Some friends and i finally got a metal band together and i want to upgrade to a half stack. i was looking at buying a 5150 head from a friend, and was also looking at a line 6 spider valve, but it got utterly destroyed by everyone on this forum. but i'm open to any other suggestions for heads and cabs as well.

i have an esp with emg 60/81 and a rhoads with duncans. we havent settled on a specific tone yet for the guitars so versatility would be nice.

Price range would be somewhere around 1500-2000 for the whole stack. thanks guys, i appreciate the input.
What type of metal are you looking for, such as modern or more of an 80's metal?
sounds like a peavey 5150/6505 head with a decent cab is the right thing
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
the uhh slayers sig. half stack by marshall?
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
more of a modern style i'd say. some riffs so far are reminiscent of Bullet for My Valentine
Quote by RHCP987123
the uhh slayers sig. half stack by marshall?

Its basically just a JCM800 with a noise gate built in... nothing special about it.

EDIT:
Quote by dnkkoh
more of a modern style i'd say. some riffs so far are reminiscent of Bullet for My Valentine

Peavey 5150/6505 is the way to go. I would recommend a Randall Cyclone cab to go along with it.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by dnkkoh
What about cabs? i know celestions have a good sound

Most metal/core bands today are using high gain amps (i.e. 5150/6505s or similar amps) along with cabs loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s. I recommend something like a Randall Cyclone or Marshall 1960AV. A lot of people recommend Avatar cabs but I don't know anything about them - I suppose they are worth checking out though!
k thanks metalhead, i suppose its time i get out and try some of these things out
TS, take a look at a used Mesa Dual Rectifier. it will be more power than you will EVER need. It can go for $1800 new, but maybe $1300-1400 used, or less.Then just pair it with a mesa cab, with vintage 30s which would cost you a couple hundred, not sure exactly.

You will have a metal monster.

Actually, the above post reminded me of genz benz. They will be as good if not better than the MESA's, they're extremely well made and have alot of tone for metal.

Look into a Genz Benz 100 head, or ideally, the 2x12 combo they're selling. It's normally $1600 at MusiciansFriend but I believe it is around $1100 right now, on sale.

Last edited by injected at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Its basically just a JCM800 with a noise gate built in... nothing special about it.

Not true, the power tubes are KT88's which add beefiness, and it also has that EQ curve that you can play around with, which I think would be a bit cool.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
Not true, the power tubes are KT88's which add beefiness, and it also has that EQ curve that you can play around with, which I think would be a bit cool.

A friend of mine just got one... It pretty much sounds like a JCM800 and the EQ curve (which is suppose to emulate his settings that he used on his MXR 10-band EQ pedal) really doesn't do that much.
i really like the 6505. you think it would be worth the extra 150 bucks to get the 6505+?
with 2000 you can do better than a 6505/5150, sooo much better.
Look used, I've seen VHT's and Engl's go for around that price.

Look used on cabs too, I'd recommend going with a 2x12 rather than a 4x12, you'll get sick of lugging a 4x12 around.

I say check out some Engls and some VHT's at that price range.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
with 2000 you can do better than a 6505/5150, sooo much better.
Look used, I've seen VHT's and Engl's go for around that price.

Look used on cabs too, I'd recommend going with a 2x12 rather than a 4x12, you'll get sick of lugging a 4x12 around.

I say check out some Engls and some VHT's at that price range.

VHT's are great but the heads alone are around $2000. Dunno about Engls though - heard great stuff about them but have never got to try one.

Try out some 2x12s if you get the opportunity. Personally I like the beefier tone you get from a 4x12.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
VHT's are great but the heads alone are around $2000. Dunno about Engls though - heard great stuff about them but have never got to try one.

Try out some 2x12s if you get the opportunity. Personally I like the beefier tone you get from a 4x12.

