I'm going to buy a $450 guitar. Which place of the two, if any, would be more apt to throw in a cheap hard or soft case for free?

If you have any experiences with dealmaking at these places, please post. I've heard of it happening here and there. Apparently, employees at those places have some leeway on dealmaking.
Weapons of choice-
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

Guitar center can't offer any deals on anything under $300, anything over that assistant managers are allowed to give off 5% and if it's over $500 the store manager has the right to offer 10%. You have to act like you're gonna walk out though.

gc also pricematches, if you can find a credible dealer (dealer, not seller) selling for less gc will match the price.

Edit: they definitely won't throw in a case unless you buy something expensive (think $1000).
Quote by merfsullivan
Guitar center can't offer any deals on anything under $300, anything over that assistant managers are allowed to give off 5% and if it's over $500 the store manager has the right to offer 10%. You have to act like you're gonna walk out though.

gc also pricematches, if you can find a credible dealer (dealer, not seller) selling for less gc will match the price.

Edit: they definitely won't throw in a case unless you buy something expensive (think $1000).

Crud. The prices on the guitar at both places are the exact same.
Weapons of choice-
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

Quote by eminentgonz
Crud. The prices on the guitar at both places are the exact same.

thats because they are both owned by the same parent company. what guitar are u buyin?
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Epi Les Paul Standard. I've been scouring for a while and, while online tends to be a bit cheaper, I don't trust online for guitars yet. I need to feel the guitar in my hands before I buy it.
Weapons of choice-
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

Well my friend bought and epi les paul standard last summer in guitar center, and he found a way to get a bunch of stuff for free, but not a case...

He got the guitar set-up, some cleaning supplies, a strap, picks and extra strings for free

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
If I can get 5% off on a guitar, case, and strap, then that's just as good.
Weapons of choice-
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

sam ash.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Went to Sam Ash-

500 bucks after tax for-
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Honeyburst): normally $449 + 7% tax = $480
Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar Case: normally $70 + 7% tax = $75
Strap: normally $10 + 7% tax = $11

Normal = $566

In the end, it came out to be a little more than 10%, which is what I needed.
Weapons of choice-
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

Guitar Center. My first time in Sam Ash, I was right nex to a guy buying a 3 Grand PRS Custom 24, and the store manager refused to give him a hard case for it.

Not for anything, I'm buying a $3,000 dollar, you damn well better be giving me a hard case. Guitar Center's at least willing to do that, and you could probably talk them down on the price a bit too (even tough they're technicall not suppose to, just like the DMV's not suppose to take forever ). Seriously though, Guitar Center would be your best bet.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Guitar Center. My first time in Sam Ash, I was right nex to a guy buying a 3 Grand PRS Custom 24, and the store manager refused to give him a hard case for it.

Not for anything, I'm buying a $3,000 dollar, you damn well better be giving me a hard case. Guitar Center's at least willing to do that, and you could probably talk them down on the price a bit too (even tough they're technicall not suppose to, just like the DMV's not suppose to take forever ). Seriously though, Guitar Center would be your best bet.

I'd say that's more just the manager, not the entire chain. I know at my GC you really can't negotiate, while the guys at sam ash are willing to etch off quite a bit if you're buying something nice and you're sporting the cash.

TC that is a pretty good deal you got there!

And I have to agree, any guitar over $800 should atleast come with a gig bag or discounted hard case, and anything over $1,000 should be a free hard case, no questions asked. But that's my opinion and I'm not running the cost/profit margins, but on a $3,000 guitar like someone mentioned? Holy ****, I wouldn't even have bought the thing.
Quote by merfsullivan

Wow, so say I want this amp: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051

If it costs more at GC then will I be able to tell them that it is cheaper at Musicians Friend and they'll match the price?
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
Quote by gilbs73
Wow, so say I want this amp: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051

If it costs more at GC then will I be able to tell them that it is cheaper at Musicians Friend and they'll match the price?

Someone said in GG&A that GC is selling them at that price right now as well...
guitarcenter will match any price you can find them, but they are not allowed to discount anymore. sam ash is not as big as a competitor to george's music as gc, so i dont know about them. but guitar center is not supposed to budge at all anymore.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte