This must be a very stupid question to you people but I've been reading about scales quite a bit now and I'm sure they would help me in my playing but I have no idea how to play them. The problem is I know just about nothing of theory and I'm way too used to playing with tabs.

So could someone please explain to me how I play scales?
Quote by Jimmy94

"I like dark jazz like OPETH"
"you should listen to BETWEEN THE BURIED IN ME"
"that is not real jazz"
"LOL R U KIDDING ME HNNNNGGGG"
A scale is a group of notes. Play those notes anywhere in any order and you are playing that scale.

Is it that you can't interpret scale diagrams?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Just figure out what the correct intervals and notes are and play them in a specific order. I feel like I'm missing part of the question though.
It's like this:

I look up scales, get something like this en then I'm just stuck wondering what to do.
Sorry if it isn't clear.
Quote by Jimmy94

"that is not real jazz"
It is a little unclear, I think it just shows where certain notes are located. Figure out how to construct the scales you want to play and link them together. Perhaps a clearer scale finder would help though.
Em scale:
e|-------------------------------------------12-15-
B|----------------------------------12-15----------
G|--------------------------12-14------------------
D|------------------12-14--------------------------
A|----------12-14----------------------------------
E|-12-15-------------------------------------------
My advice would be to look at some tabs of your favorite songs and compare the tabs to scale diagrams; figure out what notes correspond to the fret positions.

Then take those intervals used in the songs and play them at different positions up and down the neck: bam! different keys. For example, if something is in the key of C and you play the whole thing 2 frets higher than normal, you're playing it in the key of D.

There's also lots of "theory for beginners" lessons on the internet that might help more. Look those up.

Also, let me know if you get anything out of this. I'd really like to help you out on this one.
Last edited by Athetosis at Aug 6, 2008,
Thanks alot everyone.

I just found a good site to help me on my way.
I need to study more.
Quote by Jimmy94

"that is not real jazz"