Hi,

I have a Peavey Predator plus which I've been monkeying around with for a while and basically teaching myself on. My 40th birthday is coming up and I've been playing a lot more of late and my wife has suggested getting me a better guitar for my brithday. I played a mate's Jackson and realised that gutars could feel a hell of a lot nicer to play than my Peavey - lol.

Anyway, my budget is about £4-500 ($800-$1000 I guess) and I'm limited to what I can get in the uk. I want something versatile, I like playing blues and rock and roll but pretty much try my hand at picking up anything I like. Essentially though I'm after something that is really pleasant to play rather than something that will make me sound like anyone in particular.

I have an old 70's park valve amp but mainly play through a v-amp 2 as I tend to play after the kids have gone to bed. I've recently shielded the peavey and sorted out all the grounds and quite like the sound of it although admitedly some of the pickup settings sound a bit flat and it's no where near as nice to play as my mate's Jackson.

So, I have the following guitars in my list of stuff to try...

Gibson SG Special Faded 3 p/u, Worn White

A PRS SE Custom of some flavour

Fender Strat Highway 1

I'm not overly fussed about having a trem to be honest. My last two guitars have had them and I've tended to remove the arm and simply not use them. My concern if I don't get one is that as I get better I might want one but... I dunno.

Anyway, the question is basically are there any other guitars I should add to the above list or does anyone have any comments on the above. I do want to play all the guitars on the list and won't simply be buying off the internet.

Cheers,

Mark
Well, they all have different tones. Myself, I would get the Highway 1 Strat, because it has a high output that would do rock and blues easily, maybe stepping into metal.

And maybe, if you prefer humbuckers, you could get the HSS Highway 1, which adds extra bite.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Maybe take a look into the Highway 1 Fender Telecaster? Great guitars, USA built. (Link)

Telecasters are great for blues, and would definitely play rock n' roll no problem. And the twang from them is to die for. I'd reccommend you try one out if you can.

I'd also stay away from the Gibson Special Faded SG, because it is more or less a POS Gibson. The quality control is all over the place, and for the price, you'd be better off trying to find an Elitest SG from Epiphone.
Quote by Lil Macker
And maybe, if you prefer humbuckers, you could get the HSS Highway 1, which adds extra bite.
Ah, I didn't realise HSS was an option... I get pretty confused looking at the fender range I must admit. Is there an easy guide somewhere as to what the differences between the models and the country of origins anywhere?

Essentially what I'm trying to avoid is walking away from a shop and then finding out that the particular model I've bought is widely regarded as a complete pile and I've been unable to ascertain that due to my inexperience. For example, the sg is on the list because the reviews seem positive and I like the look
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

agreed, nice selection there (though i'm not too fussed on the prs ses).

blade would be worth a look too, they're very nice, gordon smith might be worth a look too (make sure you try one, though, i've heard the qc isn't always amazing), and if you're willing to go second-hand, a tokai or other japanese copy would be worth a look.

Actually, with £500, you could probably pick up some models of japanese-made tokais new (you need to make sure it's japanese, as they're superior to the non-japanese ones); certainly the sg copies can be picked up for £500.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dernian
Hi,

I have a Peavey Predator plus which I've been monkeying around with for a while and basically teaching myself on. My 40th birthday is coming up and I've been playing a lot more of late and my wife has suggested getting me a better guitar for my brithday. I played a mate's Jackson and realised that gutars could feel a hell of a lot nicer to play than my Peavey - lol.

Anyway, my budget is about £4-500 ($800-$1000 I guess) and I'm limited to what I can get in the uk. I want something versatile, I like playing blues and rock and roll but pretty much try my hand at picking up anything I like. Essentially though I'm after something that is really pleasant to play rather than something that will make me sound like anyone in particular.

I have an old 70's park valve amp but mainly play through a v-amp 2 as I tend to play after the kids have gone to bed. I've recently shielded the peavey and sorted out all the grounds and quite like the sound of it although admitedly some of the pickup settings sound a bit flat and it's no where near as nice to play as my mate's Jackson.

So, I have the following guitars in my list of stuff to try...

Gibson SG Special Faded 3 p/u, Worn White

A PRS SE Custom of some flavour

Fender Strat Highway 1

I'm not overly fussed about having a trem to be honest. My last two guitars have had them and I've tended to remove the arm and simply not use them. My concern if I don't get one is that as I get better I might want one but... I dunno.

Anyway, the question is basically are there any other guitars I should add to the above list or does anyone have any comments on the above. I do want to play all the guitars on the list and won't simply be buying off the internet.

