Okay. i want to mod my LP. I need to clarify a few things.

1.)I want to move my pickup selector from the place it is to where one of the vol pots is, is it possible to take out the vol pot and have both pickup wires soldered to one volume pot??? (if this makes sense)

2.) can i add a 24 fret neck to a guitar that is designed for a 22 fret neck or do i need to do something to it? if so what??

thankyou, Aidan.
1) yes, you could do that

2) err. you can't change the neck on a les paul O_o
number one can be done. i dont think number two can be done cause of the neck joint.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
How would you go about removing the set neck is my question.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
By breaking it.

Good luck fixing it after its broken.

24 Fret necks are not the same as 22 frets, and they mount in a different location. I've recently built two guitars using 22 fret bodies and 24 fret necks. On both, I had to cut the neck pocket further into the body towards the bridge to get the scale correct. Otherwise, it will never intonate and plays really far out of tune up on those extra two frets.

Those were both bolt-on guitars, though.

If you had to cut a Les Paul neck pocket closer to the bridge, you'd hit your neck pickup.

All this adds up to buying a different guitar, or living without those two frets.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Quote by Brendan.Clace
How would you go about removing the set neck is my question.

You apply steam to the neck pocket until the glue is loosened and then it should come out. This is how I have seen it done anyway. I don't think what you want to do would really be worth it. You should just get a 24 fret guitar.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Steaming a neck off is really for hide glue (the stuff made from horses)

Your neck is most likely glued on with wood glue, and it doesn't care to be steamed off very much. It's pretty likely you will damage some stuff getting it off.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
Steaming a neck off is really for hide glue (the stuff made from horses)

Your neck is most likely glued on with wood glue, and it doesn't care to be steamed off very much. It's pretty likely you will damage some stuff getting it off.

Ah ok, I have seen it done on guitars before.. I wouldn't attempt it. The most recent one was a video on how to remove a neck from an acoustic guitar. He steamed it off. I thought I had seen something about an LP though.
ok, i know i cant remove the neck now!! so, how would i go about putting the selector switch in place of volume knob and hook up the other volume knob so it controls both?
Drill a new hole where you want to move your switch, cover or fill the old hole (or keep a switch there that does something else), install the switch in the new location, rewire everything to use only 2 pots (just google a double humbucker single volume/ton diagram).

As far as changing the neck, it can be done but it would be extremely difficult, probably destroy the original neck, and you would have to find or build a replacement neck that has the right sized tenon and a large 24 fret overhang that would likely require you to take out or move your neck pickup.
You could put a killswitch where the old 3 way went.
Quote by nebiru
You could put a killswitch where the old 3 way went.

Oh, cool idea.
My Music
you could always remove the fingerboard and put a new one on with 24 frets. You'd have to re-route the neck pickup cavity though coz it'd be pushed back a little by the longer f/board.
Quote by bass wizard
Okay. i want to mod my LP. I need to clarify a few things.

1.)I want to move my pickup selector from the place it is to where one of the vol pots is,
sounds reasonable.

Quote by bass wizard
is it possible to take out the vol pot and have both pickup wires soldered to one volume pot??? (if this makes sense
not exactly. this will be a bit different from what you've described.

right now you have:

pickup --> tone & volume control --> selector --> output jack.
pickup --> tone & volume control --------^

to use a 2 volume control and 2 tone controls:

pickup --> tone control --> selector --> volume control --> output jack.
pickup --> tone control --------^
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Here's a wiring diagram similar to what SYK is referring to.
http://www.guitartechcraig.com/techwire/tech04.jpg
I'd put some kind of switch in the location of the old selector. It will look weird otherwise. It could do nothing, be a killswitch, coil-split switch, series/parallel switch, phase switch, capacitor switch, etc.