AMPEG 4x10 HLF