Ok.. basically this week i will be ordering my standard mex bass. The problem is ive tried out the p and j on many occasions and i cant decide between them. I know that ppl say "the j has more versaitality and offers more tones" but can it really get that vintage p sound, which i personally love. With that in mind i also am a huge fan of norman watt-roy of the blockheads (if anyone knows him) and really want that funky jazzy sound that you get from the J.

Does anyone have any pros and cons from these basses which will help me come to my decision?

I also adapt well to each neck so that isnt a problem.
i'd go with a jazz bass in this situation. a jazz bass can get closer to the sound of a p bass than a p bass can get to the sound of a jazz bass.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
i'd go with a jazz bass in this situation. a jazz bass can get closer to the sound of a p bass than a p bass can get to the sound of a jazz bass.

This.
"Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away"
funkbass is right, a jazz bass would be better in your situation, because it can get a wider range of sounds including something similar to that of the p bass. Just make sure you like how it feels to play aswell before you put your money down on either one
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I find that with the bridge p/u off, and the tone rolled off you can get pretty close to that thumpin P tone.
cool, thats good to know, Yeah i like the playabillity of both basses, perhaps the p bass more because its chunkier and im kind of big, but thanks for the suggestions, im probably swaying more to the j now.
i say jazz, only get a P if you really want P, or have money for 2 basses huzah
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Don't buy a P for that "vintage P" tone, because it probably won't be able to get it. Can someone tell me if that's right? I know you may be able to get close(r than the J) but don't buy it in the hope that you will be able to get the tone you can hear in your head.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
It seems like to me, you really want the p bass over the j bass and if it will make you happy, you might as well go for the p bass! I'm sure you'll like it.
Quote by ccmetz2020
It seems like to me, you really want the p bass over the j bass and if it will make you happy, you might as well go for the p bass! I'm sure you'll like it.

Haha, you are infact correct, after some thought, im 100% Precision!
then go precision.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
you realise i have now singled you out as a p bass user along with indiebassist

nah i kid, i kid

you're doomed
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
you realise i have now singled you out as a p bass user along with indiebassist

nah i kid, i kid

you're doomed

i use a p bass.....

i'm discriminated against
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
i use a p bass.....

i'm discriminated against

your name shall also go on ze list
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by skater dan0
your name shall also go on ze list

we need a precision group
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Last edited by CaptainJack666 at Aug 7, 2008,
I have never gotten a Jazz bass to sound like a precision.... Yeah, you can come close, but not close enough. I'm also glad that the bass forum failed at trying to get you to play Jazz.
Its some what like there is a deep hatred for precisons, its odd.
Gear
Peavy Basic 60 bass amp
Fender American Precison W/Quarter pounders
SX SPJ-62
Acoustic B100
SX SJB-75 LTD NA
Quote by JobyByTheNight
I have never gotten a Jazz bass to sound like a precision.... Yeah, you can come close, but not close enough. I'm also glad that the bass forum failed at trying to get you to play Jazz.
Its some what like there is a deep hatred for precisons, its odd.

you do realise nobody here has ever said you can get a p bass tone out of jazz we've all said you can get a similar tone not the same tone.

and there's no deep hatred for p basses any more than there is for schecters, or ebmm stingrays, it's all preference, it just happens that a lot of people on this forum chose jazz basses over p basses and would therefore recommend the j over the p
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
so, are you saying you like the sound and feel of a P-Bass, but you don't want to miss out on those Funky Jazz bass tones?
I think you can get P basses that have an extra jazz bass pickup - I think they're called P bass specials.
I think You can get basses with all three pickups (like, jazz, pbass, jazz) as well, But they might be a little harder to find, and will probably be a jazz bass or other styled guitar.
Quote by Mutant Corn
^ Yeah, a P/J bass would be a nice find

theyre not rare. although it is a shame they come in awful colours wiht an even more awful gold pickguard
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...