Page 1 of 2
Ok a long time ago when i first started guitar i needed a amp (as you do), so the only brand of amp i really knew was marshall, so i headed down to the local guitar, asked the guy for a good combo, something thats powerful and easy to use at the same time.

So ya long story short i ended up getting a MG100dfx (For £270 i think). Now two years later i so hate myself for doing that.

So what i what to know is should i sell it, make some money off ebay for it and go spend the money on new gear, if so how much should i sell it for or how much is it likely to sell for. Or should i keep it for future use, that 100 watts could do wonders in future gigs. HELP?

Dan
First

^Now that i posted that, i'm editing.

Yes, sell it. WHy would you want to actually keep an MG, much less a higher-volume one..
Quote by injected
First

^Now that i posted that, i'm editing.

Yes, sell it. WHy would you want to actually keep an MG, much less a higher-volume one..

Wow dude! How'd you get the first post?

umm, on topic: second!
Last edited by tbob at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by tbob
Wow dude! How'd you get the first post?

umm, on topic: second!

Hahaha! You're a douche

TS: Sell the MG because its obviously not doing you any good. What type of music do you play?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Hahaha! You're a douche

TS: Sell the MG because its obviously not doing you any good. What type of music do you play?

Punk-rock-indie mix
Quote by danlally
Punk-rock-indie mix

Well everything depends on your budget. You definitely want to sell the MG and go tube (thats not just me jumping on the "tube" bandwagon or anything, because had you said you played metal I would have suggested something like a Randall SS).

Once we know how much you are willing to spend then we can start making amp suggestions! But definitely tube for you, sir!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Well everything depends on your budget. You definitely want to sell the MG and go tube (thats not just me jumping on the "tube" bandwagon or anything, because had you said you played metal I would have suggested something like a Randall SS).

Once we know how much you are willing to spend then we can start making amp suggestions! But definitely tube for you, sir!

Well my limit would be about £250-£300
Quote by danlally
Well my limit would be about £250-£300

Gigging?

EDIT: Since your amp could be mic'd at a gig if you didn't have the power then I'll just start suggesting now.

Laney VC30
Used Fender Blues Junior
Used Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 Flextone

They're all within you price range, so try to try them out.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Last edited by polaroidvision at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by polaroidvision
Gigging?

i hope.... okey then, around the £500 mark
Quote by danlally
i hope.... okey then, around the £500 mark

Ok, that makes things easier.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Blues Deluxe
Possibly a used Vox AC30
Laney VC30
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Used Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Peavey Classic 30

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
I own the orange tiny terror and punk tones are a plenty!!

although dont expect much clean head room from it!!
I would certainly get rid of that unmusical sounding solid state Marshall. I'd gp for a tube amp, either 18- 30 W depending on how often you would gig and the size of the gigs.

An 18 W tube amp is great because its ideal for practice at home as you can crank pretty high to get a lovely tone without a ridiculous amount of volume. You also have plenty of headroom in a band situtation for small - medium gigs and you can really drive it hard to get that sweet saturated tube sound.

If you are going to be playing at home only, go for a tube amp 10W or under as youll be able to drive it really hard and have a practical volume.
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Aug 6, 2008,
No need to put "Don't Flame Me" in the thread title, if anything you'd great praise for selling it.

Anway, I would sell it. I'd imagine you could get around £150 for it, which you could possibly put towards something like a Laney VC30 if you can add money.

Oh, just noticed you said £500 before. Right, maybe the Tiny Terror Combo? Comes out soon, it's £439 at Sounds Live, and is a more compact portal combo of the head. However, for the same price, you could et the Tiny Terror head + a decent 2x12 to gig with.
^ i agree about not worrying about being flamed. I recently managed to sell my avt, and frankly, i was ecstatic!

Quote by danlally
Punk-rock-indie mix

sell the mg and get a laney vc15 or 30.

EDIT: if you can get up to £500, a peavey classic 30 (though i prefer the laney vcs), vox ac30 and orange rocker 30 might be worth a try as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i agree about not worrying about being flamed. I recently managed to sell my avt, and frankly, i was ecstatic!

Come on Dave, AVT's aren't bad enough to be ecstatic over! Or did you get a good price for it? And why did you have a AVT if you've got an ENGL and a Valve Junior (i think you've a junior )
oh, i had the avt before those, i just never got round to selling it.

and yeah, i have an engl and a VJ. the avt was taking up room, i never played it.

