Hey guys! This is my first post. I'm a fairly new guitarist. Anyway, I just bought an Epiphone Les Paul 1956 Gold Top Reissue. I like the guitar, but the pickups are unbelievably loud. I've researched this and found a rather inexpensive compressor pedal for sale in my area. I don't know much about effects, so the thing I can't figure out is whether the compressor will actually silence my pickups or if I am going to be wasting my money.

I have to admit, I really do want to buy some more pedals -- I spent all day building my own pedalboard. Right now, I have a used DL4 that I bought and an older used DOD grunge pedal, and my tuner. (My finger is cut so I can't actually play right now because it's too painful... d'oh!)

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by drewfromutah at Aug 6, 2008,
What do you mean your pickups are loud? Volume wise or is it a noise related issue (hum, feedback, etc)?

If its volume, you need to just turn down the volume on your amp. If its noise, your pickups could either not be grounded well, microphonic or not well potted.

A compressor won't make it quieter. A compressor basically evens things out, so to speak. An example, with a compressor on, picking a note hard will be the same volume as picking a note softly.

edit: I saw your edit and would like to say that the DOD Grunge pedal was the first pedal I ever bought.

I don't know whatever happened to it, but I used it as a doorstop the last few years I had it lol.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 6, 2008,
Sorry for not being clear -- the pickups are P90s and apparently they are all like this -- basically they buzz/hum and it gets incredibly loud as I increase volume. I like to play loud at my house so I definitely need to do something about it. I do need a new amp... I am playing on a practice amp right now so it's hard to balance the volume/buzz to my liking.
Pickups too loud? Lower them? All pickups can be lowered.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
p90s are single coils so they will hum, particularly at higher gain and volume settings.

its just something that you will have to get used to.
Quote by pepsi1187
single coil pickups are supposed to do that; hum and buzz.

Aren't P-90's suppose to be like a cross between singles and humbuckers? I really don't know that much about them.