Do you think they are really interested in gear, or do you assume that they just want to make a sale and are willing to say anything to do so?

Do you think that there is even the slightest bit of interest that goes beyond simply doing business?

I am pretty sure I would make a terrible salesman, all I would want to do is talk gear and would not be hesitant to tell you not to buy something if I thought it was no good.

I also think it's kind of depressing that your passion is turned into something that is akin to selling used cars.
Not always, I was just looking at some pedals once and when i started to get close to one of the multi-effects (can't remember which one, but it was the most expensive one), one of the salesman told me that it was a piece of crap and that i should look at something else.
Meh, i've never had this problem, all the guitar shops i've ever been in have been run by guys that play so theyre pretty much enthusiasts. The worst i've had to deal with is when i had to explain to a worker the difference between a valve and solid state amp lolz.
i think i would be a good sales person, not by selling the most **** but by having satisfied customers. i couldnt talk someone into buying something i wouldnt play.
I know one honest guitar salesman. He's really cool too and can just chat about guitar and doesn't care if I have no intention of buying anything. The last time I went to the shop we got a couple of guitars and just jammed out in one of the amp testing rooms. They should all be like that.
It depends on the store really. At the store that I go to, I have a sales guy that my brother and I do all our business with, and we're pretty tight with him. He does us favors too, like once my brothers amp that he bought a month before broke, and he just gave us a brand new one from the back. Usually they are supposed to take it into service for a couple weeks to see what was wrong and then fix it/give you a new one. We talk gear a lot too and it's pretty sweet.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
I do sell gear in a local shop, there's the gear I like and the gear I dislike,
I'm not working on commission but it is my job to sell so I do it anyways. Thing is, if there's a kid that comes in, I'll ask him if i can help. If he tells me that he's looking to start out I won't be a pusher to sell him the most expensive gear, I'll go take a tour, showing him options, and equipment within his price range. Then let them play until he finds the right one, and if he never played I'll do my best to make the guitar sound as good as it can on the spot with the gear he decided on and try to put some emphasis on the qualities of the desired guitar other than criticizing it, after all you're selling a guitar right, not trying to leave it there collecting dust. If they aren't new, to guitar playing, then i might show them higher end gear and really get them interested, but other than I like selling for the satisfaction of making someone happy by giving an instrument it's right full home.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Last edited by 68_SG at Aug 6, 2008,
Most are cool, tbh, but there are a couple of tools in my local who don't know ****, but assume that since I'm youngish, I won't either.

Like when they told me some Peavey valve-amp was solid state...:/

I said "Dude, 'valve' is written on the front in massive letters."

The reply was, "That's just the name of the brand."

My face was :O "Wut?"
Quote by Mazzakazza
Most are cool, tbh, but there are a couple of tools in my local who don't know ****, but assume that since I'm youngish, I won't either.

Like when they told me some Peavey valve-amp was solid state...:/

I said "Dude, 'valve' is written on the front in massive letters."

The reply was, "That's just the name of the brand."

My face was :O "Wut?"

Brighton eh, so you go to Gak? I would have thought the GAK guys would be alright.
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Brighton eh, so you go to Gak? I would have thought the GAK guys would be alright.

It wasn't GAK, smaller shop, I'd prefer not to slate a small dealer's by naming, even if they talk crap.