Hello! I've been observing these forums from my dark shadowy corner for some time now, but it's finally come to the point where I actually had a question, so I made an account and decided to emerge.

Basically, I just started playing guitar back in around January or so of this year. I had picked up an acoustic Epiphone AJ-1, got it for about $100 off of musiciansfriend. Definitely was good enough for me to start on and learn the very basics. But I'm looking to upgrade my guitar, and while I can't really afford the higher class guitars yet (nor do I feel that I need one at this point), a minor upgrade to around that price level would be nice.

Now, the Epiphone Dove and Hummingbird had both caught my eye, as they both seem like decent guitars, as well as having quite some style to them. Now, after a brief overview of these, I noticed the major differences, like the material of the back and sides, and the cosmetic design. But other than that, what are the practical differences between these two guitars, when it comes to their acoustics?

Thanks in advanced for any and all help!
Well, like you said, the two are made of different back/sides. The dove, being made of maple, will give you a brighter sound than the Hummingbird, which I believe is made of Mahogany. Then of course, there are the aesthetic differences. They give off totally different sounds, so my suggestion will be to go to your local guitar center or whatnot, and try the two out. Who knows, you may find that you'll find something else that you like better than either of them.
I walked into the local shop here with my heart set on an Alvarez RD20 as a beater guitar, and ended up walking out with a Yamaha FG730. You never know
Quote by ckim715
Well, like you said, the two are made of different back/sides. The dove, being made of maple, will give you a brighter sound than the Hummingbird, which I believe is made of Mahogany. Then of course, there are the aesthetic differences. They give off totally different sounds, so my suggestion will be to go to your local guitar center or whatnot, and try the two out. Who knows, you may find that you'll find something else that you like better than either of them.

The differences are pretty much just these.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.