Cheers,

Mark

The strat would probaly be the better choice, versatile, well built and very nice sound.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Thanks very much for all the info

Just as a sanity check... I take it all these guitars are going to be a noticeable step up from the peavey, right? It seems unlikely given the difference between it and the jackson but the peavey isn't some kind of holy grail of bargains that is comparable to a 500 quid highway one and I'm unlikely to notice the difference until I'm a virtuoso is it?

Cheers,

Mark
Quote by dernian
Thanks very much for all the info

Just as a sanity check... I take it all these guitars are going to be a noticeable step up from the peavey, right? It seems unlikely given the difference between it and the jackson but the peavey isn't some kind of holy grail of bargains that is comparable to a 500 quid highway one and I'm unlikely to notice the difference until I'm a virtuoso is it?

Cheers,

Mark

You'll be able to notice the difference, as I can even when I play on a £100 strat copy by someone like Stagg compared to my squier strat even though it was £50 more. What I notice most on a expensive guitar compared to a cheaper one is the wood, it's generally MUCH better looking and nice to play on.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Ok, thanks guys and thanks for the list Steven (or is it Mark?), I'll have a good look through that lot and then head to the shop

Cheers,

Mark
you should notice a difference, but obviously if you try them and don't, hang on to your guitar!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dernian
Ah, I didn't realise HSS was an option... I get pretty confused looking at the fender range I must admit. Is there an easy guide somewhere as to what the differences between the models and the country of origins anywhere?

Essentially what I'm trying to avoid is walking away from a shop and then finding out that the particular model I've bought is widely regarded as a complete pile and I've been unable to ascertain that due to my inexperience. For example, the sg is on the list because the reviews seem positive and I like the look

All Fenders are brilliantly made; if not brilliant, at least good. All the ones that I've played have never let me down.

You should get one, in natural, with a maple neck, cause that looks cool aswell!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
The Strat is definitely a good guitar to get. Also look into Epiphone/Gibson guitars, they have a really wide range of looks. I would recommend spending a good 400 pounds on the guitar and at least a 1000 on the amp, gets you a really awesome sound. Be sure to get a tube amp (they sound much better than the cheaper solid-states), and maybe an overdrive pedal with it or something.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by dernian

no problem at all. tell us what you're looking at, and we'll try to tell you where they're made. Bear in mind that country of origin isn't 100% accurate regarding how good the actual instrument is.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Should I add a Gretsch Electromatic Corvette (what a name!) to the list? I love the look but is it aimed at a different type of music? I couldn't find it in the review section.

Cheers,

Mark
Quote by asfastasdark
The Strat is definitely a good guitar to get. Also look into Epiphone/Gibson guitars, they have a really wide range of looks. I would recommend spending a good 400 pounds on the guitar and at least a 1000 on the amp, gets you a really awesome sound. Be sure to get a tube amp (they sound much better than the cheaper solid-states), and maybe an overdrive pedal with it or something.

Cheers. I'm ok for an amp at the moment. I used to use my old zoom combination effects thing through headphones which sounded dire but I mainly get to play after the kids have gone to bed. I've now got a v-amp 2 which I use instead which sounds great comparatively and since I got that (only a week ago) I've been playing way more. I've also got an old 70s park valve amp...

...which I love to bits.

Regards,

Mark
no idea about the gretsch, but if you can try it easily, you might as well.

nice amp too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
nice amp too.
Ta. Bit of a find in a guitar shop 20 years ago when I bought my first guitar - a marlin . Paid 70 quid for it I think. Then didn't play for years and years...
Used American Standard Strat. You might be able to find one in your budget.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by dernian
Ta. Bit of a find in a guitar shop 20 years ago when I bought my first guitar - a marlin . Paid 70 quid for it I think. Then didn't play for years and years...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Id scour all the secondhand equipment from the big guitar shops. I picked up my rg3270 from Coda Music for the princley sum of £500. Certainly great concidering I was going to buy the same model new from Machinehead for £1100. Admittedly its not in the colour id hav chosen given the choice(Grey-Black) but iv learnt to love its orangeness.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
Id scour all the secondhand equipment from the big guitar shops. I picked up my rg3270 from Coda Music for the princley sum of £500. Certainly great concidering I was going to buy the same model new from Machinehead for £1100. Admittedly its not in the colour id hav chosen given the choice(Grey-Black) but iv learnt to love its orangeness.

Would a 2nd hand usa strat standard be a better buy than a new usa highway 1?