I didn't get a bad price, i got £180 (minus the shop's commission, which was very reasonable, £15).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think you should sell the MG100DFX go for the Marshall MG 250DFX!
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Quote by forsaknazrael
^gtfo.

You Yanks obviously don't see a joke when you see one...

Like friendly fire - woops, you like to do that too!
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh, i had the avt before those, i just never got round to selling it.

and yeah, i have an engl and a VJ. the avt was taking up room, i never played it.

I didn't get a bad price, i got £180 (minus the shop's commission, which was very reasonable, £15).

That is a pretty good price. I'll give you £150 for your ENGL. Oh yeah, take £50 off for commission
I think a used orange rocker 30 would be better than a VC, I wanted one for ages then got to play one, wasnt impressed. Then i played a rocker, loved it, bought it. Price, £420 used
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by Stan_da_man
You Yanks obviously don't see a joke when you see one...

Like friendly fire - woops, you like to do that too!

...i wouldn've thought the smiley showed that i knew you were kidding..

no need to bring anti-american sentiment here..i'm no patriot, but making comments like that only makes you look like the ass here.
Not really mate. Just proves you don't know what sarcasm is and can't take a joke. That's being more of an arse than me.
Quote by Stan_da_man
Not really mate. Just proves you don't know what sarcasm is and can't take a joke. That's being more of an arse than me.

Yeah, okay.

Just don't see why it has to be "yanks" and stuff. There's no need to draw lines.
Whatever, I'm not doing this anymore in this thread.

EDIT: No, spamming it up while arguing with a jackass. Get out of the thread if you aren't going to contribute.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 6, 2008,
Doing what in this thread? Making an arse of yourself? Well done!
Stan da man, ive reported you so pipe down.

I stand by my rocker 30 view, but TS needs to try all these amps himself
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Maybe a Orange AD30 instead of a Rocker 30. You might not need all that gain, and I hear it's a lot different. I've heard some very good indie tones from a couple AD30's.

They're around the same price, so make sure you try both oranges if you're looking at one. Try looking used.
Quote by PendulousThread
Stan da man, ive reported you so pipe down.

Go **** yourself. I got warned for apparently spamming - I'm not allowed to defend myself now.
Listen. You did something wrong and got punished. If you/someome reported forsaknazrael,he would not have gotten in trouble. Why? He didn't make an ass of himself by spamming.

On topic: I think you should sell the amp AND the ME50 and get an Orange Rocker 30.
Quote by Stan_da_man
Go **** yourself. I got warned for apparently spamming - I'm not allowed to defend myself now.

Good.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by polaroidvision
Good.

Haha. Just seen your pic - your a 16 year old geek!
Quote by AdamDK
That is a pretty good price. I'll give you £150 for your ENGL. Oh yeah, take £50 off for commission

haha, no chance.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Stan_da_man

Your an ass.

Oh and and about your comment about sarcasm... its a little hard to see emotions through text.

The doors this way... >>>>>>>>>>>>
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by Stan_da_man

Thanks

EDIT: This thread has gone completely off topic. So I'm gonna try and put it back.

Your best bet is definately to look used. I would say you'd need a more British voiced amp, so look into the Orange Rocker 30 or Vox AC30. If your gigging then the one speaker version would probably be the more practical choice, and if you wanted to change the speaker at any point then it would be cheaper.

Also +1 to acdcrocks on selling the ME-50 as well. I would say you should get a nice tube and and buy some good single effect stompboxes instead. I used to run a Boss GT-3 through my TT and found that it was too digital and just masked the great tube tone. It sounded much better without it.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Last edited by polaroidvision at Aug 6, 2008,
I would sell it. I'm probably going to sell mine.

My only beefs with selling it is that I could always use it as a back up amp if something were to happen to my main amp. Most people at a gig don't give a **** about tone. Especailly if there 2 guitarists.

Or I could always use the other amp for when I'm jamming with people and they can't bring their own amp.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
^ yeah, that's true, depending on the situation, it might be worth keeping as a spare. Depends how much you can get for it, of course. if you can get enough which'd buy you a superior back-up amp, then obviously do that.

Quote by AdamDK
You're missing out on a great deal

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Stan_da_man

Hey shut up, he likes pearl jam and he was born in april. Cooler than you, douche
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Page 1 of 2