Hey,

So I've been looking for a new amp, and I think I'm going to go with a Valvetronix VT... or maybe a VT-XL

The thing is, I was testing out a 50 watt version at the store (all they have). I like the sound, but I think 50 watts may be too much for me (95% of the time I play at home in my room... the odd jam session every now and then).

I'm wondering however, if I get them to order in a 30w version, will it sound the same? Is it just the power that changes between different watt versions of an amp, or does the sound change too? As well, will a valvetronix sound decent on low volume?

Finally, does anyone have any thoughts on VT or VT-XL? I play anything from blues, to classic rock, to modern rock, to metal. I'm going to go try both amps side by side today, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts on the matter.

PS Thanks for the help so far. If it wasn't for your comments, I might have bought a Spider III, and after playing a number of amps now, I realize that would have been a mistake.

Matt
Well, you'd be better off with the 30w version, I think. Since you won't be turning it up a lot, then there's no point having that amount of power. And I don't think there's a big sound difference either.

And, get the VT, it kicks more ass and it's less muddy.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker

And, get the VT, it kicks more ass and it's less muddy.

What if I wanted to use a pedal to squeeze a hard rock/metal sound out of the VT? Any idea if that would sound half decent?

I read a review here on UG that the XL caps the gain on the clean channels, thus you cant use a pedal. Of course, there's no need to use a pedal on the XL, but I don't know if the VT does the same thing or not?

Matt
I think they go well with pedals, but it has high gain presets anyway; the XL is mainly for high gain music.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
I think they go well with pedals, but it has high gain presets anyway; the XL is mainly for high gain music.

Yeah, the XL seems to be over shooting my low gain needs. However, the VT doesn't quite meet my high gain needs. However, I figure its better to try and boost the gain with a pedal, the get an amp that has too much gain.

But like I said, I'm going to try them both out again today, side by side.

Matt