Thanks,

Mark
Quote by lefthandman9876
gibson faded's are really nasty

try a fender telecaster out

but id say the strat is best for you

this man knows his ****

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Normally my stock response is some kind of Ibanez RG as I love them but in your case I'd look elsewhere. They're great at what they do but I think you may find they lack a little versatillity at times and the trem may not be to your liking. Instead, how about these:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=66856

Strats aren't really my thing because I find access to the upper frets difficult compared to my Ibanez and I prefer a flatter fingerboard, which is probably why I selected this one as I much prefer the 12" radius to the usual 9.5". I have had a Strat before and can confirm that the build quality is very good indeed and it gives a wide range of tones. I wouldn't worry about it not having humbuckers as if you later find you really need one you can always fit a stacked pup to give it more balls. They are good guitars and I think this one looks great.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=71829

I know this has a trem system but the ZR unit is seriously good and behaves more like a hardtail than any other trem you're likely to try. Furthermore, the 3-pickup layout gives you plenty of tonal options and you could also coil tap the humbuckers as I did with mine when I upgraded the pups for even more tonal diversity. These are very good guitars indeed and the beautifully contoured shape makes them a dream to play. I really love these things to bits and if it hadn't been for my RG having a thru-neck I'd have bought one of these. This is well worth a look and having owned both a Fender Strat and an Ibanez I can tell you that Ibanez are cvertainly as well screwed together as the equivilant Fender. I also think you'll like the warmer and richer tone of the mahogany on this while the flame maple top makes it gorgeous.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1245

Another really good guitar this but I'm not sure you'll find it as versatile as the previous two even if it does have great pickups. It's worth a try anyway and you'll certainly notice an improvement on your existing axe. The humbucker at the bridge will give it a meatier sound than the Strat but it won't be as warm and rich in tone as the Ibanez as it's using Alder instead of mahogany for the body. I tend to think of it as something in between a Strat and the Ibanez in that respect. That may not make sense but I know what I mean.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=74671

Really good option these if you seriously don't want a trem.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=67539

I nearly didn't include this one as it's not a solid body but it should give you plenty of tonal options and will be great for Blues. Has to be worth a look as a wild card.

I'd love to include a Yamaha here but I just can't see past the SG series and they're too expensive. Anyway, there's enough here to be going on with. All are great guitars and all will be a huge step up from what you have. Enjoy and remember to try the all yourself, ideally where you can play them side by side.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
That's great, thanks very much for the suggestions... much appreciated.

I'm taking my amp over to the shop to try out some guitars tomorrow. I'll report back

Mark
Chaps... a conclusion. I tried out a highway 1, a PRS SE Custom and a gretsch corvette. I looked at the jackson/esp/ibanez stuff and just didn't really want one... don't know why. Anyway, I can't really give a proper appraisal of any of these guitars because I don't know enough. Suffice to say I liked the highway way way better to play than the prs or the gretsch and it feels nicer sat on your knee too. Now I've got it home I love it to bits and it sounds beautiful. I went for wine with rosewood...

Thanks very much for all the advice

Regards.

Mark
excellent
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As an aside I can't recommend Guitar Village in Farnham, Surrey enough for anyone in the area. Really helpful, plenty of time to make your mind up and a couple of discounted bits (half price hard case, free decent lead) easily make up for the fact that you could get the guitar cheaper online. Great place, loads of choice... highly recommended.
yeah, that's what i always say. i mean, if you're getting a £400 guitar for £200 less online, then buy it online. but if you're saving £10 or £20, it's probably not worth it, even for the peace of mind (plus the fact you can probably get stuff thrown in for free anyway, and it might be set up at least half-decently etc.).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by stratdud39
this
Yeah, that seemed to make sense but my ability to judge a second hand guitar wasn't something I wanted to trust to be perfectly honest. They had some 2nd hand standards at GV but they were all upgraded in some way and were all priced around £700 which was a bit out of budget. So I played it safe.
Quote by stratdud39
and nice amp btw

Thanks.
Quote by dernian
As an aside I can't recommend Guitar Village in Farnham, Surrey enough for anyone in the area. Really helpful, plenty of time to make your mind up and a couple of discounted bits (half price hard case, free decent lead) easily make up for the fact that you could get the guitar cheaper online. Great place, loads of choice... highly recommended.

Very much noted.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
i'll probably get flamed for saying this, but I'd also reccomend having a look for an old gibson les paul studio as your shopping around. They seem to be hated on this forum, but I love my '97 model, and they can come in at under £500 (you'll be lucky from a shop though) if you don't mind a well played one with a few dings. Just have a play of a les paul and see what you think, entirely different feel in almost every way to a strat. I had to have a fret dress on mine so the "all in" price was a little over £500, but I am not disappointed.

PS I'm not knocking fenders, I love them and have a japanese strat myself, but try a les paul to see what you think before parting with your hard earned, as you may well prefer the feel compared to a fender.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!