I love Engl's, I only tried two of their combo's (don't remember which) and they rock.
The 5150/6505 has balls man. I love mine. And also don't let ppl tell you that you don't need a half stack, if you want one, get one. I'm about to get a 4x12, heck maybe 2 and go for the full stack. Do I necessarily need for shows, no but I like the full sound of a half/full stack better than a combo.
Quote by zhunt1130
The 5150/6505 has balls man. I love mine. And also don't let ppl tell you that you don't need a half stack, if you want one, get one. I'm about to get a 4x12, heck maybe 2 and go for the full stack. Do I necessarily need for shows, no but I like the full sound of a half/full stack better than a combo.

+1

Someone with some sense around here.

I hate it when someone wants a cab or two and everyone jumps on them with the "You don't NEED that. Get a combo!" deal. I personally run my head through two 4x12 cabs - I like the fuller, beefier tone that you get... just doesn't sound the same through a little combo.

Like zhunt said - get what you want and if it happens to be a half stack then so be it!
Where do you guys live that you can actually play full stacks at regular volumes? O_O
Quote by injected
Where do you guys live that you can actually play full stacks at regular volumes? O_O

My bedroom? Maybe you didn't know this but more speakers =/= more volume. It just changes the tonal properties of the amp.

Also around here if you play a gig its in a room big enough to hold 600+ people and there is nothing to mic amps with so you have to have an amp that you can crank up with out the speakers going to **** on you.
I played a gig in front of 1100 high schoolers and my friends mesa f-50(112 combo) held up great.

Personally, I've never tried a full stack, so I don't know the difference. More power to you though.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
My bedroom? Maybe you didn't know this but more speakers =/= more volume. It just changes the tonal properties of the amp.

Also around here if you play a gig its in a room big enough to hold 600+ people and there is nothing to mic amps with so you have to have an amp that you can crank up with out the speakers going to **** on you.

Yea same way around here, but with a sound tech...when my band starts playing we'll be opening up for big bands, not basements with 10 ppl. That's just how booking works in my area. Pluss my band has 2 full kit drummers so I need to move all the air I can to be able to hear myself properly.
Quote by injected
I played a gig in front of 1100 high schoolers and my friends mesa f-50(112 combo) held up great.

Personally, I've never tried a full stack, so I don't know the difference. More power to you though.

Well I fortunately live in an area were I don't have neighbors close by - so I can crank my amp up without worrying about getting complaints. And like I said, I like the tone that you get from multiple speakers as opposed to one or two.

Plus nothing beats the feeling of standing in front of an 8x12 stack with a cranked tube amp on top... and yes, I will probably be deaf in a few years lol.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Well I fortunately live in an area were I don't have neighbors close by - so I can crank my amp up without worrying about getting complaints. And like I said, I like the tone that you get from multiple speakers as opposed to one or two.

Plus nothing beats the feeling of standing in front of an 8x12 stack with a cranked tube amp on top... and yes, I will probably be deaf in a few years lol.

God I hate that ringing I get in my ears after practice.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

Haha, I wish I lived in a neighbor-free area. I don't think my neighbors would mind during the day, but still. It'd be nice to live on a ranch or something and play as loud as you want
pissing off the neighbors is half the fun haha. for the first few times anyway
Quote by zhunt1130
God I hate that ringing I get in my ears after practice.

Atleast you dont have perma-ring yet like i do Sure it was fun getting to this point but now as I look back i would still do it over again and continue to do it ahhhhh hahahaha ROCK AND ROLL

And to the TS...

Peavey 5150/6505, Ultra, Triple and Jsx are all good options and a bit on the cheaper side which is great. And the Triple isnt really that loud, now a Mesa Recto that is a loud amp but another great choice if you gigging. The Peaveys are gonna be able to pull double duty, home/bedroom practice and gigging so thats something you might want to think about if you dont have a practice amp.

Other good amps are Krank's and Used Engls and many other used options out there as well..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by injected

Well the good thing about metal is most guys dont have to turn there amp past 3 to get a nice tone out of them. Now if I was playing classic rock my 3 amps and half stack in the closet more then likely wouldnt exist lol

And a side note, owning a house and sound proofing the window makes it a little easier to own a half stack...
Rivera Knucklehead Tre or a Peavey 5150 with a Vader 4x12 sounds about right.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.