Hi all. Is it possible to get a nice 70's British kinda Marshall style crunch out of an Orange Rocker 30? Or should I save up some more and get a Metro Plexi?

Thanks
depends how anal you are.

the 70s Orange tone is more of a low mid range growl compared to the high midrange honk of a Marshall. I don't know how a Rocker30 compares with say... an AD30 or something so I couldn't really tell you.

The Rocker30 should be able to do a fair job, the Metropoulos will replicate the Marshall tones exactly. It depends which plexi you are looking at though.
You'll probably be happier w/ the Orange, as plexis need to be ridiculously loud to break up.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
You'll probably be happier w/ the Orange, as plexis need to be ridiculously loud to break up.

but if you want that true 60s/70s brit crunch you'll need that el34 breakup no matter what amp you have.

to the TS: I have a Metro JTM45, its currently quite incapacitated (I built it from one of their kits, so its of no fault of George Metropoulos, more to do with my own incompetence). But they make top quality amps.
^ Don't be a jerk, and read. He said should he save up more for a Marshall... As in, if an orange 30 is ok he'll save money, money he doesn't have. He asked a simple question; will the rocker 30 do that tone. You condescending posters always putting down people for not having unlimited funds piss me off.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime please ost a pic of your rig everytime i see you post i forget what you say and look at your rig lol

anyway i think the orange would do the job you could always push it with a tubescreamer

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by tubetime86
^ Don't be a jerk, and read. He said should he save up more for a Marshall... As in, if an orange 30 is ok he'll save money, money he doesn't have. He asked a simple question; will the rocker 30 do that tone. You condescending posters always putting down people for not having unlimited funds piss me off.

Dude chill the **** out, that wasnt intended to be condescending in the slightest. How about you stop to think for 2 two seconds before spouting out bull**** that maybe the way you read a post might not be the way it was intended. I will happily admit that i didnt know the metro plexi was a marshall amp or how much it cost. I worked very hard for the money to pay for my kit so you can take your assumptions and ram them up ure arse.

So how about you do abit of introspection about your own intentions before you go shooting your mouth off dickweed.
Quote by al112987
but if you want that true 60s/70s brit crunch you'll need that el34 breakup no matter what amp you have.

to the TS: I have a Metro JTM45, its currently quite incapacitated (I built it from one of their kits, so its of no fault of George Metropoulos, more to do with my own incompetence). But they make top quality amps.

He said "kinda Marshall", not absolutely dead on. But I agree. Nothing sounds like wide open EL34s. God, I love that tone. If you want that tone at normal volumes, BTW, read my other posts about re-amping .

To that other guy who said just get a Marshall-there's lots of higher quality amps these days that will get vintage Marshall sound as good as the old Marshalls, & better than the new Marshalls by far.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
^^^ My sig is a joke, I can't believe people don't get that. I guess it goes to show how rediculously nice some rigs here are. I have a peavey windsor, and a ****ty Ibanez.

^^ My intentions are to try to be helpful to people when I am knowledgeable, and not post when I am not. If you didn't know what you were talking about, which you admitted, don't post. Especially don't post if all you have to say is a one-liner sarcastic remark. I know you said introspection but that's my outrospection, I'll do the intro later.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
to the TS

check out Greg Germino's amps too. They're also great plexis, slightly (very slightly) cheaper than the Metros, but also top of the line.
Alright thanks for your replies guys. I've decided that I'm gonna work some more and get that extra money and buy a Metro 100 plexi kit and a Weber attenuator (if there is a better attenuator at a similar price, please let me know).

And yeah, those Germino amps look good. But they don't have kits so I'll have to pass.
Yeah, the Metro should be great for what you're looking for, the Rocker series is supposed to be slightly more modern sounding than the typical Orange. the kits are a great bang for the buck though I'd love to have an amp built by George eventually (maybe after I finish med school and residency! 10 years from now ).

Most guys at the Metro forum suggest the Ho/Ultimate attenuator over the Weber. They're more expensive though (a few hundred more), but are the best available.
Can a Rocker 30 do Marshall tone?

Well I own one. Before it owned a Plexi. Problem was, the Plexi was too loud. I needed an amp that would get the same tone on lower volumes. I got the Rocker 30. with a Celestion G12H30, it's DEAD on! Actually it sounds very much like a "recorded" Plexi in a sense...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
This thread only need a one word answer, and that word is yes.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
^+1

Orange do Marshall better than Marshall IMO. The Rocker series especially sounds like a JCM on steriods at higher gain levels, with a nice Plexi-Esque tone if you turn it up with the gain a little lower.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
^+1

Orange do Marshall better than Marshall IMO. The Rocker series especially sounds like a JCM on steriods at higher gain levels, with a nice Plexi-Esque tone if you turn it up with the gain a little lower.

