I was digging around and came across this keyboard that my parents bought me a few years ago for Christmas. I completely forgot this thing even existed. So I dusted it off and cleaned it up and brought it up to my room. I learned a couple of song intros using Youtube for tutorials and crap. Now the thing is that i'm really getting interested in this piano stuff. Is it possible for me to learn this on my own like with guitar? Or is it NECESSARY to get an instructor?
Gear
Schecter C-1 Artist
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone EJ-200 Acoustic
On a theoric side, I'd say it's ok to teach yourself.

Normaly scales stays the same

Notes stays the same

The only thing you should maybe get an instructor is maybe for more physical stuff

But if you know alot about music theory go for it, teach yourself
Quote by InvaderTSN
Just buy Keyboard for Dummies or something to that effect.

Dude, why are you always posting just below Freeman?! Aren't you only supposed to let him see you at times where he can't get near you then you walk off?
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
piano is probably one of the easiest instruments to teach yourself, because of how it's layed out, dynamics and whatnot aren't really hard to grasp either although it takes a lot of practice.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I learned To Zanarkand from Final Fantasy X, and I don't know anything about piano. Just look up lessons for songs you want to learn on youtube.

Also, I recommend you check out To Zanarkand, it's a beautiful piece.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by InvaderTSN
It's the internet. He can't get to me.

Or can he? This is Gordan Freeman, remember.

You're just another brick in the wall
I learned by myself with the aid of people who have played before. Wait, I guess that was instruction, haha. I do better with a little advice and time to figure out stuff by myself than full on teaching. It makes for more personal, and interesting stuff.
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
Quote by En_zed
Or can he? This is Gordan Freeman, remember.

:says nothing, but stares pensively:
Quote by jasonbmerrill
utterly ridiculous.

Actually it was sound advice, unlike your post which hasn't really added anything. An instructor will help him with theory, which for some reason, guitarists like to ignore. I blame it on the blues. I say go to a teacher if you are serious about it. If you just want to dick around with it, than just play around on your own.
Quote by Fender_M1A
Actually it was sound advice, unlike your post which hasn't really added anything. An instructor will help him with theory, which for some reason, guitarists like to ignore. I blame it on the blues. I say go to a teacher if you are serious about it. If you just want to dick around with it, than just play around on your own.

he said :

You need to have an instructor.

and proceeded to state that it was the final advice needed in the thread.

which is bullocks.

actually, i added alot by being one of the voices in opposition to that ludicrous statement.

do i think someone should get an instructor? Could be, depends on the situation.

but you dont NEED it.

The argument you presented is a balanced one, but not related at all to the argument you are defending.