hey i was just wondering if any one out there could help me write some chords for my jazz piece thats due in like. 5 days. i just cant put anything together.

it needs to be in standard tuning, in the key of c, has to be bebop jazz.

i only need 3-4 7th chords that sound nice and jazzy for my rhythm then i will be rite for the bass, lead, melody,solo ect.

any ways any help would be greatly appreciated
we all know it takes a REAL man to hate some one BETTER THAN YOU
You are just allowed to use 7th chords???

I doN#t believe so, so I will try to make something up for you
Wait a minute.
why thank you kind sir, i been told 7th chords sound jazzy that's all. and the teacher wants a few. but yeah.
7th's, 9th's and 13th's all good but if youve been asked to do it, doesnt it defeat the object having someone do it for you?

Anyhow take a basic progression and well try adding 7ths and 9ths C, F, G
Last edited by johntb at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by johntb
7th's, 9th's and 13th's all good but if youve been asked to do it, doesnt it defeat the object having someone do it for you?

Anyhow take a basic progression and well try adding 7ths and 9ths C, F, G

it does, but i am not a jazz man, i am just a metal head trying to learn 11th grade music after only playing guitar for a year.

but many cookies too you my man. thanks.
Maybe :
C - Csus4 | 2x As an intro like thing
Then :
Csus4 - C | G6 | Dm7 | Fmaj7 | F - Bdim | G
Bassnotes:
C | G | D | A | F | G
End (If wanted)
C -Csus4 | 2x
End on an big C-Chord
BUt I do not know if it really sounds jazzy
Try it.
Last edited by Sphinx1992 at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by Sphinx1992
Maybe :
C - Csus4 | 2x As an intro like thing
Then :
Csus4 - C | G6 | Dm7 | Fmaj7 | F - Bdim | G
Bassnotes:
C | G | D | A | F | G
End (If wanted)
C -Csus4 | 2x
End on an big C-Chord
BUt I do not know if it really sounds jazzy
Try it.

sorry was eating dinner, i'll try it now.
it sounds pretty nice, thank youuu
Quote by abyssalghost
sorry was eating dinner, i'll try it now.

| C C C9 C9 | C C C9 C9 | F7 F9 F13 F7 | C C C9 C9 | G7 G7 F7 F13 | C C C9 C9 ||
| / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / | / / / / |

That should give u an idea of were to put them I hope it makes sense to me anyhow, use ur pinky to change the voice...

Thats what I got taught to start me off learning 7th, 9ths and 13ths try it in a basic 12bar pattern it should give you a good idea on how to add them

edit: damn spacing :x
Last edited by johntb at Aug 6, 2008,
Next time try it yourself...
Learn the basics there are many lessons out there!
Christian
Quote by abyssalghost
hey i was just wondering if any one out there could help me write some chords for my jazz piece thats due in like. 5 days. i just cant put anything together.

it needs to be in standard tuning, in the key of c, has to be bebop jazz.

i only need 3-4 7th chords that sound nice and jazzy for my rhythm then i will be rite for the bass, lead, melody,solo ect.

any ways any help would be greatly appreciated
Maybe use some coltrane changes (google it) in a weird key like C# or B? If you get really lazy, take the chords from giant steps and transpose it and substitute some of those chords.
Seeing as its bebop you might also want a really fast solo with alot of chromatics and superlocrian modes.

I like sphinxs changes, except might I ask why the bassline is moving in fifths? I'm not very good at writing bebop, but wouldnt you want a chromatic-ish bassline?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Just use rhythm changes and make a few embellishments to the chords, such as adding 9ths, or changing some of the m7 chords to 7 chords.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Maybe just do some common jazz progressions. Try a 12-bar, ii-V-I, rhythm changes, coltrane changes, etc.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Do you just need to have a progression? Or does it need to have a head (a melody)?
Don't just throw superlocrian around like that Demon. . Bebop is not very modal tbh, and superlocrian wouldn't have been something they used too often. The problem is that the way you've said that makes one think that you can use superlocrian over a maj7 chord.

I'd just used II-V-Is TS, following the cycle of fourths. That's very typical jazz.
Try this: Cmaj7 Am9 G#13 G13b

It's got that coltrane half step key change with the G#13. Perfect be-bop.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
Quote by confusius
Don't just throw superlocrian around like that Demon. . Bebop is not very modal tbh, and superlocrian wouldn't have been something they used too often. The problem is that the way you've said that makes one think that you can use superlocrian over a maj7 chord.

I'd just used II-V-Is TS, following the cycle of fourths. That's very typical jazz.
Yeah, it does. Remember kids, superlocrian should only be played over straight dominant chords or altered dominant chords. Sorry.

Anyway, whats wrong with superlocrian? I've always thought it fits, as its got a b5, a m3 (or is it a #2?), a M3, and a m7 and you could always use a 5 in there even if the scale doesnt have a fifth. Everything I would want to improvise with in a bebop song.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
#2 would make it Locrian #2. Pat Martino likes that one.

You can also use locrian over half dim chords. They're dominant area chords as well.