Poll: In which group do you belong?
Poll Options
View poll results: In which group do you belong?
I love shredding - I can't shred
8 27%
I love shredding - I can shred
13 43%
I hate shredding - I can't shred
7 23%
I hate shredding - I can shred
2 7%
Voters: 30.
So there are tons of battles raging all over UG when it comes to the matter of shredding vs. playing with feeling. I have an inkling that there are four kinds of people out there in this battle.

Id' like to know which 'faction' is the largest. Come on...be honest. You know you want to.
Guess what scale this song is in and I'll give you an eCookie.

Temporal
OR...you can be even better by having both. at the same time. of course it's possible.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Of course there's shred with feeling. It's called Buckethead, or Steve Vai, or Joe Satriani, or Yngwie Malmsteen, or MAB, or Jason Becker, or Guthrie Govan, or...

All music is created and played with emotion. Even if the player isn't making ridiculous faces they're feeling something when they play.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Of course there's shred with feeling. It's called Buckethead, or Steve Vai, or Joe Satriani, or Yngwie Malmsteen, or MAB, or Jason Becker, or Guthrie Govan, or...

All music is created and played with emotion. Even if the player isn't making ridiculous faces they're feeling something when they play.

its pretty subjective --

yngwie, emotional??? wow... thats a stretch (imo) --

but see, i follow this line of reasoning. There is indeed shred with feeling. Unfortunately, there is an ABUNDANCE of youtubers and young guitarists that like to show off endless sweep picking and runs without any substance musically.

But really that applies to all types of music and instruments, no?

ahh yes and from the other thread

-- ridiculous choices
Feeling is undefinable in music as everyone has a personal preference, what may invoke a "meaningful" feeling in one piece or song WILL be different to another person, some people are outright BORED by slow blues songs with epic bends and vibrato and such, but some people see melodic shred beautiful and emotional.

All personal preference.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Feeling is undefinable in music as everyone has a personal preference, what may invoke a "meaningful" feeling in one piece or song WILL be different to another person, some people are outright BORED by slow blues songs with epic bends and vibrato and such, but some people see melodic shred beautiful and emotional.

All personal preference.

its the cliches and the thought put into things. Blues has TONS of cliches in it, that people overuse, and have been MUCH longer than the cliche stuff in metal/shred.

i mean, how can you possibly forget the solo to "all along the watchtower" ??? jimi's version anyway. Listen to the dave matthews version with tim reynolds... ehhh....

its all in the memorability of the solo really.
Feeling. Shredding is fine and dandy and all for just the flair of it, but pretty much any music that that I would consider 'shred' just really doesn't appeal to me. On the other hand I do really like Buckethead. He makes memorable material and puts some shredding in it.
It's a useful tool. I can do it, but I generally stay away from it. Every now and then I throw in some wicked fast blues run, but other than that, it's not my thing.

Somewhat related: I consider the designation of 'shred' as a specific subgenre to be ridiculous.

EDIT for grammar.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by Flying Couch

Somewhat related: I consider the designation of 'shred' as a specific subgenre is ridiculous.

+`1
I hate when people believe there can't be shred with feeling. So I think this whole discussion is dumb.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
I hate when people believe there can't be shred with feeling. So I think this whole discussion is dumb.

I hate when nine year olds don't read threads properly then start bashing people for no reason at all. This is not a discussion over whether you prefer shred or feeling. It's a poll for whether you like shredding or not and whether you can shred or not.

Temporal
1. Shred isn't a genre, it's a way of playing guitar, and can be used in any genre.
2. Emotion is not measurable, therefore saying a peice of music has no emotion is as valid as saying a dish doesn't taste good. To you, it might not. To others, it will.
3. Speed does not cause emotion to diminish
4. Bends + Vibrato =/= Emotion
5. No vs threads.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
contrary to what my previous post in this would indicate, I also give +1 to Flying Couch. What if you put 'shredding' over the top of carnival music? That situtation would probably call for some weird sub name. Placing heavy (or not?) solo riffs on top of heavy (or not?) music doesn't deserve a sub name. If you are saying "What about Satch!? He makes solos into whole songs!"

Friend, let me direct you to the instrumental virtuosos section... in the back on the left, next to the 'raising your musically gifted youngsters' section
Quote by SG Man Forever
1. Shred isn't a genre, it's a way of playing guitar, and can be used in any genre.
2. Emotion is not measurable, therefore saying a peice of music has no emotion is as valid as saying a dish doesn't taste good. To you, it might not. To others, it will.
5. No vs threads.

1. I never called shredding a genre.
5. This isn't a vs thread, even though it is named that. It's about shredding and if you can. Like I told the previous guy. Read threads properly before trying to act all righteous

Temporal
Quote by Degorath
5. This isn't a vs thread, even though it is named that. It's about shredding and if you can. Like I told the previous guy. Read threads properly before trying to act all righteous

The first one is directed towards others. People often mistakenly call shred a genre, but it's not. I don't say "I can metal" or "I can blues," but I say "I can shred" because shredding is an verb used to denotate playing with great speed.

This is a versus thread. It's saying do "you prefer shred or emotion" albiet with a few more choices, but the intent is clearly there.

If I made a thread called Metallica vs Megadeth, and then the poll choices were

"I like Metallica better and can play their songs"
"I like Metallica better and can't play their songs"
"I like Megadeth better and can play their songs"
"I like Megadeth better and can't play their songs"

It would still be a versus thread.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Aug 6, 2008,
I'm okay at shredding, but I tend to do both. I can't stand it when their is not feeling or soul in the guitar playing. I'll take that over shredding any day. Guys like David Gilmour and Mikael Akerfeldt are true inspirations to me.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
I'm a bit of a generic shredder, I mean I can shred and I enjoy playing fast, but I lack originality. Thus why I'm a br00tal rhythm player

But I did find the perfect combination of shred and feeling and melody...my band's lead player. I've never heard a guy play that fast, with such extreme precision and sense of melody. He like a wizard or something, with fingers that find the exact lick/solo to complete a song. It's gotten to the point where the whole band is excited every practice just to see what he comes up with.

And...he has little or no ego

The perfect player much?
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Quote by SG Man Forever
5. No vs threads.

Smartest post!

I hate how people think that its impossible to play fast with feeling and passion.
Quote by athlete1
dude...double post. be quick or somebody might report you. delete the old one

I'll report it anyway, this is pit fodder.

Quote by Degorath

stfu and stop trying to act clever, it doesn't suit you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 6, 2008,