I hope you mean they do brit voiced crunch better than Marshall. In the end, an Orange sounds like an Orange, a Marshall sounds like a Marshall. I take a plexi 10 times out of 10 over an Orange if I want "Marshall" tone. I'd expect most others would do the same.

Pagey with an Orange http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGTnmd98ALA

Page with a super lead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2iJWuOw9vw

As you can tell, different kind of crunch. Both are awesome amps, but sound distinctly different.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 6, 2008,
^I can see where your heading. However I love the Plexi crunch and I chose Orange. So it isn't 100% true.

Plexis are great, but IMO they are't as useful today, they're just too loud!

Oh and I'd say that Orange are WAY better than modern Marshalls (including reissues IMO) than Marshall at doing that tone!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I agree that Marshall plexis are useless unless turned up, but there are ways to tame the volume (PPIMV, attenuator), though they only really work well when not overused (I wouldn't attenuate anymore than -8 dB or try to use a PPIMV to get bedroom level tone)

Oranges are great amps and do the brit crunch wonderfully, I'm just saying, they don't sound like Marshalls, so you can't say they do the Marshall tone better than Marshall.

And yes, I agree that they are way better than modern Marshalls and reissues. Anyone who wants to buy a plexi has to go boutique these days.
^Yeah that's the concept I meant as well with Marshall tone; it's more of a type of sound than the tone from a marshall. I also agree that plexis are better, it's just that Oranges are more practical with less comprimise.
Quote by al112987
I hope you mean they do brit voiced crunch better than Marshall. In the end, an Orange sounds like an Orange, a Marshall sounds like a Marshall. I take a plexi 10 times out of 10 over an Orange if I want "Marshall" tone. I'd expect most others would do the same.

Pagey with an Orange http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGTnmd98ALA

Page with a super lead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2iJWuOw9vw

As you can tell, different kind of crunch. Both are awesome amps, but sound distinctly different.

Yeah the Orange has definitely got a more "growl" sound while Marshall has crunch.

By the way, what the hell is a PPIMV?
Quote by al112987
I agree that Marshall plexis are useless unless turned up, but there are ways to tame the volume (PPIMV, attenuator), though they only really work well when not overused (I wouldn't attenuate anymore than -8 dB or try to use a PPIMV to get bedroom level tone)

Oranges are great amps and do the brit crunch wonderfully, I'm just saying, they don't sound like Marshalls, so you can't say they do the Marshall tone better than Marshall.

And yes, I agree that they are way better than modern Marshalls and reissues. Anyone who wants to buy a plexi has to go boutique these days.

You have a point there!

However to me, the Rocker 30 sounds BETTER compared to a Plexi. It's got more bottom to it, the Plexi is a tad bit too thin for me. Also it's easier to overdrive.

I'll soon do some new soundclips of it, but my Plexi sounds like a Plexi on steroids!
Listen to this in the meanwhile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtKpsi-oAY8
Old speaker, sh*tt-y cam.
Will do a new one VERY soon, with my new pro Canon HD cam and a studio condesner (the Canon has XLR inputs) for better tone!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by johnhud
Yeah the Orange has definitely got a more "growl" sound while Marshall has crunch.

By the way, what the hell is a PPIMV?

Yeah, I prefer the honk of a les paul through a Marshall to the growl of an Orange. Btw, which 100 watter are you looking at? ('66, '67, or '68?) The benefit of building the amp yourself is that you are getting a handwired, point to point amp using the best quality components for a very good price.

the PPIMV is a post phase inverter master volume, if you're do build a 100 watter, you will hear plenty about it from other builders. Basically, most volume/master controls on modern amps are placed before the phase inverter tube (the last preamp tube before the power section), the PPIMV puts the master after the phase inverter. Thus giving you more gain at lower volumes. Its better than most conventional volume controls, but still isn't the same as cranking your amp to 10, and shouldn't be thought of as a substitute for an attenuator. In practical use, its just a master volume and lets you use your channel volumes as a gain knobs like on most modern amps. Its a pretty useful mod, very simple to make and completely reversible, George at Metro sells the needed pots and diagrams for $12 bucks.

Its useful for if you want to keep the volume down slightly, the vintage modern series uses PPIMV (thats the only amp where I've tried it) and it will kill dynamics and tone if kept too low (like any tube amp that isn't cranked), but if used to trim a 4th or so off, you are still getting the preamp gain, phase inverter gain and some power stage gain and sounds pretty good.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 6, 2008,