Ok, so I've decided I really want to get full blown into theory. I'm doing this on my own with a book and internet. I just got a quick question on chord biulding. Startin basic with the C chord

C Chord:

|--0--
|--1--
|--0--
|--2--
|--3--
|--X--

Got that that is a C chord and what my book says is its made of C-E-G notes. Now if I try this on the fretboard it is E-C-G-E-C-X (With bold being notes held down. I get chords are Triads and are made up of intervals. And in C Major Scale it is a the root, major third, and a perfect fifth. So now I ask the C-E-G notes that make this up being the C note on the second string (Being the root), the open G string (Being the P5) and the E note on the fourth string (being the M3). Is that right and if so why is the C note on the fifth string added? Or is that the root? Or am I completly messed up. Please any help, I've looked at websites but they don't really go into like this. I have a wierd way of needing things broken down and I think once I get this the rest will easly fall into place.

Thanks guys.
The C on top is an octave, the root note just higher.
You don't really need to hit it, but it give a better sound.
Its the same with the E on top, you don't need to hit it to have the full chord
but it makes the sound more full.
So the C note on the A string is the root note then?? And the C note on the B string is just there to make it sound better and fuller. And to make this a minor

Cm

|--0--
|--1--(This one being optional for fuller sound)
|--0--
|--1--
|--3--
|--X--

Am I following this right?
KoolAid you are close as Martindecorum said;
It needs an Eb

That best way (I know) is to think of this is in scales
a C Major Scale is

C D E F G A B C

To make it minor you flat the third, sixth and seventh not one half step (semitone)

C D Eb F G Ab Bb C

Then you use the same Root Third Fifth format, with an optional octave

C Eb G C

There are a few ways to play it but Martindecorum has a really good way.

Your pattern would go best like this

-x-
-1-
-0-
-1-
-3-
-x-

Sorry if you don't get it, I'm not sure how much theory you know.
Quote by kOoL AiD2420

C Chord:

|--0--
|--1--
|--0--
|--2--
|--3--
|--X--

break it down.

3rd
root
5th
3rd
root
(3rd, if played open)

Quote by kOoL AiD2420
So the C note on the A string is the root note then?? And the C note on the B string is just there to make it sound better and fuller. And to make this a minor

Cm

|--0--
|--1--(This one being optional for fuller sound)
|--0--
|--1--
|--3--
|--X--

Am I following this right?
not exactly.
if you play the open e first string that will add a MAJOR third on top. ugly.

(muted)
root
5th
minor 3rd
root
(muted)
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Why would I take out the high E?? The minor formula is 1-b3-5 so following the 1-3-5 for the major that would change it. Why would I take out the High E string?? And also why would that way be the ideal way to play the Cm?

EDIT: Ok nevermind that post. Forgot to refresh.
Last edited by kOoL AiD2420 at Aug 6, 2008,
Ok so when building a minor I don't want to add that Major Third (The high E string) cuase it will kinda override everything kinda to say. So you take that out, but when it is a Major chord I can add that becuase it is part of it. Like Major C-E-G adding that High E string just goes with the Third. But when forming the Minor C-bE-G, if I add that High E it will kinda cancel the bE that made it minor, in a way?
Ok, so I've decided I really want to get full blown into theory. I'm doing this on my own with a book and internet. I just got a quick question on chord biulding. Startin basic with the C chord

C Chord:

|--0--
|--1--
|--0--
|--2--
|--3--
|--X--

Got that that is a C chord and what my book says is its made of C-E-G notes. Now if I try this on the fretboard it is E-C-G-E-C-X (With bold being notes held down. I get chords are Triads and are made up of intervals. And in C Major Scale it is a the root, major third, and a perfect fifth. So now I ask the C-E-G notes that make this up being the C note on the second string (Being the root), the open G string (Being the P5) and the E note on the fourth string (being the M3). Is that right and if so why is the C note on the fifth string added? Or is that the root? Or am I completly messed up. Please any help, I've looked at websites but they don't really go into like this. I have a wierd way of needing things broken down and I think once I get this the rest will easly fall into place.

Thanks guys.
http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

frekin goldmine dude
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm